12v Max Reciprocating Saw Opinions

fm2176

What are your opinions on the pivoting head reciprocating saw?  I know that it is rumored that DeWalt is discontinuing the 12v Max line, and the system is inarguably stagnant, but it this a decent tool?  I wanted the Porter Cable version but since I was late to the game buying into that system, DeWalt is a natural successor. 

Long story short, I've walked through the tool section at the PX every time I stop there.  Last year I noticed 12v max kits containing two batteries, the drill, and the saw (it's kind of sad that 12v max literally has ONE of each, especially when compared to M12).  These were priced at $179, and knowing the PX' peculiarities (I'll make a separate thread about them), I figured I could wait it out, and figured right.  I'll have to wait until after Christmas, but unless any of you have had really negative experiences, I'll likely pick one up.  Right now I have well over 10 batteries to power only the impact, screwdriver, lights, or one of the 12v/20v compatible accessories. 

What are your opinions on the pivoting head reciprocating saw?  I know that it is rumored that DeWalt is discontinuing the 12v Max line, and the system is inarguably stagnant, but it this a decent tool?  I wanted the Porter Cable version but since I was late to the game buying into that system, DeWalt is a natural successor. 

Long story short, I've walked through the tool section at the PX every time I stop there.  Last year I noticed 12v max kits containing two batteries, the drill, and the saw (it's kind of sad that 12v max literally has ONE of each, especially when compared to M12).  These were priced at $179, and knowing the PX' peculiarities (I'll make a separate thread about them), I figured I could wait it out, and figured right.  I'll have to wait until after Christmas, but unless any of you have had really negative experiences, I'll likely pick one up.  Right now I have well over 10 batteries to power only the impact, screwdriver, lights, or one of the 12v/20v compatible accessories. 
Loved mine until the day it was stolen out of my truck. Ate conduit and PVC all day, despite any age concerns. I feel you on the mixed emotions in 12v yellow, but I'd recommend it to anyone and do still plan to purchase it again in the near future. I've just had a shift from the specific technician and fab applications to rougher needs in framing, demo, and remodeling. Flexvolt and 20v brushed compact have me covered lol
  • Thanks 1

Tools in action had a Friday night tool fight with the 12v dewalt and the m12 fuel hackzall.  Typically in most tool fights the tools are so close that they recommend buying whatever platform you're in, but in this fight they said you would be better off just buying the m12 because it was that much better.  I personally have no experience with it just thought I would pass along the info and let you watch the video.  I know to me it would still be hard buy outside of a platform I already had.  

• Like 1

I have it ,it cuts ok for what it is ...if your only in Dewalt 12v then I’d say buy it...if you have any Milwaukee M12 batteries I’d get the m12 hacksall...the m12 line is fantastic. I’m a Dewalt guy and I own all the 12v,20v,60v Tools but I recently got into m12 because Dewalt just doesn’t have many 12v tools. .....

....also if your in the Dewalt 20v line the compact XR recip is nice, it does vibrate a little more then others but it cuts great...

• Like 1

I don't currently own any M12 batteries, but could get the similarly shaped Bosch.  Right now the price for this 12v Max kit is $90, while Amazon sells the saw with one battery and charger for $143.  I think I'll stop back in next month and see how many are left.  If there are only a few I might get one; if it looks like none have sold I'll hold off for a while in hopes of getting one for $45 or so.

2 hours ago, Jronman said:

@fm2176 there is a rebate going on where if you buy an m12 jacket you get a free battery. Might be worth a try?

Depends on how long the rebate goes on.  With holiday travel plans, my disposable income in non-existent until January.  I've considered checking out the Milwaukee jackets, and my move back to the DC area next year would certainly justify one, at least more than Georgia or Louisiana.

The biggest problem with the Milwaukee heated jackets are that they'd clash with my DeWalt safety footwear.  😀

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...