Multiple platforms

sadfkjnbb

I have 4. I regret not having enough time to use the batteries (since having a baby and only doing diy work). I hate the thought of them sitting idle for 6 months or more and possibly deteriorating quicker (is this applicable to lithium ion?).

Across the 4 platforms combined I have 11 batteries. If I had less platforms, they would get more use. If I could use them at least once a month I wouldn't have a problem with it.

I once had ambitions to have all the major platforms, but not any more, I just don't want anymore batteries sitting around unused. I may even downsize to 3.

2 platforms are a minimum I reckon. 

I havea number of cordless platforms.  DeWalt 12v Max and 20v Max, Milwaukee M18, and Ridgid 18v are my primary, but I also have tools in the Bosch 12v Max, Hitachi 12v Peak and 18v, Kobalt 20v Max, Porter Cable 12v Max and 18v, and B&D 14.4v systems.  My main three brands are consisted of tools that either competitors don't offer or which I found for prices I couldn't pass on.  

Similar to other posters, my biggest regret is that I lack the time to really give the batteries a workout.  Ridgid is the system which I own the least of, and with four 4Ah and three 2Ah batteries to run little a used router, ROS sander, compressor, vacuum, and fans, you can imagine that the batteries sit idle quite often. 

I've got Makita 18v, Milwaukee 18v, some ridgid 24/18v.  No tool brand offers every cordless tool, and its also nice to have another option since sometimes tool companies dont always put their best foot forward with every tool. Makita and milwaukee have the two largest 18v platforms and they both tend to offer more obscure specialty tools than other brands, so ive got pretty much evwrythong i need covered with the two.  

I’m in the Milwaukee M18 & M12 lines and just recently Festool. I didn’t want to wait for Milwaukee to finally put out a track saw.

I’m looking to get into the DeWalt 20V MAX line for the Tool Connect tools, the Flexvolt line for the chainsaw and compressor the 12V MAX line for a laser, the Kobalt 24V line to try since the batteries are so inexpensive, and the Hilti 12V line just because I like 12V tools and their current entire lineup can be bought for ~$250.

If you’re waiting for Milwaukee to put out a cordless router you will likely have to wait a few years. The Ridgid doing so well is a good sign that Milwaukee may release one in the future but they’re not exactly rushing to pump out tools for woodworkers. I do my see an issue with having multiple battery platforms if your main company doesn’t offer what you need/want. If I wanted a 18v jigsaw today I would immediately go with the Festool Carvex because Milwaukee only has the top handle 18v model and I can’t stand that style. If I wanted a new OMT I’d go with Fein because they have starlock models.

I have three Dewalt battery platforms, along with Makita, Milwaukee, Fein, Metabo, and one lone old Bosch NiCad battery tool that sits on the shelf because I haven't found the time to rebuild it's batteries. I also have a cordless Dremel tool that has stood the test of time, mostly because it only sees limited use. I have an EGO mower too, as at the time I was looking for a cordless option, it was the best available.

Purchase what you need for any particular project you have in mind. You can always sell the tool at a later date if it does not work out for you, or your favorite platform eventually makes a competing model, and consider any loss in value as rent, or cost of education. Having the right tool for the job right now is a solid advantage over just making due without while waiting for your brand to maybe produce what you need.

I have DeWALT 20v and 60v and some EGO. I have tried sticking with very few battery platforms which has worked so far. I could have stuck with DeWALT for OPE but I felt EGO was the better choice in the long run. All my woodworking and work tools I can get with DeWALT and all my OPE I can get with EGO. My parents wanted to get me a heated jacket and I found a deal on an m12 jacket so I will be an m12 owner soon. I hope to get the m12 stapler as well. I am trying to avoid anymore platforms but Festool cordless is calling my name in both their normal 18v and sander batteries. I try to avoid corded tools.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Jronman said:

Are you choosing Tool Connect over One Key?

For the most part I am sticking with One-Key. I have the One-Key Impact Driver and 3/8” Impact Wrench which I like a lot. I’m planning on getting the One-Key Sawzall in the next month as well. I donated my normal Milwaukee drill to someone who had their tools stolen and I was originally going to get the One-Key to replace it but I want to try Tool Connect and I don’t need a 5th Impact driver so I decided the compact drill would solve two problems.

I will still likely pickup the One-Key drill in the future just to have. It also gives me a less expensive way into the 20V MAX line so I can buy bare tools in the future if they put something out I want.

There’s only a $40 difference between the Tool Connect kit with two compact 2.0ah batteries and the bare tool One-Key. I’m also interested in getting a few of their Tags to compare to the Ticks I already own.

17 hours ago, Grumpy MSG said:

Actually if you look a little backward, you can find Porter-Cable made one in 19.2 volts porter-cable-9290.jpg

I would love to get my hands on one of those. With the larger base it doesn't look as top heavy as the cordless trim routers. I have used the cordless Ridgid router but the not the Makita.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jronman said:

I have DeWALT 20v and 60v and some EGO. I have tried sticking with very few battery platforms which has worked so far. I could have stuck with DeWALT for OPE but I felt EGO was the better choice in the long run. All my woodworking and work tools I can get with DeWALT and all my OPE I can get with EGO. My parents wanted to get me a heated jacket and I found a deal on an m12 jacket so I will be an m12 owner soon. I hope to get the m12 stapler as well. I am trying to avoid anymore platforms but Festool cordless is calling my name in both their normal 18v and sander batteries. I try to avoid corded tools.

Ego was just too tempting not to invest in.

1 minute ago, Stercorarius said:

Yeah started to try the flexvolt and M12 platforms again but those were stolen from the shop at work so I'm back down to 20v tools only again.

Fuck dude that sucks. At this point it would be all Ryobi with all the theft issues you have dealt with!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DR99 said:

Fuck dude that sucks. At this point it would be all Ryobi with all the theft issues you have dealt with!!

Yeah thinking about going all Ruger or S&W tools at this point ;) Applied for a job working on windmills and another working on forklifts and another doing industrial wiring so if any of them call back I'll see what tools I'll actually even need. I have to move to find work anyway so I'm just pushing my search radius out a hundred miles at a time. If it starts to get too far I'll probably not take a whole lotta of tools with me.

1 hour ago, Stercorarius said:

Yeah thinking about going all Ruger or S&W tools at this point ;) Applied for a job working on windmills and another working on forklifts and another doing industrial wiring so if any of them call back I'll see what tools I'll actually even need. I have to move to find work anyway so I'm just pushing my search radius out a hundred miles at a time. If it starts to get too far I'll probably not take a whole lotta of tools with me.

I used to be a forklift mechanic.  Kept only my six-drawer top box on the truck and basic hand tools along with a multimeter were my most used tools.  Cordless wasn't prevalent back then, but looking back I'd have loved an impact driver, high torque impact wrench, and maybe a drill and reciprocating saw.  The last tool would have come in handy for worn out load wheel replacement on pallet jacks and such.