What are your 2018 Tool Plans?

fm2176

3 hours ago, BK13 said:

OP, thank you for your service! Your sacrifice allow us tool dorks the freedom to follow our tool acquisition drives.

As far as what tools, ‘plans’ is too strong of word. I need to get a subcompact tractor as I just bought some land with a Christmas tree farm on it, and a pretty good sized lawn... looking at ~25 HP models from Massey Ferguson, John Deere, and Kubota. I think I kinda want a loader and backhoe.... I do want a tiller and mower, I figure I should be able to rent a box blade when I need one.

I need to get a couple of chain saws, big and little, if I don’t end up finding the Husquvarna I think the GF’s son stole.

I do want the new M12 Fuel drill, the Fuel ratchets. I kinda want an M18 sawzall. M18 Fuel compact 1/2” impact wrench. Surge impact driver.

Kinda want to get a mitre saw (maybe Bosch), one or two bandsaws (little Rikon, bigger Laguna) track saw (Makita corded), spindle sander. If I don’t end up getting my grandfather’s old CM table saw tuned up the way I want it, I would like to pick up a Delta or Laguna.

Is there a Ventrac in your future.  Dan endorsed.

• Like 1

I cannot afford to get into any platforms other than the one I am currently in which is Ryobi. I have already ordered a circular saw, reciprocating saw, hammer-drill and impact driver; all brushless. Other than that it will depend on what my needs are. I plan to get the 10" cordless miter saw if the need arises and I will be buying the rotary hammer because I foresee needing to drill some holes in masonry. I also plan to get either the cordless 6 gal. shop vac or stick vac. I will probably get both eventually, but considering my short term needs; I will probably get the stick vac first. I hope they release the 3.0, 6.0 and 9.0 batteries soon. if they do, and release some tools to go with them, I may add some stuff to this list.

10 hours ago, cliu said:

I cannot afford to get into any platforms other than the one I am currently in which is Ryobi. I have already ordered a circular saw, reciprocating saw, hammer-drill and impact driver; all brushless. Other than that it will depend on what my needs are. I plan to get the 10" cordless miter saw if the need arises and I will be buying the rotary hammer because I foresee needing to drill some holes in masonry. I also plan to get either the cordless 6 gal. shop vac or stick vac. I will probably get both eventually, but considering my short term needs; I will probably get the stick vac first. I hope they release the 3.0, 6.0 and 9.0 batteries soon. if they do, and release some tools to go with them, I may add some stuff to this list.

The Ryobi rotary hammer drill is awful, but if you're sticking with the one platform then it'll suffice. Keep in mind that it has no slipper clutch or electronic protection, so if it starts to bind up, stop drilling or you'll kill it! Trust me, I know! :lol:

On 12/18/2017 at 12:41 PM, rfwjr said:

Is there a Ventrac in your future.  Dan endorsed.

Probably not. Most likely (in order)

1. Kubota

2. Massey-Ferguson

3. John Deere

It’s pretty flat ground and my needs are pretty simple. Mostly mowing my lawn and the grass between trees, yanking out stumps, tilling my garden, and a one time task of redoing/leveling/smoothing my lawn.

And Dan’s afraid of saws. I’m not taking advise from THAT guy. LOL

• Haha 1

On 12/18/2017 at 11:28 PM, Tug said:

The Ryobi rotary hammer drill is awful, but if you're sticking with the one platform then it'll suffice. Keep in mind that it has no slipper clutch or electronic protection, so if it starts to bind up, stop drilling or you'll kill it! Trust me, I know! :lol:

I am not planning to do anything to extreme so I'll see. I had the earlier rotary hammer and it worked fine. I once used it to drill about 20 1/4" holes 6" deep and it performed flawlessly. Personally I would prefer something a little beefier i.e. the Dewalt or Milwaukee D handle one, but that is not an option for me.

5 hours ago, cliu said:

I am not planning to do anything to extreme so I'll see. I had the earlier rotary hammer and it worked fine. I once used it to drill about 20 1/4" holes 6" deep and it performed flawlessly. Personally I would prefer something a little beefier i.e. the Dewalt or Milwaukee D handle one, but that is not an option for me.

Depending on where you’re going to be using it, corded might be a better option....

10 hours ago, cliu said:

Small fixing holes it'll cope with, but not much else. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I am a carpenter by trade and have been burnt the hell out for years about doing projects in my own home. Being down in the keys for over 4 months remodeling my parent's home has sparked a new  interest in rehabbing my house now, so I have treated myself to some new tools. I bought a new Makita table saw online and sent my ex wife to pick it up and bring it to her place. I also bought myself a new Milwaukee fuel impact driver while down here, so I had a nice collection of impact bits sent to her house. Also, had a new air hose, new Porter Cable brad nailer, new PC framing nailer(since mine finally shat the bed down here, but I will try to repair it when I get home) new ten and 12 inch blades for the circular saw and my Dewalt 780 miter saw(that I bought myself for my birthday in september) new miter saw stand with wheels, a digital protractor and a Bosch laser sent to her place. I have a few hundred feet of base to stain, poly and install at their house so I figured why not send some of my stuff there so it's safe and ready when I get home. My old Makita 10 inch miter has been living in their master bedroom all winter lol

So that's my initial tool dump for 2018. Most of my power tools are still functional, but I will be putting new cords on the Tiger saw, dewalt sander and Milwaukee circular saw this year, as well as replacing the lock bushing on my Bosch jigsaw.

The next purchase will be a new router and new router table to step up from the 30 year old crap I have, so I'll be gathering intel here for that purchase. Now that cordless tech has finally become rock solid I'll finally grab a new cordless circular saw and one of those jobsite blowers. My brother had the new Makita models down here and they were impressive. Not like that cordless dewalt I bought 20 years ago that you could actually stop the blade with a 2x4 the battery and motor were so weak.

That, and probably add a ton of new LED shop lights in the garage. My first project at home will be building new bookshelves using the fluted trim we had left over from our kitchen and bar cabinets down here, and installing new crown in all my rooms.

I'll probably wind up buying a new 16 ga finish nailer this year, even though the one I have is fine. It's just old and why not buy it a friend :)

Also, looking at a pin nailer finally and was NOT impressed with the cordless Makita. I don't know if we just got a crap tool down here because Makita is always rock solid, but this thing blew dog from moment one. It bent half the pins it shot, then started setting them to the point a half inch was exposed. Then finally it started doubling, so it's going back. I like the idea of a hoeless pin nailer, but maybe I'll still stick with air and get another PC or a Hitachi.

• Like 1

Well, the GF bought me a Husqvarna riding mower, so I guess the tractor is on hold. However, my Expedition blew a head gasket, and I think that may be above my skill level to fix. Local shop wants North of three grand to fix, so it's new used truck time for me. Grrr.

Edited by BK13
sausage-like fingers
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, BK13 said:

Well, the GF bought me a Husqvarna riding mower, so I guess the tractor is on hold. However, my Expedition blew a head gasket, and I think that may be above my skill level to fix. Local shop wants North of three grand to fix, so it's new used truck time for me. Grrr.

Toyota Tundra Crewmax.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2018 at 2:12 AM, ChrisK said:

Toyota Tundra Crewmax.

Mebbe. I've had a Toyota before. But the true crew cab is goofy looking, and I don't think you can get a 6.5" bed with it. I'm pretty much of a Ford guy anymore, so maybe an F150, maybe a Super Duty. 

14 hours ago, BK13 said:

Mebbe. I've had a Toyota before. But the true crew cab is goofy looking.

The mid-cycle refresh of the current generation Tundra has more standard rear doors now. I don't think they have the vertical handles anymore. I could be wrong though.