Is a spade drill bit good for drilling through softwood

kellabella

I need to drill a hole in the back of my nightstand to run the cords from my electronic devices through. I’m constantly tripping over the wires so I can’t leave them on the floor anymore. 

Full disclosure, I am a total novice on anything related to power tools. I have my fathers power drill never used it (it’s the M18 18-Volt 1/2 in. Cordless Compact Brushless Hammer Drill). I’ve read a lot on all the different types of drill bits to use. I found a post where she was drilling a hole in her cabinet for the same purpose. She said the spade drill bit worked perfectly to pull the power cord through.

Can you let me know if a spade bit is what I should use or something else?  I don’t know if it will help or not but I uploaded a picture of my nightstand. 

Thanks in in advance for your help. 

9311B5A5-FA47-419C-818D-2828D9D3EB29.jpeg

What size hole do you need? Spades will damage the back side of the wood known as tear out or in extreme cases a blow out. There are some ways to avoid this such as drilling half way through both sides or other types of bits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like Jimbo mentioned tear out could be an issue. I would drill a pilot hole first and partially drill both sides first and then pick one side to punch through. Another method is putting a small piece of wood behind the hole your drilling that also helps with tear out.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2017 at 3:38 PM, JimboS1ice said:

What size hole do you need? Spades will damage the back side of the wood known as tear out or in extreme cases a blow out. There are some ways to avoid this such as drilling half way through both sides or other types of bits.

there is a difference between tear out and blow out?