Cordless impact driver question

Roy66

I've heard a lot of good things about cordless impact drivers and have taken the time to find out quite a bit about how they work. I understand that there is a hammer and anvil mechanism inside which creates additional torque by hammering on the side of the bit.

A lot of people online are saying that the great thing about the cordless impact driver is that they do not use any additional battery power to produce these high impacts. How can this be true? Where is the power coming from if not the battery?

Cheers,

R

Once you use an impact driver to drive screws you'll never use a drill to do it again. The impacts reduce the likelihood of stripping the fastener heads and it works remarkably. As Wayne said, the design of the clutch allows the impact action to work by cutting out at the determined torque limit rather than reaching for additional amperage. If you don't have one, get one. 

Also, this weekend found me adding a door jam extension to my existing jam. I removed the threshold which had I had held down with untreated screws (doh!). Impact gun...bangbangbangbangbang screw out! No can do with a drill! That impact mechanism works just as well in REVERSE!