Which German compact drill?

D W

Metabo BS18 LT BL or Bosch DDS183 (tool only)? 

Just consider the drill, not the platform or warranty. 

Both the same price (bare tool). 

Both 60Nm.

Both 1.5Kg (with compact battery).

Both brushless.

Bosch pros - better grip?, Anti kickback, slightly more compact 

Metabo pros - separate ring to switch to/from clutch mode, made in Germany, quick chuck version available, 2100rpm (vs 1900)

DDS18302_hero_high_700x400(3).jpg

images-2.jpg

termek_kepmetabo_bs_18_lt_bl__akkus_furocsavarozo_kofferben_60nm220ah18v_1_350x350.jpg

f77iellry21-2.jpg

What's the price difference between it and the BS 18 LTX BL I (602350890)[Actually had the BS 18 LTX BL Impuls (602241890) which is smaller and doesn't hammer] That's the one I used to have and would take it over any of Milwaukee or Dewalt's current offerings. My dcd996 doesn't even come close to it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stercorarius said:

What's the price difference between it and the BS 18 LTX BL I (602350890) ?

The hammer version of the LTX (SB 18 LTX BL I) is $29 more ($229 AUD), which is currently discounted here in AUS.

I can't find either of the LT or DDS183 locally but was looking to buy from the USA (both about $200 AUD shipped). 

How did you find the grip compared to Dewalt? I find the BS 18 QUICK grip quite good, but not Dewalt good. The LT and LTX grips look quite large so I'm concerned they might be uncomfortable. 

If I lived in the city I would just go and try them out, but I don't. 

7 hours ago, Stercorarius said:

What's the price difference between it and the BS 18 LTX BL I (602350890)[Actually had the BS 18 LTX BL Impuls (602241890) which is smaller and doesn't hammer] That's the one I used to have and would take it over any of Milwaukee or Dewalt's current offerings. My dcd996 doesn't even come close to it.

Why’d you get rid of it bro? Availability in the lineup?

1 hour ago, Stercorarius said:

Maybe I gave you the wrong part number. Yep just pulled up the old promotion flyer. I had the BS18 LTX BL Impuls my bad. That's the one I can recommend. Sorry for the confusion. The ergonomics was one of the reasons I used it over my DeWalt. 

All good. That's the one with the red button at the back of the drill?

Metabo have so many drills. Hard to get non-hammer (BS) versions in AUS.

It's a funny thing with Metabo ergonomics. The BS 18 Quick doesn't mold into your hand like Makita/Dewalt, but I find this a good thing. I can just pick it up and don't have to get my hand into a perfect position on the grip to feel comfortable.

2 hours ago, D W said:

All good. That's the one with the red button at the back of the drill?

Metabo have so many drills. Hard to get non-hammer (BS) versions in AUS.

It's a funny thing with Metabo ergonomics. The BS 18 Quick doesn't mold into your hand like Makita/Dewalt, but I find this a good thing. I can just pick it up and don't have to get my hand into a perfect position on the grip to feel comfortable.

This one didn't have the red button iirc. 

Screenshot_20171110-173451.thumb.png.5da430fa8b13bec50f60782871a3925f.pngScreenshot_20171110-173451.thumb.png.5da430fa8b13bec50f60782871a3925f.png

2 hours ago, ChrisK said:

Why’d you get rid of it bro? Availability in the lineup?

Not exactly. I would never have gotten rid of my Metabo stuff voluntarily. One of those things that I guess someone else decided they needed more than me.

• Like 2

One thing I really find appealing about these drills is the angle of the head to the grip, slightly angled up. I remember reading somewhere (probably on this forum) that this is a European thing. 

Far more comfortable. I didn't realise this until I got a Dewalt. Perpendicular as can be. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, D W said:

One thing I really find appealing about these drills is the angle of the head to the grip, slightly angled up. I remember reading somewhere (probably on this forum) that this is a European thing. 

Far more comfortable. I didn't realise this until I got a Dewalt. Perpendicular as can be. 

Agreed, angled is more comfortable. You'd think all American drills would follow the gun industry and the bar is the 1911 angled grip. What's odd is that M18 is straight but M12 is angled. Though Milwaukee feels less straight than SBD drills.

• Like 1