Makita Battery cell 20700

Ned

On 16/11/2017 at 2:04 AM, HiltiWpg said:

If it did the tool as well, that might be decent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tools don't hold money as well as the batteries do. 

You can sell a second hand battery that's well used (here in the UK at least) for almost as much as it was new. Some people thing a £5/£10 saving is better than a 3 year warranty in a professional environment would you believe. 

Tools that look well used regardless of age generally go for a fraction of the original price. 

I've known people have their tool bags and boxes turned over and the only things that have gone missing are batteries and lasers because they're the smallest items to carry and fetch the most money. Thieves know it. 

Not sure if it worth the cost if you only have a handful of batteries but it might be a consideration when you're at say 1:10 the cost against batteries.  I wouldn't be leaving it in the site box though. If I were a thief that would be gone too. 

On 17/11/2017 at 12:07 PM, kornomaniac said:

I just dont  see how it's gonna prevent theft. Thieves don't have the time to check if batteries could be ' sync locked'. They'll just grab everything they can in a van/garage and worry about sync lock afterwards

Once they're all sync lock enabled or the possibility of they're useless to anyone without the controller. Thieves aren't stupid and an item that doesn't work doesn't sell so why risk jail for what 'could be'. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SchenzhenSpecial said:

Once they're all sync lock enabled or the possibility of they're useless to anyone without the controller. Thieves aren't stupid and an item that doesn't work doesn't sell so why risk jail for what 'could be'. 

Thieves just crack open a van and take everything that's inside. They wouldn't give a fuck if some of the batteries inside might be sync locked. 

There's still alot of tools inside any van they want to break into.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, kornomaniac said:

Thieves just crack open a van and take everything that's inside. They wouldn't give a fuck if some of the batteries inside might be sync locked. 

There's still alot of tools inside any van they want to break into.

More fool the guy leaving his tools in a van thinking they're safe. I'm talking from experience. 

You're right in this instance but I don't think that's the intention. It's more common now to just steal the van contents included rather than spend time breaking into one. 

Yeah that also happens.

For sync lock to have a slightest chance of having a meaningful impact Makita would have to throw a absolute shitload of marketing for the term " sync lock' .  Even my grandmother should know of the term, else there hasn't been enough marketing that potential thieves know about it.

Makita should provide free big ass stickers to put on your van so it's visible from afar that batteries are sync locked.

And no means to hack the batteries/controller should exist ( and everything is hackable )

Don't see it really working :)

Yeah like Hilti said only place it would be effective is for the workers using them to not walk off the job site with them in their lunchboxes because they know all the tools only run for one shift.  Makita would have to give them or for free if they wanted individuals to use them for theft prevention because 100% of tools would have to be locked before a thief would know not to take them but they would probably still take and/or destroy them just because.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Latest single battery chain saw doesn't seem to have enough space for a bigger battery pack. Also the not yet released X2 circ saw is back to "regular" spacing between the packs. (I checked all vids and pics available and I swear there is no gap). Could this mean Makita will stick with its regular sized packs in the future and avoid this "the bigger the better" nonsense? Just a speculation, but could this mean Makita will skip 20700/21700 cells altogether and come up with something even better? Something that will keep up with performance, but won't grow in size. Time for Solid state batteries?

Why does everyone think that solid state is so close.   Everything I read about it suggests it is still several years away at least and even then we will only start seeing it smaller devices like cell phones and laptops before access will be cost effective enough for power tools. 

I would be blown away if Makita could pull that rabbit out its secret hat but I won't be holding my breath. 

2 hours ago, danielicrazy said:

Why does everyone think that solid state is so close.   Everything I read about it suggests it is still several years away at least and even then we will only start seeing it smaller devices like cell phones and laptops before access will be cost effective enough for power tools. 

I would be blown away if Makita could pull that rabbit out its secret hat but I won't be holding my breath. 

I totally agree with you. That`s way I keep asking Makita for HD Battery Packs which are proven to hold for longer and give more power, especially Metabo and Bosch .

28 minutes ago, SchenzhenSpecial said:

Being realistic, what woild a SS or HD battery give you that you don't already have?

Not much is the answer. 

Same runtime in a lighter/more compact package or more runtime in same size/weight of package.
OTH, especially bigger Makita drills and full size impacts are made to be used with big batteries. The balance just isnt right with a 1.5/2.0Ah slim battery.

8 hours ago, SchenzhenSpecial said:

Being realistic, what woild a SS or HD battery give you that you don't already have?

Not much is the answer. 

Not much but the large grinders and chainsaws are the tools at the moment that overheat Makita batteries. They could use bigger battery packs for runtime prefably with 21700 cells so they won't overheat so quickly.

On other tools I wouldn't see the need for bigger heavier packs. A convenience perhaps in some situations but not needed :)

1 hour ago, kornomaniac said:

Not much but the large grinders and chainsaws are the tools at the moment that overheat Makita batteries. They could use bigger battery packs for runtime prefably with 21700 cells so they won't overheat so quickly.

On other tools I wouldn't see the need for bigger heavier packs. A convenience perhaps in some situations but not needed :)

Rotary hammers could also use a bigger capacity packs.

With the tools that are overheating batteries then I can see the requirement. However with much of the X2 OPE gear there's no space for expansion or larger batteries anyway, chainsaws included. 

The 36v 9" would benefit but at the same time I see it as a bit of a gimmick for anything other than short bursts of work. The price has fallen by 2/3s in the UK since this time last year so I think the market feels the same way. 

Makita don't have a rotary hammer which needs any more than they currently offer. We'll see what the DHR282 is like but it's not a requirement and more of a desire. 

Just do what I do, take more than one battery to work with you and you'll be fine. 

3 minutes ago, SchenzhenSpecial said:

With the tools that are overheating then I can see the requirement. However with much of the X2 OPE gear there's no space for expansion or larger batteries anyway. 

Makita don't have a rotary hammer which needs any more than they currently offer. We'll see what the DHR282 is like but it's not a requirement and more of a desire. 

Just do what I do, take more than one battery to work with you and you'll be fine. 

DHR282 probably helps a bit, being brushless, but the current DHR264 certainly could use more runtime.

Im packing 9 5Ah batteries and two twin chargers with me at work.