Milwaukee packout

Framer joe

1 hour ago, HiltiWpg said:

I really liked the weight of the TStak, the problem is that nothing bigger than a drill will fit in them!
That’s the biggest issue I have with most modular systems, they weigh as much as the tools!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Flexvolt circular saw should fit in the deep one since they ship in it in at least one country (not the US because apparently we like bags 🙄). I’m glad Justin is buying some so I don’t have to risk buying into a system that won’t work for me.

The large Tstak fits a Flexvolt saw and a few batteries, or the sds plus....I keep my Tstak in my truck ...they are not waterproof.....but other then the drawer dragging because I have 6/9ah in it ...they hold up great I love em....my tough system we’re my go to when I had a bigger truck...

It's a game that DeWalt and Milwaukee play. I was a DeWalt guy back in the day but when they started to lag behind I started to move over to Milwaukee and own only 3 DeWalt tools and a large collection of Milwaukee. I have a bunch of tough boxes and T-Staks because Milwaukee did not have anything to compare at the time. So to switch over is out of the question and once I get my trailer finished the DEWalt boxes stuff will be going up for sale. 

So I've spent the better part of the last year trying to decide what system to go with. Options were ToughSystem, TSTAK, Systainers, or Ridgid boxes. I posted before NPS17 that I hoped Milwaukee would come out with their own storage solution. To my excitement they announced Packout. Unfortunately later that night I started seeing prices on Instagram. I made a rule right then that the only way I was getting them was if Milwaukee sent me a set to review.

Well that didn't happen so I priced them out last week and it was going to be right around $500 for one of each tool box, a large organizer, two compact organizers, and the 20" tote. Which would have been the bare minimum I needed for my tools. I then priced out the TSTAK's and they came out to $235. I believe the ToughSystem boxes I priced out a few months ago were going to be around $600-650, the Ridgid around $400 (ruled out due to lack of box sizes), and the Systainers were a complete joke at almost $1000.

For the same $500 I bought 2x TSTAK II's, 1x TSTAK III, 1x TSTAK IV,  1x Deep TSTAK, a Southwire Tools 15" Tote, Southwire Tools Bluetooth multimeter, and a M18 Stand Light (with free 5ah battery). I'm going to order more TSTAK's after I see what fits in each size so I don't end up with extra boxes of a size that are not needed. Everything but the TSTAK II's arrive Wednesday (unless FedEx gets them here early).

Milwaukee is unfortunate trying to to compete with the ToughSystem and Veto like they are Stabila with their RedStick levels (another Milwaukee item I refuse to buy into).

6 hours ago, jtkendall said:

I have yet to see a TSTAK or ToughSystem box at my local depot, it sure would make figuring out what actually fits in them easier. Of course my depot also doesn’t have an aisle of tool chests like I keep seeing people post either. Maybe I just have a crappy depot overall.

My closest HD is a hit or miss. Sometimes tough system is on the shelves sometimes it is not. Another store I go to has both tough system and tstak in stock and mostly stock them over other boxes but thats uncommon from what I have seen. I'm not sure modular systems are as popular as one would hope. I feel like the boxes that are not associated with a modular system sell better at least to the average guy. All us tool enthusiasts want toughsystem, packout, etc. provided with our tools instead of bags or blow mold cases but I don't know if the tools would sell as well in the US. It would have to be included without compromises or higher costs for it to work.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jronman said:

My closest HD is a hit or miss. Sometimes tough system is on the shelves sometimes it is not. Another store I go to has both tough system and tstak in stock and mostly stock them over other boxes but thats uncommon from what I have seen. I'm not sure modular systems are as popular as one would hope. I feel like the boxes that are not associated with a modular system sell better at least to the average guy. All us tool enthusiasts want toughsystem, packout, etc. provided with our tools instead of bags or blow mold cases but I don't know if the tools would sell as well in the US. It would have to be included without compromises or higher costs for it to work.

It seems that most Home Depots only stock the ToughSystem organizer on a regular basis, with the DS450, DS300, and DS130 coming into stores for the semiannual sales.  A handful of stores have the DS150 and/or the DS400 as well.  As for popularity, I too feel as though many average tool buyers prefer standalone boxes.  While the medium Ridgid box and the DS300 are good average sized toolboxes, the other boxes may come across as either too small or too large for most people. 

As for Packout, I'm sure they're well made, but between the prices and (again) the bright red "STEAL ME!!!!!" color scheme, I think I'll pass for now (at least until I find a great deal on some).  I have had four of Milwaukee's 13" boxes and one 26" box for over three years now, and they are holding up really well.  Still, they stick out quite a bit, and are much more noticeable than any of my DeWalt, Ridgid, or other boxes.

As for Packout, I'm sure they're well made, but between the prices and (again) the bright red "STEAL ME!!!!!" color scheme, I think I'll pass for now (at least until I find a great deal on some). 

The Vanity design and colour scheme is one of the biggest hurdles for me(aside from the ridiculous pricing). They are ugly. The metal bumpers are just odd too.

We get it, they want people to notice and recognize the brand. But jeez, they stick out like a sore thumb. The footprint is huge, the design is awkward, the usable space inside is far less than they appear to have and the they are ugly. Imagine if the tough system was yellow!

They nailed the organizers though. I love the 2 sizes and the clip on to Tote idea.

If this is their first stab at a modular system, I can’t wait to see the second generation, which keepin to true Milwaukee form should be out in 6 months and have One-Key.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Got to play wth the pack out stuff today.

The totes were a bit of a letdown. They are a bit overpriced for what you get.

They are very similar to the Husky Pro bags. Decent weight nylon and stitching. It wouldn’t be fair to slam it because it isn’t as good as a Veto. It sits between the Husky Pro and Veto line.

The bottoms were pretty good too. Better than the Klein plastic bottoms but nowhere near Veto level.

The parts/storage packouts are great, but a little pricy. I still think the parts containers are the best.

I don’t like that the tool container footprints are so big, but the interior room isn’t much bigger than the Tough/Ridgid boxes. They are crazy heavy too.

I also got a good look at the two new backpacks. Holy crap are they over priced. Huge letdown.

5 minutes ago, HiltiWpg said:

I also got a good look at the two new backpacks. Holy crap are they over priced. Huge letdown.

That's disappointing. I was interested in the Low Profile one but at $79 I think I'll stick with getting another of the original Jobsite Backpacks since I like the one I have and have seen it as low as $59.

It’s just odd. The potential is there, the design is decent. They are just flimsy, and can’t even hold their shape. Full of tools, it will be worse. The zipper area folds in on itself and you have to “pop” it back out when you want to zip open or closed. The material is very soft and the bags just don’t hold their shape. $200 CND for the new large bag. I paid $60 more for my Veto. It’s Heavier material , maintains its shape no matter what, beefier zippers, hardcore metal d rings, thicker bottom, and better straps. The straps on the Milwaukee are fine for quick trips, but they are thin and offer little padding. If the bag was $129-149 CND, it would be worth it.

On 10/19/2017 at 8:38 AM, HiltiWpg said:

It’s just odd. The potential is there, the design is decent. They are just flimsy, and can’t even hold their shape. Full of tools, it will be worse. The zipper area folds in on itself and you have to “pop” it back out when you want to zip open or closed. The material is very soft and the bags just don’t hold their shape. $200 CND for the new large bag. I paid $60 more for my Veto. It’s Heavier material , maintains its shape no matter what, beefier zippers, hardcore metal d rings, thicker bottom, and better straps. The straps on the Milwaukee are fine for quick trips, but they are thin and offer little padding. If the bag was $129-149 CND, it would be worth it.

I agree with all you have noticed. Quite disappointed in the totes. The 20" bag/tote is just like my Veto OT XL but much cheaper build. The center divider isn't attached to the bottom so it flops around, and the feet on the bottom are off center so when the heavier tools on the one side outweighs the tools on the other, it tips to that side. It's one benefit is that it attaches to the packout with your other tools. That's the only good thing about it. Oh and waterproof bottom. Quite disappointed in the totes.

However, if they weren't so pricey, they might be a great option for someone who doesn't haul a bag around a lot and doesn't have to worry about the tools staying in place. 

However, if they weren't so pricey, they might be a great option for someone who doesn't haul a bag around a lot and doesn't have to worry about the tools staying in place. 

It’s almost like they are seeing how much they can get away with charging.
I think we will see a dramatic price reduction if people are smart and wait.

I appreciate all the feedback. It appears to be a overall good system with some things that guys would like changed , ...definitely needs a price drop.....”game changer” as some guys said.early on.........I don’t think see that, from the comments and Reviews ........the Milwaukee 9ah was a game changer.....I did learn that veto makes a hell of a bag

Not sure on how it can be a game changer, since storage that can wheel and is removable has been out for a while. However, I will say that they have a few ideas that are unique. I’m agreeing with previous posts... the price will drop for the holidays so they can get people to buy them... then they’ll get people hooked. With that, just like any new tool/system, they will adjust accordingly with demand and hopefully add/subtract what they need so their system continues to improve. I don’t think it’s an awful buy, but I’d personally wait until the price drops some.

On 10/21/2017 at 9:24 PM, Framer joe said:

I appreciate all the feedback. It appears to be a overall good system with some things that guys would like changed , ...definitely needs a price drop.....”game changer” as some guys said.early on.........I don’t think see that, from the comments and Reviews ........the Milwaukee 9ah was a game changer.....I did learn that veto makes a hell of a bag

The only game changer is the bags that attach to the stack, they are pretty nice quality but for the price tag? I don't think so, I'd rather buy a husky for similar quality

• Like 1

The only game changer is the bags that attach to the stack, they are pretty nice quality but for the price tag? I don't think so, I'd rather buy a husky for similar quality

Pretty much.

The Husky Pro stuff is way heavier nylon with better zippers.

You have to give them credit though. Milwaukee gave away so much stuff and flooded the market. Now they are one of the most expensive brands.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/24/2017 at 2:58 PM, SetBuilder said:

Local lumber yard had the bottom Pack Out box on wheels black friday sale at 89.00. No other pack out boxes in the store though.

HD had the Ridgid 3 box set for 99.00. Kind of a no brainer...

My local HD still had at least one Packout and a bunch of Ridgid and DeWalt boxes as of yesterday.  With luck, a nearby store will drop the price and I'll luck out; last year I got a few DS300s and DS130s at discounted prices.  The Packout system looks nice in person but I can't get over the color choice.  I learned from the burglary a few years ago that if something catches a person's attention, wheels only aid in theft.  My appliance dolly was part of the burglar's haul, doubtlessly he used it to cart off some of the heavier items.

A lot of the reason I do kind of want some Packout boxes is because "ooh, they're new and something familiar but different."  I finally organized my apartment on Thursday, though, and have two Ridgid combos, two ToughSystem combos (one with DS450 and the other with DS400 and Carrier), and a few additional boxes and accessories.  Honestly, if I find them on clearance I'll pick up a few more.  

If my opinion reflects that of other tool users/aficionados, then Packout is too late to market and too expensive to make a lot of inroads with anyone other than hardcore Milwaukee fans and people who feel as though the durability is worth the cost.  Again, I'll probably eventually end up getting a stack, if not this year then next, but I don't foresee buying the plethora of boxes I bought from the other brands.

Packout in Australia will be  VERY EXPENSIVE! It likely won't sell very well here. If it's $199 USD, it will probably be sold for at least $399-$499 AUD.

We already pay too much for Toughbox, Systainer and L-Boxx. Even T-Stak are all $50 AUD+ just for one box.

I buy the Bunnings modular system.

• 11 months later...

Well with Acme Tools starting their Milwaukee Packout Black Friday Deals early I took the plunge! I knew HD was going to be offering the three piece main unit for $199.00 during the holidays (just like last year) and Acme has them for 197.00 today so I figured what the heck! Two bucks cheaper and no crowds to fight, win-win! I also got the full size slim parts bin and the half width original height parts bin as well as the 15" tool bag (the new one with the zipper closure). That ought to be a decent start.  I have several ticks standing by to mount inside of them and am looking forward to the availability of the foam inserts.  Thinking of setting up one box with all batteries and a rapid charger (if they will all fit) once I can get my hands on the foam.  I had decided sometime ago that I was going to buy into this system and figured if I could be a little patient I could get a good deal over the holiday promo period and it worked out.  I will probably stay on the lookout for other deals on Packout system stuff as we get closer to the holidays.  I Still want the orbital sander (bare tool) and I am thinking if getting the One-Key Sawzall as well if I can score them at a good price...I know the pricing is at a premium for the Packout stuff but everything I've read about them and the brief time a got a hands on look convinced me they were worth it, especially when discounted, I wound up with 6 pieces for just a bit over $300.00 bucks, still a chunk of change for me (as a DIYer that is).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OldDominionDIYer said:

three piece main unit for $199.00

That's quite good.

Check out what Aussies have to pay for that set: $639 AUD (~$461 USD). That's some high priced plastic.

po.png

Dewalt for comparison at the same store: $269 AUD (~$194 USD).

tough.png

• Like 1
  • Confused 1