20V string trimmer mods

D W

I'm thinking about making a mesh filter to cover the vents on the motor. It could simply be a piece of mesh big enough to wrap over the whole top of the motor and secured with a rubber band.

I figure the mesh will still allow good airflow but stop any grass getting into the motor. I could easily take it off and clean it.

Can anyone see a reason not to do this?

I know Dewalt have Engineers, and I assume they thought it was OK for grass to get in there.

Could it have been an oversight? It would have been great to have something removable like the filters on the new brushless grinders.

Edited by D W
Changed title

• D W changed the title to Covering the 20V trimmer motor vents
On 12/11/2017 at 7:38 PM, D W said:

I'm thinking about making a mesh filter to cover the vents on the motor. It could simply be a piece of mesh big enough to wrap over the whole top of the motor and secured with a rubber band.

I figure the mesh will still allow good airflow but stop any grass getting into the motor. I could easily take it off and clean it.

Can anyone see a reason not to do this?

I know Dewalt have Engineers, and I assume they thought it was OK for grass to get in there.

Could it have been an oversight? It would have been great to have something removable like the filters on the new brushless grinders.

Why do you feel the need to do this? Having an issue with the grass?

31 minutes ago, Nordraw said:

Why do you feel the need to do this? Having an issue with the grass?

The manual says to clear the vents of grass before use. 

I haven't used it yet. 

I've changed the title of this thread from "covering the motor vents" to "trimmer mods". 

For those in the US with the small guard, can the string cutting blade simply be turned around to increase the swath? Is there room within the guard to have a custom blade that gives an even bigger swath than this? 

• 3 weeks later...

I ended up just finding the US style small guard on Ebay to give it a try. It has more room and will fit a 15" swath. 

What I've done is use the blade from the large guard and put it on the small one (they have the cutting edge on opposite sides). This adds half an inch to the string length on each side, taking the swath up to 14".

The photo below shows the original setup and differences in the blade mounting orientation and guard size. 

Update: performance is great. I don't notice any difference in power, if anything it feels slightly more powerful (I guess that's because the tip of the string is moving faster). I haven't used it enough to compare battery life but I figure it would be using more. It feels so much better to have that extra string length.

The small guard is absolutely useless! It must be the worst guard I've ever used. All it needed was to be a bit wider, like the large guard on the smallest side would be perfect. 

IMG_20180119_193801.jpg