Makita Battery cell 20700

Ned

5 minutes ago, Stercorarius said:

The only way they could just go taller is if maybe they turned the cells so they are set in vertical. 20700 and 21700 cells would be 5mm longer so you would need 5mm spacing between the batteries and 2.5mm on the outsides of the two batteries unless they can cut out a good chunk of the battery shell. I guess we shall see when they release them. Curious as to how much space the 18x2 recip and circular saws have. I think a few guys have them on here.

Very curious indeed how they will solve the problem :)

10 minutes ago, Stercorarius said:

The only way they could just go taller is if maybe they turned the cells so they are set in vertical. 20700 and 21700 cells would be 5mm longer so you would need 5mm spacing between the batteries and 2.5mm on the outsides of the two batteries unless they can cut out a good chunk of the battery shell. I guess we shall see when they release them. Curious as to how much space the 18x2 recip and circular saws have. I think a few guys have them on here.

I’ll try to post a pic in a little bit bro, I’m out wonterizing the pool and having a much wanted Shock Top right now 👍

27 minutes ago, Stercorarius said:

I think that x2 and all new (from last 2-3) and definitely the very newest from this Year have the space required for the extra width if 20700 cell and as for if 21700 than they will just bit longer which will be fine with x2 tool as the batteries are perpendicular to the machine body and only the width mater but ones again they (Makita) counted on for the extra width of 20700 cell.

Ones again just personal opinion   

This article is about the newest Bosch ProCore batteries but Makita will be nothing short of it as well as the timing.

"Written on 30.09.2017, 16:57 o’clock

So, if the 6.3ah high amp Eneracer batteries weren't enough, Bosch looks set for a re-brand with 3 new battery sizes, code name ProCore (the Eneracers were called Core in the US...). 
The sizes are a suspected 3.5ah slim pack (this one interests me most if I'm honest - decent juice but light and compact), a "universal" 7.0ah, same pack size as the Eneracer and an "endurance" pack that, doing a bit of 2+2, many suspect will be a whopping 10.5ah! 
The old coolpacks used the now common-or-garden 18650 cells. The Eneracers use the 20700 cells, with 2 rows of 5 delivering 6.3ah. If the new "universal" ProCore is delivering 7ah and capable of 90 amps (!! what's that ... like a 1600w equivolent?), I suspect Bosch are using the 21700 cells for the ProCores? 
I read in toolguyd.com that we're looking at paying in order of Euro199/$237 for the 7.0ah. 
Given the performance and endurance I currently get from my couple of Eneracers, I won't be rushing out to buy one (if and when we get them in the UK - 2018?) of the 7.0 ProCores. 
What this new battery range does have me holding out hope for is an 18V plunge saw, table saw and mitre saw (duel bevel mind!). An 18V random orbital sander would be nice too ;), not that it would need a 7.0ah+ battery. "

1 hour ago, Stercorarius said:

While it wouldn't be ideal there's every possibility an adaptor or shoe could be offered that will offset the batteries to give a wider spacing. Based on the image I've attached but set up to fit current 18x2 tools. 

bcv03.jpg

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Ned said:
This article is about the newest Bosch ProCore batteries but Makita will be nothing short of it as well as the timing.

"Written on 30.09.2017, 16:57 o’clock

So, if the 6.3ah high amp Eneracer batteries weren't enough, Bosch looks set for a re-brand with 3 new battery sizes, code name ProCore (the Eneracers were called Core in the US...). 
The sizes are a suspected 3.5ah slim pack (this one interests me most if I'm honest - decent juice but light and compact), a "universal" 7.0ah, same pack size as the Eneracer and an "endurance" pack that, doing a bit of 2+2, many suspect will be a whopping 10.5ah! 
The old coolpacks used the now common-or-garden 18650 cells. The Eneracers use the 20700 cells, with 2 rows of 5 delivering 6.3ah. If the new "universal" ProCore is delivering 7ah and capable of 90 amps (!! what's that ... like a 1600w equivolent?), I suspect Bosch are using the 21700 cells for the ProCores? 
I read in toolguyd.com that we're looking at paying in order of Euro199/$237 for the 7.0ah. 
Given the performance and endurance I currently get from my couple of Eneracers, I won't be rushing out to buy one (if and when we get them in the UK - 2018?) of the 7.0 ProCores. 
What this new battery range does have me holding out hope for is an 18V plunge saw, table saw and mitre saw (duel bevel mind!). An 18V random orbital sander would be nice too ;), not that it would need a 7.0ah+ battery. "

Here's a sneaky peak from toolfreakz @ Instagram.

• Thanks 1

Makita would benefit from having some high capacity slim packs for their impact drivers. Looks like the Bosch is getting 4.0 ah from their slim packs from the image @kornomaniac posted. Be cool if Makita is similar or better. Just hope they don't forget a battery life gauge.

I got rid of all of my Bosch 18v stuff and most of the 12v. For 12v I have a couple of Bosch jackets, soon to be two flashlights and the vacuum. Most of my newer tools have been Dewalt and Makita. I would love to see Makita come out with the high cap slim packs like Metabo and Hitachi are offering right now. Right now all of my Makita packs are 4.0s and a 2.0 with only the 2.0having the fuel gauge. I’ve had all of my Makita stuff for going on 4 years without issue but I wish I had the next gen batteries. I don’t see a point in replacing them though.

19 hours ago, Stercorarius said:

Makita would benefit from having some high capacity slim packs for their impact drivers. Looks like the Bosch is getting 4.0 ah from their slim packs from the image @kornomaniac posted. Be cool if Makita is similar or better. Just hope they don't forget a battery life gauge.

All new Makita batteries have battery indicator. Check for letter "B" after the number aka BL1850B. 

20 hours ago, SchenzhenSpecial said:

While it wouldn't be ideal there's every possibility an adaptor or shoe could be offered that will offset the batteries to give a wider spacing. Based on the image I've attached but set up to fit current 18x2 tools. 

bcv03.jpg

I will be visiting D&M Tool Show (London, UK) on Sat and were Makita will sell x2 Grinder and gonna check for the spacing in the batteries as Makita reps does not make any comment about any new stuff. Will take tape measure with me :) 

3 hours ago, Ned said:

I will be visiting D&M Tool Show (London, UK) on Sat and were Makita will sell x2 Grinder and gonna check for the spacing in the batteries as Makita reps does not make any comment about any new stuff. Will take tape measure with me :) 

The spacing is bigger on the x2 grinders and one of the new line trimmer. Could the new x2 power head tool. Spacing on the rear handle circ saw isn't 

5 minutes ago, Makita_2233 said:

The spacing is bigger on the x2 grinders and one of the new line trimmer. Could the new x2 power head tool. Spacing on the rear handle circ saw isn't 

Honest talks I am geting quite concerned about if the new batteries if any bigger (according to increased rumors about 21700 cell to be used) will fit my 3-4 Years old tools which still serve me well and I have no desire to change them any time soon. 

3 hours ago, Ned said:

I'll be there myself. The DGA900 is already set up for wider batteries. 

14 minutes ago, Ned said:

Honest talks I am geting quite concerned about if the new batteries if any bigger (according to increased rumors about 21700 cell to be used) will fit my 3-4 Years old tools which still serve me well and I have no desire to change them any time soon. 

Do you have any X2 tools? If so what's the gap measure between two current batteries?

18 minutes ago, Ned said:

I'm unfortunate to say I think that any newer 20700 or 21700 celled batteries will not fit older X2 tools ( rotary, brushed circ saw, some garden tools )

However their might be a trade in system, perhaps new housings will be made available ( which are wider ) or perhaps an adapter. Who knows :)

5 minutes ago, SchenzhenSpecial said:

Do you have any X2 tools? If so what's the gap measure between two current batteries?

I do not have x2. I will get x2 only if able to use with x1 or with x2 batteries otherwise I have a lot 18v and the same 110v for more power when required. I would like x2 concept but need to be able to run x2 tool with x1 battery for reguliary use but be able to stick another battery on demand.

24 minutes ago, kornomaniac said:

I'm unfortunate to say I think that any newer 20700 or 21700 celled batteries will not fit older X2 tools ( rotary, brushed circ saw, some garden tools )

However their might be a trade in system, perhaps new housings will be made available ( which are wider ) or perhaps an adapter. Who knows :)

Maybe for the US/AUS markets but as for the UK/EU we'll get what we're given and like it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kornomaniac said:

Dang.... Bit of repeating history here korno >:(

There's gonna be some angry Makita users...

2 hours ago, dwain said:

Yeah, I might be one if I chose to go with those new batteries. I like that my Dewalt 60s fit in my 20 slots so it’ll be a shame if I cannot put these high caps in my chainsaw. But then again, I’m young, I’ll get over it 👍

1 minute ago, ChrisK said:

Yeah, I might be one if I chose to go with those new batteries. I like that my Dewalt 60s fit in my 20 slots so it’ll be a shame if I cannot put these high caps in my chainsaw. But then again, I’m young, I’ll get over it 👍

Yeah. They already pissed off users by not having backwards compatibility on their older tools with higher capacity batteries, as well as those tabs that stop users from using 1.5Ah batts on high-draw tools. AND they've never brought 2Ah slim batts to Australia and other places. Also one of the very last to put battery indicators on. Now this.

C'mon Makita, pick up your battery game!

6 hours ago, dwain said:

Yeah sorry man :) older X2 tools just don't have the gap for wider batteries. And I doubt 2.5mm can be taken off from the housing. It isn't that thick.

Maybe vertical placement of the cells. Who knows :)

9 hours ago, dwain said:

Yeah. They already pissed off users by not having backwards compatibility on their older tools with higher capacity batteries, as well as those tabs that stop users from using 1.5Ah batts on high-draw tools. AND they've never brought 2Ah slim batts to Australia and other places. Also one of the very last to put battery indicators on. Now this.

I doubt they even care what people think. Privately owned company. Really the current x2 with standard gap are fine with double 4.0, 5.0 and 6.0. The x2 9" has the bigger spacing and need bigger celled batteries. X2 sds max will need the same 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dwain said:

To be fair its the older 1.3ah BL1815 with no star protection that doesn't fit on high drain tools but the newer 1.5ah BL15n does fit.   

7 hours ago, kornomaniac said:

Yeah sorry man :) older X2 tools just don't have the gap for wider batteries. And I doubt 2.5mm can be taken off from the housing. It isn't that thick.

Maybe vertical placement of the cells. Who knows :)

So’Kay with me, my X2 chainsaw running 4.0s cuts pretty much anything that bar can get through so now worries, just a bummer.