Flexvolt Battery Won't Charge

Jronman

I have had the same problem twice now. 

Facts.....

Purchased a new dcb606 battery and a dcs570b 7 1/4 circular saw

6 mos later I left the my batteries sitting out and it rained.

This didn't affect any of my other varity if 20v dealt batteries , 

The dcb606 never worked again.  

I tried several chargers with no luck, dewalt, willing to help out offered too send me a battery cap "red safety cap" and a shipping label. Told me the whole process could take 5 to 20 days with shipping. 

I was able to exchange at runnings were I purchased it instead.  

The battery they gave me in exchange was brand new.  

I used it once or twice after charging it,  not killing the battery...

Three weeks later I pulled the saw with the bat plugged in from my trailer to use it and it was dead,  so I attempted yup charge it,  

This battery was also defective.  I was able to exchange the bat again,  but before I did I took it apart to see what was going on.  

There was no moisture in there , however on the end of one cell it had leakage, 

I tried to jump the bat like ppl do with nicad's I made jumpers and connected all the terminals to the same terminal on a 5ah dewalt battery,  this did make the leds show 2 bars in charge so I disconnected the jumpers and attempted to charge on a normal charger.  

No luck, so I repeated the jumper process until I heard a noise, then it was game over it showed no bars when i checked the gauge and also did not accept a charge on the charger,  

So then the store exchanged it for me. 

They told me it's the last time.....

I've decided to put a piece of masking tape on the side of this battery each time I charge it I'm going to put a mark on the tape I'm willing to bet that I don't get more than 20 charges before I repost on here that it's done working we will see.

Yeah I'm not against dealing with their warranty department it's just A5 to 20 day turnaround to send it to a service center that bothers me. I think that it's come to a point where I need to treat these batteries like Paslode nail guns I need to have a spare so when my other one breaks down I can send it in and I still have one to use while I wait for my return

😁 I also had a brand new one replaced. Not sure if it was defective or not but it would only ever show two LEDs on the charge status when fully charged. Walked into the store I bought it without a receipt and walked out with a new one two minutes later. 

1 hour ago, Robquillan77 said:

Yeah I'm not against dealing with their warranty department it's just A5 to 20 day turnaround to send it to a service center that bothers me. I think that it's come to a point where I need to treat these batteries like Paslode nail guns I need to have a spare so when my other one breaks down I can send it in and I still have one to use while I wait for my return

I didn’t have to send them the old battery they just sent me out a new one. Give em a call man the worst case is you wasted five minutes. Dewalt will try to take care of you

• 7 months later...

I returned a Flexvolt today to a warranty center. This is what I was told. I was told that the batteries need to be recharged at least once a month or they will fail. This was told to me by the technician at the warranty center. He said that the circuit board fails if not recharged regularly and that the batteries should not stay on the shelf for more than a month. If this is true, then DeWalt will be confronting LOTS of problems. Has anyone heard something similar?

I checked the flexvolt chainsaw manual and the only directives for long term storage are to keep the battery pack fully charged in a dry and cool place, out of the charger. There is no mention about the need of regular recharge, I wonder if this is an assumption based on their experience with previously defective packs or an actual recommendation from Dewalt.

3 hours ago, stefcl100 said:

I checked the flexvolt chainsaw manual and the only directives for long term storage are to keep the battery pack fully charged in a dry and cool place, out of the charger. There is no mention about the need of regular recharge, I wonder if this is an assumption based on their experience with previously defective packs or an actual recommendation from Dewalt.

I have written the following to DeWalt. Let's see what the response will be.

I have a Flexvolt battery that failed. After charging it only shows 1 bar. I went to turn it in for warranty and the technician asked where I store the battery when not in use. I indicated that I stored it in my home workshop. After testing the battery he indicated that it had failed because I did not charge it on a monthly basis. He said, "If you don't eat for a week, what happens?" I responded that I get weak and ill. He said the same applies to the battery and that they fail if not charged at least monthly. I think that this is a real problem for DeWalt if this is true. There is no warning or instructions that this is necessary. I also saw two others at the warranty center returning batteries for the same reason. This seems to be an issue. How will deWalt handle this? What if I have other batteries fail? How long will you honor the warrantees on these batteries? 
Please advise 
Ray

• Like 1

What's funny is that I got into arguments about being able to do this. Everyone said it was for NiCad only, then a couple guys on youtube do it and now everyone agrees it will work.
You are talking about two different problems. Old NiCds form needle like deposits called dendrites that short out cells in the pack. Applying a higher voltage source,like a car battery, monentarilly, across the cell, will blow the dendrite apart, like a fuse. I have done it with mixed results. Lithium cells go bad if the voltage is allowed to drop too low. They just won't take a charge. There are ways to sometimes coax them back up.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

And promised......here are the email exchanges from DeWalt.......not very productive. I mentioned a class action suit just to see if they escalate this to someone who can provide an answer.

Hi Ray, 

Thank you for contacting us.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience, the service center is where the warranty evaluation will take place and warranty will be determined. I can forward your complaint over to the manager at the service center you are referring to so they can take a look and give you a call back about this issue in a timely manner. Can I please know what center you went to?

In case this email does not fully answer your question, or you would like to contact us for any reason, simply reply to this email.

Thank you,
Cezzy
DEWALT Customer Care
Visit us online at http://www.dewalt.com

MY Reply
I am replying since this answer was unresponsive.Essentially I am asking what DeWalt will be doing about the batteries that fail based upon the technician’s information that they must be charged once a month. This is not stated in directions and essentially what I want is DeWalt’s position on warranty when some of the batteries are 2 years old or so,.

In the US dewalt has a 3 year warranty on batteries so if theyre 2 years old you shouldn't have any problem getting a new one.  I hope the guy at the service center isn't trying to deny a warranty claim.  While he's maybe observed that batteries that are charged monthly don't seem to fail as often I don't belive that is Dewalts official take on battery maintenance.  I'm no battery expert but I think the biggest thing is to not let lithium cells drain too low or won't take a charge.  There is a lot of in depth discussion about battery care in this forum if you dig a little.  If I remember right some lab did some testing and said that they should be stored at like 33% (don't quote me on that exact number).  The other thing that wouldn't make any sense about what the service center said is batteries can sit on a store shelf for months probably years in some cases and those batteries aren't charged every month.

• 7 months later...

Hi guys, 

Long time, no speak. 

Just had my first flexvolt fail, a blacktop 2/6. Same symptoms as mentioned, solid red light, but not taking a charge. It's less than three years old. I've emailed Dewalt here in the UK, will let you know what they say.