Makita DHR400 SDS Max Cordless X2 Rotary Hammer

kornomaniac

3 hours ago, Framer joe said:

Anyone see the sds shoot out on “oz tool”..Hilti reins supreme on a  5yr old sds..of course 2x the price of the other brands.....Makita had the best value and of course  the other results are there also....

Trouble is, the hilti I've had don't last as long as they should for what they cost. Just sold off all the hilti batteries I had left because it was just too expensive to repair the drill. I've had two TEA cordless die of the same issue in about 6 years. Considering a kit is the best chunk of £1000, if this is an on going problem, the only time it makes sense financially is when you're in charge of a gang of men and you use Hilti fleet services. For the one man band however, I'm not going to them again. I've had too many tools, that cost too much money, with too many problems.

I really wish that Makita had of had their new models out already for the comparison. Unfortunately the nature of a comparison is that you'll always catch some brands with new releases while others are near the end of their lifecycle.

It does feel like Makita have rarely/never had brand new releases in our comparisons though ...... need to change that sometime.

9 minutes ago, dwain said:

It does feel like Makita have rarely/never had brand new releases in our comparisons though ...... need to change that sometime.

Frankly, I don't think they care. They have a strong user/purchaser base globally and presumably don't feel the need to try and compete constantly with TTI or Stanley Black and Decker. In the bigger picture, for comparisons sake, I prefer Makita to do their own market research and release something later that's pretty often, going to work.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I was fortunate enough to have a Makita rep load me a DHR400.

The drill itself is fantastic. Comfortable, excellent speed and effortless to use with low vibration. You momentarily forget that you are using a cordless drill, it’s that good.

The let down was the 2 5amp batteries. I was only able to drill 14 dia100@120mm deep before the unit began to cut out. Unlike the Milwaukee this unit cuts out when the battery is low rather that die out which I think is good.

In my industry that translates to installing 7 precast wall panels (2 hrs work) before changing batteries.

I suppose that if I went for this drill with 2 lots of 6amp battery packs that I should get through the day without any issues.

Next week I am trying out the Dewalt SDS max 54v with 9amp battery. I’ll post my findings then.

Well this escalated quickly at the start.

On 11/30/2017 at 4:07 PM, dwain said:

Just gotta do an impact driver test when Makita comes out with a new model. which would probably be once every year or so haha.

5 hours ago, Precast Erector said:

Next week I am trying out the Dewalt SDS max 54v with 9amp battery. I’ll post my findings then.

I'd be interested in your findings.  Everything I've seen shows the dewalt being a beast but there was a video from makita at WOC showing the new makita smoking the dewalt.  I'm a little skeptical of the video but if it's legit, it looks like makita hit a homerun.

22 hours ago, Precast Erector said:

I was fortunate enough to have a Makita rep load me a DHR400.

The drill itself is fantastic. Comfortable, excellent speed and effortless to use with low vibration. You momentarily forget that you are using a cordless drill, it’s that good.

The let down was the 2 5amp batteries. I was only able to drill 14 dia100@120mm deep before the unit began to cut out. Unlike the Milwaukee this unit cuts out when the battery is low rather that die out which I think is good.

In my industry that translates to installing 7 precast wall panels (2 hrs work) before changing batteries.

I suppose that if I went for this drill with 2 lots of 6amp battery packs that I should get through the day without any issues.

4 Batts in total with 1 double charger would easily keep you running all day then right ?  :) 1 set on the charger, 1 set on the tool.

I'm getting the dhr400 second week of March. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/02/2018 at 4:06 AM, Precast Erector said:

I was only able to drill 14 dia100@120mm

You’d be better off with a sds plus drilling a 14 dia bit, like the Dewalt dch 273, 284 or 333. Higher rpm and bpm, they will drill quicker and get more holes per charge then the sds max units. The sds max units have higher impact joules but lower rpm and bpm, good for large dia bits and chilling 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty much no one secures their batteries by more than one “surface”. If any tool’s batteries are vibrating to the point where they are slapping against any other part of the tool, their interface is already mechanically compromised.

Also, Makita has employed some pretty impressive vibration damping on this tool, something they’re generally ahead of most of the competition on.

• 2 weeks later...