How to remove a chuck on a DCD 796

gandalfnz

• 5 months later...
Well after breaking 4 x  T20 tools bits trying to get that bolt holding chuck to shaft  loose I decided to cut the chuck off with a cutting disk and luckily for me it worked and after numerous tries I am now able to replace this chuck with a new one
I hope you were turning those torx bits clockwise for the left hand screw. It is hard to believe it would not come out. When hammering on on a hex key fails, I chuck a hex bit in an impact wrench, AFTER removing the left hand screw. That has bever failed. It should be mentioned thst the left hand screw is only there to prevent the chuck from unscrewing when the drill is used in reverse. A missing screw might never be noticed if the drill is only used in the forward direction.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

The older ones did have a screw in there, my 791 and 996 I purchased in 2018 do not. Display models on store shelves do. The 996 is made in the USA, the 791 is made in Mexico. I haven’t had to take the chucks off yet, but I’m hoping the chuck retaining screw was just replaced with loctite or some other sealant, rather than dimpling/peening the drill arbor to hold the chuck on. That would effectively make the tool disposable for a bad chuck, but might explain the wobble with quality chucks. 

It would seem Dewalt should have issued a service bulletin to their repair centers with the updated design, they should know better than anyone. Might be worth a phone call. 

The older ones did have a screw in there, my 791 and 996 I purchased in 2018 do not. Display models on store shelves do. The 996 is made in the USA, the 791 is made in Mexico. I haven’t had to take the chucks off yet, but I’m hoping the chuck retaining screw was just replaced with loctite or some other sealant, rather than dimpling/peening the drill arbor to hold the chuck on. That would effectively make the tool disposable for a bad chuck, but might explain the wobble with quality chucks. 

It would seem Dewalt should have issued a service bulletin to their repair centers with the updated design, they should know better than anyone. Might be worth a phone call. 
If you are sure there is no screw and it is held with Loctite, try a big hex bit in an impact wrench. That has never failed me. Much better than a hex key and a hammer. It is hard to believe that they are depending on Loctite to handle drilling in reverse. That kind of construction would be enough to write off that drill. In the past I remember Milwaukee using a taper mounted chuck. A taper is bi directional.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• 11 months later...

I have a DeWalt DWD520 corded Hammer Drill.  When I first purchased it, I was going to change the chuck myself but when I didn't see any reverse-thread screw inside the chuck, I was wondering how to remove it.  Luckily, I took it to a DeWalt dealer and they changed the chuck for me without charge as part of the support.

Now that it is most likely out of warranty, I am looking at doing this myself.  First & foremost, I want to say "Thank You" to Mr. C. Moore for posting that great photo of the chuck in the "disassembled view".  I saved that picture as a reference.

What is crazy is that when I go to the actual DeWalt website, they actually list a reverse-thread screw for this drill!

I wonder why they did that...maybe to confuse the user into thinking that the screw is not visible, I don't know.

When I didn't see a screw, I thought, OMG....how the heck will I get this chuck off now?

I think I did try using a big allen wrench and hitting it several times with no success.

I am going to try using a Metabo drill chuck because it has a 3-Year warranty.

The only problem I might face is that I have a big masonry bit stuck in the chuck that won't come out because the clutches or gears inside the chuck seem to be "stripped out".  When I try to hold the chuck and "bump it with the trigger a bit" to loosen the chuck, the chuck remains stationary while the motor shaft still turns.  I might try to knock the end of the drill bit with a hammer to see if I can work it loose but since the inside of the chuck seems to be stripped, knocking it with a hammer and an allen wrench will be completely useless.

It might be time to break out the Dremel tool with the tiny cut-off wheels.  Maybe I can cut it off carefully until I get close to the threads and then carefully split the rest of it until it breaks free.  I would appreciate any feedback on this in case anyone else has experienced this same issue.

I'm new to the discussion here but I have actually worked in about twelve different trades before I retired.

Thank you for your time and any response.

Tall Tiger in Texas

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

The only way, I found, was to carefully cut the old poorly chuck off. Using a thin slitting disc on my trusty 5" angle grinder.

Firstly cutting off the outer sleeves, then removing the jaws then cutting downwards, so I could grip with an adjustable spanner. 

I had to cut close to the thread to weaken the bind on one side but then it more or less fell off.

Doing it this way doesn't damage the brake or any other workings. You just need to cut a slither off at a time and be patient 😜

New chuck fitted with lock tight.

It took me a hour.

• 3 months later...

DeWALT is getting greedy and in a very unfair and not customer friendly way. These are not household drills, so they should let people know at least that they designed a "disposable" drill, because when it comes to chuck removal, actually you have to change buy the whole armature (chuck+clutch+gearbox+switch) you can bet that is gonna cost you nearly to the price of a brand new drill. And if you add the cost or time that you spending for the hassle,.. Its just not worth it. And yeah, chucks could be easily go wrong in certain ways. From misuse to dust, drop from height etc. Until know the only it was like a 10-15 minutes to replace it, even a better chuck if you wanted to. Shame on you DeWALT, its a very thoughtful planned obsolescence, and i can not see any other reason in this design at all. 

• 1 year later...

I recently switched from  my panasonic drill that I've been using for more than 20 years. I debated between Dewalt and Milwaukee. I bought the DCD7976 hammer drill in September. I regret my choice. The chuck SUCKS, it doesn't stay tight.  It loosens up while I'm on a ladder and the bit or driver goes flying. I tried to change the chuck but it doesn't come off. I brought it to the dewalt service center they couldn't get it off either. They would change the whole gear pack but that would have the same bad chuck. Have any suggestions?