Ryobi's new circular saw.

Wesley S.

Ever since the days of the original Skilsaw most full size circular saws (7-1/4") have been right handed (blade right) and most compact circular saws (6-1/2") have been left handed (blade left). The Ryobe is a bit odd in that its full size saw is set up left handed. As a right handed person and after many decades of using right hand full size circular saws I think I'd find it awkward to use a left hand full size saw. You'll want to think about whether or not that would bother you. As to the Ryobe platform: it has many tools available and a fair reputation within its price range. The Ryobe line is owned by the corporation that also owns Milwaukee. Ryobe's marketing is aimed at the homeowner as opposed to the professional. My take on the brand is that it's pretty good for occasional use. Personally I'm not fond of the chartreuse safety green color, but that's just me... 

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

If this is the new brushless model, I saw some YouTube review or another that showed it can be a bit more prone to cutting out (ie being overloaded such that protection circuitry kills the motor) than many of the pricier “prosumer” companies. Though they also noted you can generally still go a little gentle on it and get perfectly adquate use out of it.

Not necessarily applicable to that review but I see those online things and think some get just a little too caught up in the torture test aspects of it. What size of automotive bolts an impact driver can pull just doesn’t matter when all you’re going to do with it is drive 2” screws and maybe multiple speeds with a lot of modulation will do a lot more for you.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/21/2017 at 12:10 AM, Arkay said:

As a right handed person and after many decades of using right hand full size circular saws I think I'd find it awkward to use a left hand full size saw. You'll want to think about whether or not that would bother you.

I don't see that the size of the blade comes into it at all. As a younger (righ-handed) person who's done more cutting with cordless than corded, I prefer blade left. I would prefer all saws, regardless of size, blade left.