Tool recommendation....

OzTools

Hi, I am not a pro just a homeowner. 

I have a set of Ridgid tools, impact driver, drill, charger and two dead compact battery packs.

I think the compact packs simply do not last long regardless who makes them. I think they can be overloaded much easier than the bigger packs. Correct me if I am wrong here.

In my case the packs lasted 2 years of occasional use.

Going forward I would like to go with bigger packs.

Now my dilemma is...

Do I spend $100 on a new bigger pack (I am not a pro and I can share the pack between the tools or use corded drill if needed)?

Do I buy a new set of Ridgid tools and rely on their lifetime battery replacement program? Many report issues with this program and I am not sure I want to get upset over slow or no repair/replacement and bother with shipping it all to them.

Do I ditch the tools and buy something else (may be just an impact driver with (Impact Driver Conversion Chuck for drilling)?

I wonder if there is anything you guys can say/recommend....

Thanks!

• Like 1

Hi Oz. My recommendation... If you have Ridgid tools and like them HD is selling their newest X4 Drill with charger and one battery pack for $99 online. It has the lifetime warranty IF YOU REGISTER IT AND IF YOU BUY IT FROM HOME DEPOT!!!! That's the way and only way (according to Ridgid) to get the warranty! If you check the reviews and Tools in Action as Tool select.com it gets great reviews. By staying with Ridgid you can keep the impact and expand your cordless line in the future. Ridgid does make good tools. Now...if you want to say screw it and switch tool lines, I have Milwaukee M18 and M12 tools as well as some Bosch 12v tools. Like you, im a weekend warrior but I do love tools and cordless is the way to go! Stay with Lithium batteries - no memory effect. If the end result is based on price though, I would stick with you line and buy that drill with the Lt warranty! I'm not sure where (USA or other country) you live but I hear quite a bit of good about Metabo, problem in my area...no one sells them!

• Like 1

Rigid has a 3 year warranty on the tools and battery packs, so if you have the proper documentation you should still be able to get the packs replaced. Sounds like you didn't register for the LSA agrement. The tools are cheap compared to the price of battery packs.

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up buying new (but without a warranty) X4 high capacity packs for $60 each which at HD go for $99. 

They are 2x more capacity than what I had and will give out 2x more current making it harder to "kill" the packs. With the  Fuel Gauge I can now monitor the status of the packs and prevent full discharge to extend the life of the pack.

The Ridgid name is owned by the Ridge Tool Company which is a subsidiary of Emerson Electric. TTI holds exclusive rights to the Ridgid name in power tools under license from Emerson. Home Depot in turn has an exclusivity agreement with TTI for distribution of new power tools, though you can buy recon's from CPO.

Sweeeeeet! I have to admit, I tried the X4 stuff out and I would have NO problem using those tools professionally if I were a pro. But being avid and using my tools as they are I think I am qualified enough to form an opinion. My first Ridgid drill...nice drill, batteries - ehhh. The new X4 very solid. Would I sell my Hitachi and Milwaukee to switch now...no. I love what I have. But if I had re-bought into the line I know I would be happy. Put a 4.0 on it? All smiles!

I come a knats ass from buying into the Ridgid line before I chose Milwaukee. If Ridgid had've had a line-up comparable in size I probably would have pulled the trigger. My wife's family are well known home builders and they've been buying Ridgid almost exclusivly for the past year and half with good results. The biggest complaint they've had is taking 6 weeks to have a drill repaired under the Lifetime Service Agreement. The Ridgid stuff looks sweet too.

I got the batteries and they had no sign of any use. No marks where they slide against a power tool.

I took little bit of gamble here as I am sure some people will try to sell used packs or old cells inside of new shells. 

I charged them and tested them by screwing big bolts to a board. So much power....

Now what to do with the old unusable week packs? I did open them to look inside. There is quite a bit of electronics and 5 cells. 

I agree andy. I grew up with Dewalt, but when it came time for me to upgrade to a new cordless line a couple years ago Dewalt was just starting to release the 20V Max line and I believe the drill and impact driver were the only tools they'd actually released. There really wasn't any timetable on more releases and I wasn't going to risk investing in a line that got scrapped. I needed at least a 4 tool kit and wasn't going to wait God knows how long to get it so I went with Milwaukee. Don't regret my decision a bit. I'm a Milwaukee guy now. They're great tools.