Flexvolt problem

glass

7 hours ago, glass said:

Calling his credibility out like that is, in a kind word, pompous.  Yeah @Framer joe is a "super fan" , but he probably owns and uses almost daily nearly every tool in DeWalt's  catalog as well as Ridgid and others, I for one take him at his word.  I too haven't had any failure with any of my DeWalt tools, I live in a state with some of the most bizarre unpredictable climates in the country with temperature swings of 30 degrees in 24hrs common, am I not credible with my experience?  Maybe I just know what to expect when any battery is cold......  

Charging cold packs can damage them, period. If you were allowed to you'd walk yourself directly into a complaint about a platforms batteries prematurely failing without considering why it probably happened. The cells found inside these batteries are often the same or very similar architecture across platforms, the fact that one brand may allow you to slowly fuck them up while another does not is hardly a feature.

As stated there's obvious workarounds to this, hell throw them in the floorboard and run the heat in the truck for 10min if all else fails, but it's naive to blame a company for trying to prevent you from complaining about your ignorance.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They really do use the same cells, check out some of AvE's vids, he breaks em open and shows the truth. Milwaukee and their "Red Lithium", all pap, they're just standard 18650 cells from the likes of Samsung or LG or whoever. 

For what it's worth, all my tools come in the house every single night, I'm not risking another theft. So mine are always kept at decent temps, they're a big investment and worth looking after. 

** Guys. Keep it civil. You want to name call or question people, do what I do....Think about it and keep it to yourself. **

I will watch this one too, for the members that continue to be an issue I will delete posts and if it continues I will deal with the member directly. 

The other comment has been hidden from member view.

Thank you, Chris.

• Thanks 1

On 11/11/2017 at 12:09 PM, TrimmerMatt said:

There is nothing wrong with storing lithium batteries at low temperature, in fact they will last longer that way.  You just can't charge them at low temperature because it damages the cells and they will output less energy when discharged in the cold. 

If you keep your batteries charged the heat from use will warm them up enough to be charged when done.  At least this works in the PA winter's.  It rarely gets below 0 here.

So they should be stored in cold but only charged or operated when warmed up?

Storing batteries outside kills batteries fast in the sense that it gets them stolen. Trust me I've lost a good twenty to thirty that way. Store them hot. Store them cold. Whatever gets the job done. Using them cold just affects their performance. Just don't charge them outside of the threshold. Keep an inverter and leave them charging in your pickup. Here when it drops below zero I rarely shut my pickup off. If there's no where warm at all on the job site for you I'm sorry. I just charge mine in my bedroom where it's heated overnight because I don't drain many batteries unless I'm in the shop. Some of you that probably won't be an option. 

27 minutes ago, Jronman said:

So they should be stored in cold but only charged or operated when warmed up?

They would last the longest that way,  but isn't always practical.   I feel like the winter temperatures averages out some of the damage that is done during the summer.  Some of the battery manufacturers have charts showing storage temperature vs life.  Look at page 3 of this one.

http://dalincom.ru/datasheet/SAMSUNG INR18650-25R.pdf

Maybe it’s that my batteries are in rotation....so the battery on my tool outside is used at work until 1 bar shows ,then that battery goes in a bag to be charged later, a new charged battery is grabbed from my Tstak drawer, in my truck and put on the tool.. that battery will stay there until 1 bar is read... when I go home the “dead batteries “ go on my 118chargers in my heated garage ...when they are charged they go in the Tstak box/drawers in the truck.....so different  batteries are being constantly rotated...from charger to storage drawer to tool ........all batteries are charged in my garage(warm)...but then placed in my truck outside....I don’t charge on the job ever....

...........I’m not a battery expert, at all...but I do know what works for me...it’s a Buisness first, “fan” second.......

.........I give my honest opinion on the tools I use everyday in harsh environments...I don’t embellish , it’s real life...I would never try to persuade someone to buy “Dewalt “just because it’s a Dewalt tool, every tool they make isnt the best.....although many are....but as a system of tools for my field I do like Dewalt....

........I learn many valuable tips,deals and tool uses on this forum, there are many talented guys/gals on here . I appreciate people taking the time to write ....some guys put some damn funny stuff up.quite witty......shit makes me laugh out loud sometimes.....😃

On 13-11-2017 at 1:27 AM, Framer joe said:

Maybe it’s that my batteries are in rotation....

Well you said so yourself. You charge your batteries inside at the end of the day inside where it is warm.  thats the correct way to go :) No lithium batteries like being charged in the cold/freezing.

If you would be charging your batteries back up outside in the winter you'd be killing em.  If they're dewalt, makita or milwaukee matters not. :)

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Tow truck driver in Fairbanks Alaska where it gets -40 f my dewalt 20 vmax batteries stay in my trk outside overnight and I've never had a problem with the batteries or the half inch impact they run dewalt makes some of the most durable cordless tools out there Milwaukee usually perform better but don't last as long in abusive environments go ahead and drop your dewalt in the dirt and it will keep working way longer than a red tool dropped in the same dirt 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Wrecker man said:

Tow truck driver in Fairbanks Alaska where it gets -40 f my dewalt 20 vmax batteries stay in my trk outside overnight and I've never had a problem with the batteries or the half inch impact they run dewalt makes some of the most durable cordless tools out there Milwaukee usually perform better but don't last as long in abusive environments go ahead and drop your dewalt in the dirt and it will keep working way longer than a red tool dropped in the same dirt 

That’s badass Welcome to the Forums. Rare to meet someone living in Alaska it seems 

• 9 months later...

Battery not charging!!! ANY ANSWERS/SUGGESTIONS!!??

-- My dewalt 9ah battery is not charging. When I hook it up to the charger the red light flashes like it's charging and 20-30 seconds later the red light stops flashing indicating that it is fully charged. Only problem is that the battery is not charged at all. Dewalt sent me a replacement but I would love to fix this one and sell it. Any answers to what the problem is???

9 hours ago, Km1.05cnst said:

Battery not charging!!! ANY ANSWERS/SUGGESTIONS!!??

-- My dewalt 9ah battery is not charging. When I hook it up to the charger the red light flashes like it's charging and 20-30 seconds later the red light stops flashing indicating that it is fully charged. Only problem is that the battery is not charged at all. Dewalt sent me a replacement but I would love to fix this one and sell it. Any answers to what the problem is???

I have a 20v Max 4ah battery that was doing the same thing.  DeWalt sent a new one, no questions asked, and after closer examination I realized that one or two of the terminals were corroded.  I saved the old battery as I'm certain the cells are good, and I think the charger is simply unable to read the battery's condition.  Check your connection terminals, you may find a similar issue.