What are your 2018 Tool Plans?

fm2176

In three weeks, 2017 will be gone, and given that Christmas is only two weeks away, many of us have probably stopped buying (major) tools for ourselves.  What tools do you plan to buy next year?  I know all of the manufacturers continue to innovate, and 2018 will surely see some new tools some of us simply have to add.  Are any of you planning to invest in a battery platform different than the one(s) you already have?

Like some of you, my initial 2018 tools plans involve the post-holiday clearance deals at Lowe's and Home Depot.  The latter store is especially known for its hit or miss post-holiday deals, such as $100 ToughSystem radios and even penny deals for a lucky few.  After that, we'll see where need and desire take me.  I want to get the DeWalt fan along with the portable power station.  On the Milwaukee front, I'm sure some more M18 Fuel will be added, as might some M12.  Ridgid doesn't offer much else I don't already have, but their tripod and some lighting may be in order.  If I have disposable income and find the "right" deals, I'll probably buy some things to give to others. 

Overall, I think that the second half of 2018 will be when I slow down on tool buying and begin ramping up my tool use.  My time as a Drill Sergeant, with the associated 80-100 hour work weeks, comes to a close in May, and I'll be going to a unit I spent some time in previously, which stays much busier than other Infantry units (when they are stateside) but which will also see me spending most nights at home, unlike most Infantry units.  May will also mark the end of my undergraduate studies, and though I plan to start a graduate program, I'm thinking about going for a post-baccalaureate certificate first.  The reduced hours spent at work and doing online coursework, along with my proximity to family and friends, will hopefully see me spending less time browsing the aisles at local stores and more time in the shop or helping others out. 

I hope all of you are looking forward to 2018.  Like every year, it will present some unique challenges, but overall I have to admit that we live in some great times!  Just don't listen to the media...  :D

• Like 2

In three weeks, 2017 will be gone, and given that Christmas is only two weeks away, many of us have probably stopped buying (major) tools for ourselves.  What tools do you plan to buy next year?  I know all of the manufacturers continue to innovate, and 2018 will surely see some new tools some of us simply have to add.  Are any of you planning to invest in a battery platform different than the one(s) you already have?

Like some of you, my initial 2018 tools plans involve the post-holiday clearance deals at Lowe's and Home Depot.  The latter store is especially known for its hit or miss post-holiday deals, such as $100 ToughSystem radios and even penny deals for a lucky few.  After that, we'll see where need and desire take me.  I want to get the DeWalt fan along with the portable power station.  On the Milwaukee front, I'm sure some more M18 Fuel will be added, as might some M12.  Ridgid doesn't offer much else I don't already have, but their tripod and some lighting may be in order.  If I have disposable income and find the "right" deals, I'll probably buy some things to give to others. 

Overall, I think that the second half of 2018 will be when I slow down on tool buying and begin ramping up my tool use.  My time as a Drill Sergeant, with the associated 80-100 hour work weeks, comes to a close in May, and I'll be going to a unit I spent some time in previously, which stays much busier than other Infantry units (when they are stateside) but which will also see me spending most nights at home, unlike most Infantry units.  May will also mark the end of my undergraduate studies, and though I plan to start a graduate program, I'm thinking about going for a post-baccalaureate certificate first.  The reduced hours spent at work and doing online coursework, along with my proximity to family and friends, will hopefully see me spending less time browsing the aisles at local stores and more time in the shop or helping others out. 

I hope all of you are looking forward to 2018.  Like every year, it will present some unique challenges, but overall I have to admit that we live in some great times!  Just don't listen to the media...  [emoji3]
Bet your glad to be back from the range lol still, beats recruiting, eh? Personally, I'm looking into expanding with more flexvolt, I've been peckish thus far only grabbing what I had immediate use for. Lot of recent life changes should be settling down for me so I'm pre-planning for some shop space and the stationeries to go with. I'm pretty stocked w/ yellow 20v from contracting, and I only really added various hand tools w/ a 12v jobmax in recent side work remodeling projects, so I know there's a lot of potential building a shop area[emoji106] enjoyed the post, enjoy the holidays!
  • Like 2

No new battery platforms planned for 2018 as of now. Not many tool purchases planned either, I want to get a bigger band saw I have more blade options and real resaw capacity. The little Ryobi is good for small stock and curve cuts but it needs a big brother.

Im looking at a Grizzly model that has a riser to give 12” of resaw capacity. It’s $718 for the Saw, riser kit, and shipping which is $400 lower than the next comparable capacity model that doesn’t require a riser.

I need to buy a jointer so I can just buy rough lumber from the lumber store and save some money. Right now it’ll probably be a 6” Cutech model since neither it nor the planer are purchases that I expect to be the final of each machine I buy. May go up to the 8” but haven’t 100% decided.

Going to pick up a Festool CT Midi extractor hopefully it will actually be a 2017 purchase since I still have the $50 deal from the pro5. Also want to pick up a Jet 1015 variable speed lathe and bed extension, along with some Veritas chisels and planes.

• Like 2

No new battery platforms planned for 2018 as of now. Not many tool purchases planned either, I want to get a bigger band saw I have more blade options and real resaw capacity. The little Ryobi is good for small stock and curve cuts but it needs a big brother.

Im looking at a Grizzly model that has a riser to give 12” of resaw capacity. It’s $718 for the Saw, riser kit, and shipping which is $400 lower than the next comparable capacity model that doesn’t require a riser.

I need to buy a jointer so I can just buy rough lumber from the lumber store and save some money. Right now it’ll probably be a 6” Cutech model since neither it nor the planer are purchases that I expect to be the final of each machine I buy. May go up to the 8” but haven’t 100% decided.

Going to pick up a Festool CT Midi extractor hopefully it will actually be a 2017 purchase since I still have the $50 deal from the pro5. Also want to pick up a Jet 1015 variable speed lathe and bed extension, along with some Veritas chisels and planes.
Check out the Rikon 10-324 bandsaw. They go on sale from time to time making it the same price if not cheaper than the grizzly. It has a 13" resaw capacity with 1.5ho motor instead of the 3/4 or 1 hp from grizzly.
https://www.woodcraft.com/products/rikon-14-open-stand-bandsaw-1-5-hp

My power tool plans include a track saw.

Hand tool plans are more planes. Shoulder planes, router planes, low angle smoother, jack, and block. Also a nicer set of lie Nielsen chisels. I REALLY want the pmv-11 chisels from veritas but they are super expensive.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rrich1 said:

Check out the Rikon 10-324 bandsaw. They go on sale from time to time making it the same price if not cheaper than the grizzly. It has a 13" resaw capacity with 1.5ho motor instead of the 3/4 or 1 hp from grizzly.

Hmm, I'll have to watch for that to go on sale because I like the idea of not having to worry about a riser block, it gives me an extra inch of resaw capacity, and I think it just looks nicer. The local Woodcraft has limited quantities and they want $200+ to ship it, looks like Acme has it for the same price but with free shipping and the benefit of no tax.

Hmm, I'll have to watch for that to go on sale because I like the idea of not having to worry about a riser block, it gives me an extra inch of resaw capacity, and I think it just looks nicer. The local Woodcraft has limited quantities and they want $200+ to ship it, looks like Acme has it for the same price but with free shipping and the benefit of no tax.
If you have a wood craft or rockler close you should be able to order it and not pay the shipping. I bought this saw and am really happy with it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

This is my short list.

Definite Buys

M18 FUEL One-Key Sawzall

TSO Products GRS-16 Guide Rail Square

Festool CT MIDI Dust Extractor

Festool Router OF 1400 EQ-F-Plus

Festool RO 150 FEQ Rotex Sander

Festool Hole Drilling Set LR 32-SYS

2x Guide Rail FS 1400/2-LR 32

Few other misc items like clamps, sandpaper, TSTAK’s, and Systainers.

Potential buys, definitely won’t be getting all of them but probably a few from each list.

Milwaukee

M18 FUEL 1/2” High Torque w/ One-Key (might go with the 3/4” version)

M18 Radius Site Light

M18 FUEL 4-1/2” Braking Grinder

2x M18 Rocket Tower Light

2x M18 Rover

M18 FUEL 7-1/4” Miter Saw

M18 Mid Torque Impact Wrench

M12 FUEL 3/8” Ratchet

M12 FUEL Impact Driver and Drill (Gen 2) (Hoping for a free set from Milwaukee but I’m not holding my breath.)

M12 Underhood Light

New USB Lights

DeWalt

20V MAX Tool Connect Compact Drill Kit

20V MAX Tool Connect Impact Driver Kit

2x 20V MAX Stackable Area Light Kit

20V MAX Flathead Grinder Kit

20V MAX Die Grinder Kit

Flexvolt Compressor

Flexvolt Chainsaw

New Power Station (once it’s available)

Flexvolt batteries (for power station)

Festool

CT 26 (once the new bluetooth models come out)

Carvex (likely corded)

Bluetooth Airstream Batteries (again once they’re released)

Domino DF 500

ETS EC 150/3

TS 55 REQ

SawStop Jobsite Saw

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Jronman said:

I will try to get the m12 stapler and a new phone. I'm am trying to go into saving mode so I can eventually get a pickup truck and find a place to live. I will have to move houses in 9 or so years.

A new phone for me, that's my most needed tool. My battery and camera on my old iPhone 5 are becoming a real issue and I need that for work.

I need some more wood clamps, some misc woodworking stuff. Also need more variations of wood on-hand, it sucks getting an idea and having to schedule a shopping trip.

• Like 1

- 18V circular saw either from Makita, Dewalt, or Metabo (if the new version comes out and looks better than the others)

- Dewalt 20V hedge trimmer

- Another drill

- Welding table

- More Grip-On

Well a job first. Until then don't plan on spending any money on tools. Even then it will just be what the job requires. Got screwed over going above and beyond at my last job so I'll stick to the bare minimum next time. Would maybe like to get the mid torque DeWalt or a cordless angle grinder.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, BMack37 said:

A new phone for me, that's my most needed tool. My battery and camera on my old iPhone 5 are becoming a real issue and I need that for work.

I need some more wood clamps, some misc woodworking stuff. Also need more variations of wood on-hand, it sucks getting an idea and having to schedule a shopping trip.

I still got an iPhone 4 haha. I heard the 5 had battery issues and I'd say its true. My dads 5 has battery issues too. I will probably hold out until the new models in September if mine lasts until then.

9 hours ago, Jronman said:

I still got an iPhone 4 haha. I heard the 5 had battery issues and I'd say its true. My dads 5 has battery issues too. I will probably hold out until the new models in September if mine lasts until then.

I'd agree too, I replaced the one on my Mom's, mine was replaced under warranty a few years ago. The battery bulges and it pops the screen up.

VzJQhKc.jpg

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, BMack37 said:

I'd agree too, I replaced the one on my Mom's, mine was replaced under warranty a few years ago. The battery bulges and it pops the screen up.

Not sure if my dad's does this but it tends to drain really quickly. Sometimes light use will drain it fast. Also he plugs it in then it goes from low battery to quite a bit charged in very little time. Its very inconsistent with the battery. A new phone will also allow me to download newer apps. I can't even get any tool apps. My app selection is VERY limited. There was even a time I had to download an insurance app to my mom's phone cause mine was too old.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jronman said:

Not sure if my dad's does this but it tends to drain really quickly. Sometimes light use will drain it fast. Also he plugs it in then it goes from low battery to quite a bit charged in very little time. Its very inconsistent with the battery. A new phone will also allow me to download newer apps. I can't even get any tool apps. My app selection is VERY limited. There was even a time I had to download an insurance app to my mom's phone cause mine was too old.

Yeah, the Milwaukee app is available for the generation after mine and newer. It sucks because I know I'm going to end up with an iPhone X and I think it's soo overpriced...but I hate a lot of little things on Android and iOS is just soo clean.

This coming year is going to be a great one by the looks of it, I am starting a new job after a bidding war between my current employer and new employer, so this year will be a bunch of the more expensive DeWalt 20v and flexvolt tools, I might get into the m12 system also there are a few tools I want in that line up. I might go for a new phone also my Nexus 6 is starting to show it's age

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

OP, thank you for your service! Your sacrifice allow us tool dorks the freedom to follow our tool acquisition drives.

As far as what tools, ‘plans’ is too strong of word. I need to get a subcompact tractor as I just bought some land with a Christmas tree farm on it, and a pretty good sized lawn... looking at ~25 HP models from Massey Ferguson, John Deere, and Kubota. I think I kinda want a loader and backhoe.... I do want a tiller and mower, I figure I should be able to rent a box blade when I need one.

I need to get a couple of chain saws, big and little, if I don’t end up finding the Husquvarna I think the GF’s son stole.

I do want the new M12 Fuel drill, the Fuel ratchets. I kinda want an M18 sawzall. M18 Fuel compact 1/2” impact wrench. Surge impact driver.

Kinda want to get a mitre saw (maybe Bosch), one or two bandsaws (little Rikon, bigger Laguna) track saw (Makita corded), spindle sander. If I don’t end up getting my grandfather’s old CM table saw tuned up the way I want it, I would like to pick up a Delta or Laguna.

• Like 2