Jump to content

M18 Fuel high torque impact wrench


Framer joe

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, nyhsmark said:

Debating between this and the mid torque.  Don't have room in the garage for an air compressor and my cars are getting to that age where suspension work is required.

 

Suspension work generally needs a lot of breaking torque. High torque, new and the older model should be plenty unless you're working on big-ass trucks. Mid torque will do most but you may have to get a breaker bar for some of the stuff.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1400 ft/lbs is a dangerous amount of torque. Anything under 3/4" or a 20mm bolt will shear before you get to the 1000 ft/lbs in forward. At that point you're over a 30mm socket and should probably be using a 3/4 drive. My DeWalt and the 2763 have to be careful with because they will stretch a 12mm bolt with little hesitation. That being said the extra 200 ft/lbs would be nice in terms of time savings on the bolts you have to hammer on for a while. Would rather have them go more compact and maintain power than maintain size and go more power. Arms get tired after you burn through your second battery in a day. I'm curious to see how sockets hold up to the new impact. Hopefully DeWalt updates there's as well. Don't like Milwaukee's pin detent. DeWalt has a pin detent you don't need a pick for and offers the perfect amount of retention. Hog ring ones don't hold on well enough. Just a little thing, but enough to make the 899 a better choice over the 2763.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Stercorarius said:

1400 ft/lbs is a dangerous amount of torque. Anything under 3/4" or a 20mm bolt will shear before you get to the 1000 ft/lbs in forward. At that point you're over a 30mm socket and should probably be using a 3/4 drive. My DeWalt and the 2763 have to be careful with because they will stretch a 12mm bolt with little hesitation. That being said the extra 200 ft/lbs would be nice in terms of time savings on the bolts you have to hammer on for a while. Would rather have them go more compact and maintain power than maintain size and go more power. Arms get tired after you burn through your second battery in a day. I'm curious to see how sockets hold up to the new impact. Hopefully DeWalt updates there's as well. Don't like Milwaukee's pin detent. DeWalt has a pin detent you don't need a pick for and offers the perfect amount of retention. Hog ring ones don't hold on well enough. Just a little thing, but enough to make the 899 a better choice over the 2763.  

 

The new numbers are only for the friction ring. The pin detent model is dialed back in spec.

 

I agree about the amount of torque but keep in mind it's only breakaway torque, it's meant to break a stuck bolt. The 1,000(friction ring)750(pin detent) ft/lbs in forward will likely never be used but bigger number is more better.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, BMack37 said:

 

The new numbers are only for the friction ring. The pin detent model is dialed back in spec.

 

I agree about the amount of torque but keep in mind it's only breakaway torque, it's meant to break a stuck bolt. The 1,000(friction ring)750(pin detent) ft/lbs in forward will likely never be used but bigger number is more better.

Oh they did that again. Not sure what the point of that is. I've heard some spiel about detent being used in fastening something something but like you said bigger number is more better right? 

 

I get the feeling there's going to be a lot of frustrate people with a lot of broken wheel studs. I'm curious to see if they ever do get around to releasing a decent 1" impact wrench. Either M18 or if it's yellow 60v. Would be so nice. If they can put 1400 ft/lbs in this size double the size and torque and make the run time enough to remove and tighten 10 nuts and I'm sold on it. 

 

Interesting enough I was shopping for 3/4 drive pnuematic impact wrenches and you don't get over the torque of this new Milwaukee until you get to the $800 range. So I can't argue against the value of Milwaukee's new product. The kit off the shelf with no promo will probably only be $500 with two batteries. 3/4 drive probably a little more. Interested to see what happens with cordless impact wrenches over the next few years. I started with an impact wrench that only put out something like 350 ft/lbs and it's already double that four years later. It's going to get to where they Max out the torque relative to drive size and component strength and start putting it out in smaller and smaller packages. Give it twenty years and who knows what we'll have.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Stercorarius said:

Oh they did that again. Not sure what the point of that is. I've heard some spiel about detent being used in fastening something something but like you said bigger number is more better right? 

 

I get the feeling there's going to be a lot of frustrate people with a lot of broken wheel studs. I'm curious to see if they ever do get around to releasing a decent 1" impact wrench. Either M18 or if it's yellow 60v. Would be so nice. If they can put 1400 ft/lbs in this size double the size and torque and make the run time enough to remove and tighten 10 nuts and I'm sold on it. 

 

Interesting enough I was shopping for 3/4 drive pnuematic impact wrenches and you don't get over the torque of this new Milwaukee until you get to the $800 range. So I can't argue against the value of Milwaukee's new product. The kit off the shelf with no promo will probably only be $500 with two batteries. 3/4 drive probably a little more. Interested to see what happens with cordless impact wrenches over the next few years. I started with an impact wrench that only put out something like 350 ft/lbs and it's already double that four years later. It's going to get to where they Max out the torque relative to drive size and component strength and start putting it out in smaller and smaller packages. Give it twenty years and who knows what we'll have.

 

Did you see AvE's video tearing down the HF earthquake high torque impact wrench? Even those seem to be well made and performers.

 

I like Ingersoll Rand's setup with "Hand tight" etc... it's more descriptive than just a number system that is not always the same across the board. For my compact impact wrenches I go with the highest torque setting, one or two hammer hits gets me around 85 ft lbs and I use a torque wrench to get it to 95.

 

With these the low setting is 100ft lbs for the friction ring, so if the user is smart, snugging it up should get you around 90.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Framer joe said:

Dewalt has a 3/4 drive I think does Milwaukee?

Yeah they both do. DeWalt's is the same specs as the 1/2" though. The first gen Milwaukee brushless ones the 3/4 was a little higher. I can't really find a lot of info but it sounds like there is also a 3/4 version of this new high torque impact wrench.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/29/2017 at 6:04 AM, nyhsmark said:

Debating between this and the mid torque.  Don't have room in the garage for an air compressor and my cars are getting to that age where suspension work is required.

I just bought the mid-torque yesterday. We’ll see if I stumble across anything it won’t move. I may be getting the big fella down the road...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...

I know this is kind of an old topic but I got the 2767 shortly after it came out.  I really should have got the 2766 for the work we do but I already had the 2763 and wanted the big torque numbers that the 2767 had.  So I finally got the 2766 the other day and while I expected the it to be an electronic detuned 2767 with a detent pin instead of a hog ring I was suprised to find out I was wrong.

 

The 2766 pin detent model actually has a shorter front nose cone with a smaller and lighter hammer mechanism.  I know it's not much of a difference only being a 1/4" shorter and .4 lbs lighter.  I was just suprised they actually engineered two different hammer mechanism.

20190124_171012.thumb.jpg.d742994d6d2bd891aee02850165ebcab.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

We have one customer that has 24 350 HP motors in each of 6 plants in our area. They always want something done that requires loosening all 4 base bolts. Even with a 4 man crew doing it takes all day. Turning 1-3/8 and 1-5/8 wrenches is grueling. While we can't get to every bolt with an impact, it helps a lot. The medium torque guns are really limited to just snugging them up.

The torque differential (1400/1000) is because the hammer drive isn't symmetrical. Legitimately I like it this way. You have breaking force when you need it and enough torque to get into the 600-800 lbs. range needed on 1-1/2. If it was 3/4 then I couldn't break loose a stuck 3/4" bolt anymore since 3/4×1/2 reducers will shear off and getting sockets much below 7/8" on a 3/4" platform is rare. The 250 ft-lb range of the mid torque wrenches is not enough. I tried using a mid torque wrench for everything for a while but I sheared too many bolts and using torque sticks was a pain same as remembering to hit the button to dial it down so now I carry a lighter one with the hex socket head and a 3/8" socket set. It's better that way. A 1/2" socket with a 3/8" size doesn't fit a lot of spots where the 3/8-3/8" socket easily goes and the much shorter impact gets into tight spots too.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...

I don't have a 1" but have multiple milwaukee impacts that I use daily.  I've never had one that glitches and actually switches on its own but I bump the power settings all the time.  I don't hear too many people complain about it but it's probably one of my biggest complaints. Maybe I have big hands so it's easier to bump but my summer workers bump them too and don't realize it until I hear it across the jobsite and have to go tell them to switch it back. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I need some help guys!! I’ve had like 3 of these impacts because I return them because I’ve had issues with them. Sometimes when I’m taking a lug nut off it’ll hesitate when the trigger is fully pulled in the 3rd position as shown on the 2nd lug I take off. The tool is brand new, battery is brand new. I’m just wondering if anyone else has ever had this problem and what it could possibly be, thanks for any help! 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow...that’s pretty mediocre. I mean, maybe...just maybe...the torque load is too low (because taking lug nuts off a compact car should in theory be pretty trivial for this impact) that it’s tripping a sensor prematurely? Maybe it’s actually a setting that needs to be adjusted? Trying to be fair here, because if that’s three straight defective Milwaukees you’ve got that can’t even take lug nuts off that are torqued less than a tenth of the impact driver’s marketed specs that just plain atrocious.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Member Statistics

    15,989
    Total Members
    5,540
    Most Online
    Joe Nash
    Newest Member
    Joe Nash
    Joined
×
×
  • Create New...