Cordless or Corded

firefighter4187

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It depends on the tool. Though things are 100 times better than they were a few years ago, there are still some tools in which cordless versions just aren't viable for all day use unless you have batteries coming out your ass. For most handheld tools cordless is the way to go. Drills, drivers, impacts, and stuff like that it's no contest. Jig, circular, and recip saws, have just in the last couple of years became a viable option without a cord. I haven't gotten to use a 4.0ah pack yet, but I think it's possible they have moved beyond the cord. Some of the manufacturers have started toying with the idea of cordless stationary tools (miter saws come to mind) , but for my money we're still at least a couple generations off from them really being viable in a cordless version.  

I am in agreement with Conductor 100% as well as Crazyandy. If given the choice of one or the other I will go cordless but the truth is you really need the abilities of both. My M18 saw is awesome. But sometimes you gotta pull out the big gun, Makita 7-1/4" Hypoid saw. So a combination of both is always the way to go! I am not so sure of cordless sanders for instance (except my M12 multi tool) and will always pick an AC version!

Makita announced a cordless random orbital sander just a couple months ago. They've had it in Japan for a couple years now. I'd LOVE to try it, but I can't see it supplanting corded models as sanding (at least for me) is usually an extended affair.

You know, that Makita looks pretty good in theory and certainly has a place when working outdoors but I am curious if you could really get anything serious done with it?

I just looked it up and it does look good but i agree, how much you can really sand with that thing.

Actually they do. It just seems that cordless might not cut the grade. When I'm using the tool I normally use it for a while and outside of several batteries I'm not sure it is viable. It would be great if Dan and Eric got one. Plus there is always the humor level with the video!

I have the ryobi one+ orbital and mouse type sanders they were reasonable to buy because I had the string trimmer and the hedge trimmers. Most of the real tools i moved to Milwaukee though.

I have a Ryobi router that's actually made in the USA. I have an 8" bench grinder as well that's been really good so far.

I have a Ryobi router that's actually made in the USA. I have an 8" bench grinder as well that's been really good so far.

How old is it? It's probably before TTI started using the ryobi brand and made it an intro diy brand.

I am not a huge cordless ryobi fan but i do like their corded tools like their orbital sander and jig saw

The ryobi 18 volt garden tools are really good I have small lot and I replaced all my 2 cycle tools with cordless ryobi tools. I went through so may trimmer powerheads it made me sick. The only gas tools are my 4 cycle lawnmower edger and snowblower it makes everything so much simpler.

DR99, now that is interesting. I was really curious how those Ryobi's were. I've got a B&D branch trimmer and an Echo weed wacker, I love them but my lot is .13 of an acre. I was curious if those would fit my needs. I'm more interested in the branch trimmer as I bought my Echo two years ago. How many batteries do you go through during yard clean up day?

You know Crazyandy, I had the Ryobi jig saw and HATED IT!!!! I had the one with the blade rotated on the top of the handle. The base kept moving on me and the blade rotated was always askew. I talked to my Dad and he told me to get the Bosch, which I did and outside of the weird blade change mechanism I absolutely love the tool. Currently my only Ryobi power tool is the contractor table saw. I like it, for the price it cannot be beat and it definitely meets my needs. The dust collection sucks, actually it blows (hahaha) kind of like Obama's health care plan (sucks then blows). As far as cordless Ryobi, my dad has a couple of their tools, I'm not familiar with them but they seem decent enough.

No, the B&D is an older hedge trimmer that ive had for about 14 years. The tool works great. Prior to my Echo weed whacker, I had the B&D Grass Hog. Absolute piece of Chinese garbage. I had one for a month and the electric motor blew. Got a replacement, 2 months, motor blew. Garbage! My B&D hedge trimmer, old, dull but works and works well. And when I use my outdoor tools, I treat them like my power tools and my truck and my cruiser. Clean clean clean. My lawn is neat and clear of debris. I use the weed wacker for light duty and blew two of them! So I am NOT impressed!

Archived