Dewalt 12 volt tools are going away

btharmy

You guys crack me up. As far as I know this is not true. Whoever you spoke with would likely not be in the know anyway. Especially if it's this kind of news before.

Lowe's is however revamping their power tool displays. Maybe they won't keep them in store, doubtful. And Lowe's no longer has department managers so it's usually a cluster of things not getting done right. 

At the DeWalt media event I spoke with managers about 12v. There was a huge interest in revamping the line. I'll see if I can't get some new info.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The.Handyman said:

You guys crack me up. As far as I know this is not true. Whoever you spoke with would likely not be in the know anyway. Especially if it's this kind of news before.

Lowe's is however revamping their power tool displays. Maybe they won't keep them in store, doubtful. And Lowe's no longer has department managers so it's usually a cluster of things not getting done right. 

At the DeWalt media event I spoke with managers about 12v. There was a huge interest in revamping the line. I'll see if I can't get some new info.

A rational voice on an internet forum?  Say it ain't so!  Just kidding, but it is funny how quickly we (myself included) take a random posting on the internet (by a new user, at that!) as gospel truth.  DeWalt likely would not have spent the time and effort developing and marketing lasers and other 12v Max items in the past year or two if they were honestly looking at getting rid of them.  Or maybe they made a spontaneous decision.

As I posted, the 12v Max drill and impact just don't offer much over my 20v Max tools.  They are actually a bit longer, and coupled with my lower Ah batteries and the tools brushed designs, run time probably pales in comparison to what I already own in 20v Max.  Weight and height differences don't matter that much to me.  That said, I noticed the 12v combo at Lowe's for $129 earlier.  At that price or lower, I may pick one up to keep in the truck.  While the Bosch PS31 I picked up a few days ago is nice, I prefer the smaller grip offered by slide-on pack designs.  

I first noticed the 12v Max tools a few years before starting my DeWalt infatuation.  A DirecTV installer had a drill which he used to install my dish, and he told me it was perfect for that line of work.  Not too heavy, just the right amount of power, etc.  With so much focus being placed on smaller and more lightweight 18v tools, I can see the two major b&m retailers (HD and Lowe's) clearing out lesser selling lines like DeWalt 12v Max in favor of more shelf space.  As we've recently learned, Lowe's will need all the space it can make for Craftsman next year.  There is still a niche market for 12v Max tools, especially if DeWalt does revamp the line.  I've been interested in the pivoting reciprocating saw, especially since missing my chance to get the old 18v or 12v Porter Cable version.

3 hours ago, fm2176 said:

As I posted, the 12v Max drill and impact just don't offer much over my 20v Max tools.  They are actually a bit longer, and coupled with my lower Ah batteries and the tools brushed designs, run time probably pales in comparison to what I already own in 20v Max.  Weight and height differences don't matter that much to me.  That said, I noticed the 12v combo at Lowe's for $129 earlier.  At that price or lower, I may pick one up to keep in the truck.  While the Bosch PS31 I picked up a few days ago is nice, I prefer the smaller grip offered by slide-on pack designs.  

I first noticed the 12v Max tools a few years before starting my DeWalt infatuation.  A DirecTV installer had a drill which he used to install my dish, and he told me it was perfect for that line of work.  Not too heavy, just the right amount of power, etc.  With so much focus being placed on smaller and more lightweight 18v tools, I can see the two major b&m retailers (HD and Lowe's) clearing out lesser selling lines like DeWalt 12v Max in favor of more shelf space.  As we've recently learned, Lowe's will need all the space it can make for Craftsman next year.  There is still a niche market for 12v Max tools, especially if DeWalt does revamp the line.  I've been interested in the pivoting reciprocating saw, especially since missing my chance to get the old 18v or 12v Porter Cable version.

It may actually be individual stores being reset with keeping what sells and removing what doesn't. Locally we have 3 Lowe's that are within about 30 miles of each other, and some of their employees refer to them as A,B and C stores. They probably have 75-80% items in common, but that other 20-25% might only be in one or two of the stores. Home Depot does similar things, the two nearest stores are about 40 miles apart and only one has a rental center, only one has a big display of FlexVolt tools, while the other did a close out sale on them and right now they have the drill/ impact kits and screwdriver kits in the clearance/ bargain endcap area for $99 for the two piece kit. As long as either chain sells the infamous $99 drill kits 8 times a year, they won't sell a ton of 12V MAX.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, The.Handyman said:

"As far as you know"? What does this mean? Did you call Dewalt and ask them or are you just saying that to make me sound like a raving lunatic? Why would I post something that I had not confirmed with Dewalt if I actually said in the post that I called Dewalt to confirm it? How about you call them yourself before implying that I'm a liar? I posted this before lunch on Wednesday. If anyone cared enough to confirm it for themselves they could have called Dewalt by now.

3 hours ago, btharmy said:

"As far as you know"? What does this mean? Did you call Dewalt and ask them or are you just saying that to make me sound like a raving lunatic? Why would I post something that I had not confirmed with Dewalt if I actually said in the post that I called Dewalt to confirm it? How about you call them yourself before implying that I'm a liar? I posted this before lunch on Wednesday. If anyone cared enough to confirm it for themselves they could have called Dewalt by now.

I am not calling you a raving lunatic, DeWALT has had some battery platforms that are for all intents and purposes are obsolete. That said, they continue to support them, even if they peaked in popularity more than a dozen years ago. the 14.4 and 12 volt NiCads are great examples. If you are relying on information from a typical box store employee, unless that person is a tool junkie like many of us here are, his or her knowledge comes from the company's newest planogram. Chances are the box stores will be selling all of the tools off to use the space for something that sells better and when you look at the little battery area there will be one single battery hanging there next to the 12V XRP, which is hanging next to the 14.4 XRP, which might be hanging next to the Black and Decker 18 volt battery.

Their website continues to list them right there, next to other legacy batteries:  

http://www.dewalt.com/Dewalt/Home/Products/Accessories/Batteries and Chargers?Facet2=System%3b%3b12V-s-MAX-ax-%3b%3b12V-s-MAX-ax-|System%3b%3b12V-s-MAX-ax-%2c-s-18V%3b%3b12V-s-MAX-ax-%2c-s-18V|System%3b%3b12V-s-MAX-ax-%2c-s-20V-s-MAX-ax-%3b%3b12V-s-MAX-ax-%2c-s-20V-s-MAX-ax-|System%3b%3b14.4V%3b%3b14.4V|&pageNum=1

• Like 1

12v tools are less than useful in my work, the whole "12v does 80% of the work most tradesmen need" claim is just BS in my world.  I'm NEEDING 100% of my work done all the time.  There isn't a 12v tool out there that has ever met my needs.  

On 27/10/2017 at 3:30 PM, The.Handyman said:

It's common basic tool knowledge that dewalt is revamping the 12v line. The wheels are already rolling on new 12v tools. Next year will see some 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Makita_2233 said:

It's common basic tool knowledge that dewalt is revamping the 12v line. The wheels are already rolling on new 12v tools. Next year will see some 

oh really? Sounds good for those guys who buy 12v stuff. I haven't heard a peep about new 12v stuff apart from the lasers awhile back. 

12 hours ago, Makita_2233 said:

What is your source for this? I would like to find out more. You seem to be the only one on this entire forum with this "basic tool knowledge" about this new 12v line of tools from Dewalt.

• Like 1

I just got an update on the status and future of the 12v tools from Dewalt this morning. In an email I asked them 4 specific questions and they provided these line item answers:

"Hello,

1. Is the 12 volt max line of tools going away?  

Most of our products are starting to convert to the 20, 40 and 60 volt lithium line therefore retailers are starting to move away from the older lines. We are still supporting the 12 volt NiCad line in terms of batteries and chargers as long as the demand still exist.  In other words, the 12 volt line of tools are being discontinued but we still plan to provide the batteries/chargers for the tools that are still being used by our customers as long as the demand exist.  The batteries/chargers can be purchased through our Parts department at 888-678-7278 or our Factory Service Centers.    

2.  Will I be able to walk into Lowe's or Home Depot and buy batteries for my 12v max tools in the future?  Most likely not because our tools are changing over to a different voltage and the retailers do not want to stock inventory for the voltages that are not in demand.  The retailers are limited on what they can stock due to demand/space.  

3. What will replace the 12v max line of tools in the future?  Our tools are converting over to the 20, 40 and 60 volt lithium line so at this time, those are the voltages that are available.  

4. Will I have to find another manufacturer if I want a set of 12v tools?  Most likely yes because our tool line is converting over to the 20, 40 and 60 volt line.

I hope this answers your questions.

Peggy"