Flexvolt problem

glass

I left a 60 volt battery in my truck overnight. It was in need of charging. It was 26 degrees when I got up this morning. Note it was not over drained I was using the flexvolt circular saw and it ran down to one bar and stopped once. Tried to charge it. No go too cold. I think this is a weak point of dewalt batteries. Might have to have more makita 18v x2. As a side note the 3 bar indicator on the dewalt batteries stinks. 4 bars is much better. 

Is the battery actually toast or it just needs to warm up before it'll take a charge?  The thing I don't like about lights is that they don't stay on for a couple seconds. Sometimes your fingers block the lights especially with gloves on.  With my m18 you press the button and take your hand off and have time to look at the charge.

1 minute ago, Jronman said:

I found a ds 130 works nice. fits 8 flex 2/6 batteries.

I use a Dewalt bag that I believe drill and impact came in. I can Hold about 15 batteries of varing sizes

As a professional and a buyer of premium tools leaving your batteries out over night below freezing is an amateur mistake

There is nothing wrong with storing lithium batteries at low temperature, in fact they will last longer that way.  You just can't charge them at low temperature because it damages the cells and they will output less energy when discharged in the cold. 

If you keep your batteries charged the heat from use will warm them up enough to be charged when done.  At least this works in the PA winter's.  It rarely gets below 0 here.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, JakeDewalt said:

As a professional and a buyer of premium tools leaving your batteries out over night below freezing is an amateur mistake

Oh hell I leave my 20v batteries in my truck year round, in Michigan.... been doing it for YEARS.... I must be an amateur.  I better go apologize to all my clients over the years for letting them think they hired a Pro.

• Like 1

according to dewalt:

http://www.dewalt.com/dewalt-dna/featured-articles/best-practices-for-battery-life

5. DOES THE OUTSIDE TEMPERATURE AFFECT BATTERIES? HOW?
Yes. If the batteries are too hot (105°F or higher) or too cold (below 40°F), the batteries will not take a full charge. Attempting to charge batteries outside the 40°F-105°F range can result in a permanent loss of run-time. When batteries are being charged and discharged, a chemical reaction is taking place, and if it is too hot or cold the chemical reaction is disturbed causing a loss of run-time.

So what do you do if it’s 25 out. Buy a special heater bag for your batteries. Makita says their batteries are good to -4. Who cares how powerful flexvolt is ignite cannot take the cold. I like many of Dewalt’s tools but they got to work. I just replaced my dewalt impact with the Makita xdt12. Man the Makita is nice. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, glass said:

So what do you do if it’s 25 out. Buy a special heater bag for your batteries. Makita says their batteries are good to -4. Who cares how powerful flexvolt is ignite cannot take the cold. I like many of Dewalt’s tools but they got to work. I just replaced my dewalt impact with the Makita xdt12. Man the Makita is nice. 

you can use the flexvolt when its cold, you just cant charge them.  and i'm sure all other brands of batteries are the same way.

Festool recommends 56 degrees to 106 for storing their batteries.

If it works for you keep doing what your doing 

Obviously some batteries would prefer to come inside at below freezing temperatures while sitting dormant.

At over 100 dollars a battery its a risk not worth taking.

To each their own

Didnt mean anything rude by saying amateur mistake as I make them all the time

I have dozens of every Dewalt battery...don’t know about your particular situation BUT...I haven’t had a bad battery yet...I work all winter everyday outside and All my Dewalt cordless tools AND batteries are outside working with me....

My truck contains all my Dewalt cordless tools with a battery on each tool and dozens of 5, and flex 6 and 9ah...spare batteries in my Tstak box tower in my truck ...Outside everyday ....never a problem...never a dead battery....

Today we built a deck ,as I do every weekend, it was 25 degree and 20mph wind...last night it was 20 degrees.....there is no heat in the bed of the truck where the tools stay....the spares do warm up some as I drive to the job....Snow,Rain,Heat,Cold....my Dewalt cordless tools and batteries have Not let me done...........I love the battery design and the abuse they-take... IMO...Dewalt ,makes  the Best Batteries...and tools.(well most tools,not 12v,or lights,or recip, )...😀

.....if you actually did have a problem with a battery..you should definitely contact Dewalt......but there is No Problem with the design or functionality of their batteries......

Will a battery charger actually warm a battery to the proper charging temp if it's on a hot/cold delay.  Obviously if its too hot the charger just waits until it's cooled down some.  The other day I had a flexvolt on a fast charger and the fan didn't kick on.  The battery had been out in 30 degree weather but it was charging just without the fan which was a first for me.