FlexVolt DCS690 cutoff machine

Bremon

Can't see it taking off. Stihl who are pretty much a house hold name of concrete saws have been doing a battery powered model for years. I've still not seen one other than in catalogues. Given its just a 9" grinder built to look like a 'stihl' saw, they'd have been better making a 9" grinder look like a 9" grinder, then offer concrete cutting accessories. Just comes across as gimmicky. 

1 hour ago, DR99 said:

Sthil might be the standard for a cutoff saw, but Dewalt is a mass market tool company someone might be willing to add this to their stable of tools compared to investing in a Sthil setup gas or battery powered.

I don't associate flexvolt tools with concrete cutting and coring. I don't associate groundwork with joinery or carpentry. 

As I said. It's gimmicky. 

I understand why you think that but in all actuality having the water function makes it useful. Plenty of times I've run a grinder and wish I would have had this tool for sure. Demo is where this would shine. 

That said, give me the 120v 12-14in. I'd pay $800 for that in a kit all day. 

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

I understand why you think that but in all actuality having the water function makes it useful. Plenty of times I've run a grinder and wish I would have had this tool for sure. Demo is where this would shine. 

That said, give me the 120v 12-14in. I'd pay $800 for that in a kit all day. 

You're completely glossing over what I'm saying. 

They could have made a 9" flex volt grinder and sold a guard with a hozenlock type water feed attached, no problem. There's no need for the bulky body and handle to make it look like your perception of a concrete saw. 

While it's got the water feed, why not make an attachment that is a complete cowl for dry plunge cutting or wall chasing? Grout removal? Vacuum attachments? For a cordless saw it would be nice to use cordless vacs. They'll have to offer a pressurised water vessel like Hilti and Stihl do otherwise you're still tethered to a mains water feed. 

This is why I'm saying it's gimmicky. I'm sure the tool itself will perform brilliantly, they're just on a single track with it which I think is a shame. 

Naturally I'm sure the core flexvolt users will buy it without question because that's what they do. Unquestionable brand devotion in most cases blind the buyer from seeing alternative possibilities of flaws. I'm guilty of it in cases too so I'm not pointing the finger. 

24 minutes ago, SchenzhenSpecial said:

They could have made a 9" flex volt grinder and sold a guard with a hozenlock type water feed attached, no problem. There's no need for the bulky body and handle to make it look like your perception of a concrete saw. 

While it's got the water feed, why not make an attachment that is a complete cowl for dry plunge cutting or wall chasing? Grout removal? Vacuum attachments? For a cordless saw it would be nice to use cordless vacs. They'll have to offer a pressurised water vessel like Hilti and Stihl do otherwise you're still tethered to a mains water feed. 

This is why I'm saying it's gimmicky. I'm sure the tool itself will perform brilliantly, they're just on a single track with it which I think is a shame. 

Naturally I'm sure the core flexvolt users will buy it without question because that's what they do. Unquestionable brand devotion in most cases blind the buyer from seeing alternative possibilities of flaws. I'm guilty of it in cases too so I'm not pointing the finger. 

I don’t see how it is gimmicky ? 

Why make a 9” ? If I wanted to use a 9” I would. I work with steel, on the odd occasion Ive had to use a gas 12” Cut-Off saw for the longer reach vs a 9”. Mind you I could be working on a boom lift 12m in the air. The flexvolt would be perfect for my needs. 

1 hour ago, Makita_2233 said:

I don’t see how it is gimmicky ? 

Why make a 9” ? If I wanted to use a 9” I would. I work with steel, on the odd occasion Ive had to use a gas 12” Cut-Off saw for the longer reach vs a 9”. Mind you I could be working on a boom lift 12m in the air. The flexvolt would be perfect for my needs. 

It's not a 12" saw. 

1 hour ago, SchenzhenSpecial said:

It's not a 12" saw. 

If it does the job that the person in bucket lift needs, then why would he want to wrestle with a 12 inch saw? There is such a thing a the right size for the job. Just look at the discussion folks have about cordless miter saws on here. the FlexVolt 12 inch sliding compound miter saw is the king at almost 70 pounds plus a stand. Other folks want something smaller and more portable and easier to transport. I know I prefer the little 7 1/4 slider at about 30 pounds when moving it from room to room versus the big  beast, but then again I don't install trim that would require the cutting capacity of the big saw.

If all you are doing is cutting concrete on the ground, weight may not matter to you and added dept of cut might be nice, but if you are holding a tool up against a wall or overhead, having a lower weight would be helpful. I would much rather reach over the side of a bucket and use a 20 pound tool than reach over the side and use a 30 pound saw.

14 minutes ago, Grumpy MSG said:

If it does the job that the person in bucket lift needs, then why would he want to wrestle with a 12 inch saw? There is such a thing a the right size for the job. Just look at the discussion folks have about cordless miter saws on here. the FlexVolt 12 inch sliding compound miter saw is the king at almost 70 pounds plus a stand. Other folks want something smaller and more portable and easier to transport. I know I prefer the little 7 1/4 slider at about 30 pounds when moving it from room to room versus the big  beast, but then again I don't install trim that would require the cutting capacity of the big saw.

What are you talking about? Have you even read anything I've said about it looking too bulky and gimmicky when it could have just been based on a grinder design? I don't think you have. 

7 minutes ago, Makita_2233 said:

Yes I have. What about it ? I asked my flexvolt rep today and I was told it’s going to be a 12” 

Well the thread is in reference to photos from that show, not what your rep told you today.

3 minutes ago, SchenzhenSpecial said:
5 minutes ago, SchenzhenSpecial said:

Well the thread is in reference to photos from that show, not what your rep told you today.

Okay so one of the photos is the Id sticker which references a 12” blade capacity and an rpm of 5000 which would be to slow for a 9” disc. I heard about this FV Cut-Off saw month ago and had a patent diagram. Both  were a saying 12”. No one can even confirm if it is a 9” blade on the saw at the show. I know it looks like one, maybe it’s a very early prototype and wasn’t ready for a 12” blade  

A 12" blade will add considerable load to the entire drivetrain, especially the electrical part, over a 9" blade. To be able to cope the speed will definitely need to be slower. The load (Amps) will jump a lot with that larger blade, but I'm sure the DeWalt engineers will work out what works. 

I'll stop talking now because I've never used one of these cutters which means I've little more to add. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jronman said:

actually according to the sticker on the saw, it says 12 in. At this point I'm not sure anyone knows what size it is for sure.

There's a lot more evidence on the contrary. It doesn't look anywhere near a 12" blade. It would ring true with the other flexvolt tools given that the 12" mitre saw is 2x batteries (and I'll wager even hard woods are softer than concrete and steel rebar). The video I've posted of the guy in the dewalt shirt next to the dewalt saw stood in a DeWalt booth said it's not 12".

I think it's a big reach to suggest this saw will be a 12"(let's not kid ourselves by saying we can't be sure what the demo model is, we know it's not 12"). It's either hinting at another model in development and a couple of bodies were assembled at the same time or an error happened in marketing. 

18 hours ago, SchenzhenSpecial said:

I don't associate flexvolt tools with concrete cutting and coring. I don't associate groundwork with joinery or carpentry. 

As I said. It's gimmicky. 

At one point people didn’t associate Nintendo with video games, or Tiffany’s with jewellery. Times change, perception changes with it. Your opinion of this tool is valuable in this thread, but your sample size of one makes it basically weightless where it concerns the mass marketability of this product. It’s not a gas replacement, and doesn’t seem to be meant to be one. Guys who need to cut less concrete are better served by having battery compatibility with their existing tools rather than a cordless Stihl which can be used to power... mitre saws? Table saws? Sawzalls? Drills? Anything outside of lawn equipment?

16 minutes ago, Bremon said:

At one point people didn’t associate Nintendo with video games, or Tiffany’s with jewellery. Times change, perception changes with it. Your opinion of this tool is valuable in this thread, but your sample size of one makes it basically weightless where it concerns the mass marketability of this product. It’s not a gas replacement, and doesn’t seem to be meant to be one. Guys who need to cut less concrete are better served by having battery compatibility with their existing tools rather than a cordless Stihl which can be used to power... mitre saws? Table saws? Sawzalls? Drills? Anything outside of lawn equipment?

13 hours ago, SchenzhenSpecial said:

This is why I'm saying it's gimmicky.

If it's not a Stihl and it's not meant to replace one, why bulid it to look and function like one, with one sole purpose in mind? While this will just as easily cut steel too, it could have been better served to have a smaller, lighter feel of a body with multiple guards to suit other purposes.

I have to ask without trying to come across sounding silly, in this forum, does anyone read anything I write without jumping to a conclusion of what I've said or am I not clear enough in what I'm saying?

I see the design with the look of a stihl and others because that's the best way to use a hand held saw to cut straight at distance in concrete. A grinder style would mean your damn near crawling to cut rather then bending over. This looks correct and a larger version seems likely in the future.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, SchenzhenSpecial said:

What are you talking about? Have you even read anything I've said about it looking too bulky and gimmicky when it could have just been based on a grinder design? I don't think you have. 

I am talking about the 9 versus 12 inch arguments. You are arguing for basing the design on a grinder, meanwhile DeWALT appears to have based the idea on the same thing the Stihl saw was based on, a chainsaw. What DeWALT has done is create something that mimics what could be argued as an industry standard design, not something new and very different. They run a single battery for the 8 1/4 tablesaw and two batteries in their 12 inch miter saws. So it stands to reason that to go to a bigger blade would mean a bigger motor, longer transmission arm (or whatever it is called) bigger guard, probably 2 batteries and (my argument) a lot more weight. 

59 minutes ago, Grumpy MSG said:

I am talking about the 9 versus 12 inch arguments. You are arguing for basing the design on a grinder, meanwhile DeWALT appears to have based the idea on the same thing the Stihl saw was based on, a chainsaw. What DeWALT has done is create something that mimics what could be argued as an industry standard design, not something new and very different. They run a single battery for the 8 1/4 tablesaw and two batteries in their 12 inch miter saws. So it stands to reason that to go to a bigger blade would mean a bigger motor, longer transmission arm (or whatever it is called) bigger guard, probably 2 batteries and (my argument) a lot more weight. 

I wasn't arguing for a bigger blade though.

53 minutes ago, JakeDewalt said:

I once chopped up a Storage Container for a customer and this would have came in handy.

It almost looks like it should be on a fire truck next to the jaws of life 

That's not a bad idea for an FD I know the blade isn't as big but being cordless has its positives.