MobileLock

jtkendall

Just saw this pop up on Facebook and hadn’t seen it posted here. A GPS and alarm for trailers and equipment from Dewalt. It looks pretty useful. I’d like to see the same basic idea in a smaller size for tools instead of the bluetooth trackers.

I just picked on up for my trailer, as well as the Bluetooth motion sensor. It is a really nice unit and should help with both someone stealing the entire trailer, as well as breaking into it. You can program an automatic arm/disarm schedule so you don’t even have to think about it. 

The major flaw I’ve found so far is the lack in an Apple/Android app. This is ridiculous when Dewalt has an app that will let you control their work light. I’m not an “app guy” but this is one I would use, especially since it doesn’t display well or a phone or iPad. You can text it to arm and disarm it, but I don’t want to have to go to the website and login to see the battery level. They really need to fix this. 

I have it set up with a 10 second audible alarm and have the unit hidden. Hopefully this would scare anyone off that breaks into the trailer, but not let them be able to locate the unit and smash or remove it. 

The only other improvement I’d like to see is some sort of optional camera that can integrate with it. If somebody breaks in and takes the tools before you can get there, but leaves the trailer, a camera would be helpful as the alarm/tracking won’t do much for you. 

I bought 4 of the Bluetooth tracking tags to put on higher value large tools to help with recovery if things are taken out of the trailer. I think for the Bluetooth tracking to be really useful, it needs to be an open source design where when an item is reported stolen, anyone that has Bluetooth running nearby can be used to send you its location. 

As as it is now, I believe if you have a Dewalt tag and someone using the Milwaukee tags, or the Trackr or Tile systems is right by it, it won’t help you. If you report a miter saw with a tag on it stolen and it’s in the back of someone’s truck, it needs to give you the location when a girl listening to Bluetooth radio pulls up next to it at the light. 

GPS tracking units for individual tools haven’t come down in price enough yet to make it worthwhile. I’m not going to pay $220 plus $20/month to monitor a $400 miter saw. You can use the Mobile Lock in a gang box or wherever you want though as it has its own battery and magnetic mount. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Would be really useful if it had a automatic arm/disarm proximity range to your mobile phone IMO. Without this it's not that useful to me. 

I have mine set to automatically disarm every morning and arm every evening. If you wanted to arm it on the job while you go to lunch, or forget to disarm it before going in at night, you can just text it from your phone. 

The automatic phone proximity sensor would allow someone to break in at night while parked in your driveway, not something I’d want. However, since it has a Bluetooth sensor as well as receives cell signal, somebody that is a tech junkie should be able to hack it to do that fairly easily. 

@Jpgwoodworking those are some great ideas. I like the idea about anyone with bluetooth being able to send location of a tag, tick, etc. Doesn't seem very useful if the average guy might have a competitor bluetooth tracker app or no app at all. To have competitors apps work would take a software update I would guess but for any device with bluetooth to work would take more work I would think. I could easily see the tool connect app supporting the gps alarm. Would be a simple software update I would think. The app already has tracking features so adding a gps device shouldn't be too difficult.

19 minutes ago, Jronman said:

@Jpgwoodworking those are some great ideas. I like the idea about anyone with bluetooth being able to send location of a tag, tick, etc. Doesn't seem very useful if the average guy might have a competitor bluetooth tracker app or no app at all. To have competitors apps work would take a software update I would guess but for any device with bluetooth to work would take more work I would think. I could easily see the tool connect app supporting the gps alarm. Would be a simple software update I would think. The app already has tracking features so adding a gps device shouldn't be too difficult.

Yeah, I’ve debated whether or not it is even worth using the Dewalt Bluetooth tracking tags. I realize they aren’t really designed for theft recovery, it’s more for tracking where your equipment was left, but I’m not going to put a tag on every ladder, sawhorse, etc, that I own. I never leave my higher dollar tools on jobs unless they are locked in the garage or basement and the house is occupied. 

I can see them being useful for stuff like “I can’t remember whether I left my big shop vac on the demo job where I’ll need it today, or took it back to my shop so I need to swing by and get it on the way,” but at $20 each every 3 years it would be expensive to tag a bunch of tools. 

I debated using the Track’r or Tile tags instead of the tool company ones since I’m sure they have more users, but my thought is that those people aren’t likely to end up in close proximity to stolen tools. The Home Depot and local lumberyard parking lots, as well as pawn shops, are the most likely places for someone else using the app to ping your stolen tools, or come into the 100’ range again yourself. 

The Milwaukee ones may also have more users, and have replaceable batteries, but a 1yr life compared to 3yrs with Dewalt. As the Bluetooth tracking becomes more popular, there is a good chance stolen tools could show up in a year or two down the road. 

4 minutes ago, Jronman said:

I would have to agree Milwaukee tick has been on the market longer than tags. Will the companies ever work together on cross compatibility support? I'm not sure.

Never 

They are direct competitors trying to maximize their share of the market.

Another thing on Bluetooth

It kills you battery life on your phone so most people don't leave their Bluetooth on unless they are using it. Which kills your chances of getting a Ping even worse.

• Like 2