Bosch PSB 18 LI-2 Chuck Problem

caracroft

I bought the above Bosch Drill because it was cordless and easy to use anywhere, it is the first cordless I have owned.  

The problem I am having is that every time I put a drill bit in and start using it the chuck keeps loosening off and I have to repeatedly retighten it to finish the job.  I have read all through the instructions and can't see anything extra I should be doing to lock the keyless chuck.  Has anyone else had similar problems with this drill? Or any suggestions of what I might be missing?  I don't want to take it back if it is just something I am doing wrong!

Thanks for any help/suggestions

Caracroft

Thanks Conductor and Wayne.

It does make the ratcheting noise.

I bought it from B & Q for around the £100 mark.  If I take it back should I get the same make/model?  Or can you recommend a better drill/driver up to £150?  It will be used quite a lot in the coming months, as I have a lot of woodwork to do, fencing, animal housing etc, so I need it to be reliable.

Thanks again

Cara  :)

Cheers for that.  Sorry to ask more but -

Just had a look on B & Qs site and the only Hitachi 18V is "Hitachi 18V Li-Ion Combi + Drill Driver Twin Pack - DV18DCL2/DS18DCL" for £249.99 which is more than I wanted to pay.  Cant see any offers for Hitachi.

But, I saw a "DeWALT 18v Combi Drill & 2 batteries Model No.:DC100KA-GB" - do you have any views on their reliability?

thanks again

Like Conductor562 I also am from far far away but you can always keep with the Bosch! Just try a different tool as you may have a defective one! I've got several Bosch tools including a 12v and 18v and the are phenomenal tools. Like Wayne Burgess says too, Hitachi is a good solid tool. I recently came into ownership of one and am really impressed. If you can locate a solo tool through special order it may be worth it, but Bosch might be worth second try! PS my Hitachi is their new Brushless Hammer! Wicked nice tool!

Hey one more thing! I just looked on Amazon UK and saw the tool. Why is it green and look so much different than my Bosch tools? I know we are different from the Euro market but to be that does not look like, what I would consider, a Bosch tool!

Hmmmm B&Q did have them on offer a few weeks ago but never mind.

The best thing to remember is do not buy anything unless the batteries are Lithium Ion, I say this over and over because ALL other batteries left in the shed,under the stairs or in the Garage a few months unused are dead as a bag full of dead things and all your money is wasted unless you start buying expensive new replacement batteries.

Hey Wayne and Conductor, what is your opinion on NiMH? I am with you Wayne, LI all the way but....I checked CL and there is a guy trying to sell what he describes as a brand new Panasonic metal cutting saw 15.6v NiMH batteries and charger for 100. I wrote him, he's willing to sell it for 60. I don't need it, I will end up probably selling it on eBay but don't know the first thing about this tool or the batteries. Something in my head says brand new = left in a box unopened for several years so those batteries are probably junk. What do you guys think?

Avoid the hell out of any tool with anything but Lithium Ion batteries Pal.

You are spot on that if the tool is even unused but several months old the batteries will be nackerd.

An example is my Pal who has 3 batteries for his Dewalt none of them are Lithium ion. One of my 3ah Lithium ion batteries for my Metabo outlasts ALL his batteries combined.

Edited by Wayne Burgess

That's what I was concerned with. I run lithium in every cordless tool I have, Bosch, Hitachi (now) and Milwaukee. I didn't know if Panasonic had some special secret but they don't seem to make that tool any longer so I think the batteries must be squat. Thanks Wayne!

Yea, Nickel Metal Hydride batteries were Makita's ticket for several years. They were better than NiCad in some ways but they're still just antiquated crap compared to the lithiums. If they've sit that long those packs are junked and by the time you buy new ones you're wasting your time and money. I'd definitely pass. 

• Like 1