Welcome

I've always considered this forum as the Mayberry of tool forums. Everyone knows everyone. We know about each other and everyone gets along. I've been a Tool Junkie all my life. I grew up with Dewalt, but I was really a Milwaukee guy at heart. Hand tools were my first love and I'm especially fond of Proto and Blackhawk. I write some reviews under my street name and I'm always up for a conversation on tool related history. I'm a Railroad Conductor by trade, but I now hold an elected union position and work in an office.

I don't know where you live, but all the Nations Railroads are getting ready to start installing new signal/train control systems. Billions will be spent and there will likely be a good deal of hiring for Signal Maintainers and such. I assume you live out west, so you might watch the Union Pacific and BNSF websites for job postings. They're good paying, union, jobs and someone with an electronics background would be a prime candidate. I don't aim to stick my nose in your personal affairs, but most people never think to look at the Railroad for Electronics related jobs.

Hey Conductor,  I just wanted to thank you again for the job ideas at Union Pacific and BNSF.  I have been looking but the jobs are either in LA or further way. I'm still looking.  Thanks again.

• 1 month later...

Hello! My name is Ethan and I'm from the great state of Kansas! I enjoy tinkering with just about anything from antique tractors to household DIY projects. I am currently a college student working on my last semester to become a P.E. teacher. I like my DeWalts, Kobalt, and Klien hand tools.

I have a wrench and socket set that was US made. The rest is the Taiwan stuff. Which has really improved in quality.

Taiwan has drastically improved in quality over the last decade or so. Nothing beats the feel of a piece of good old American iron in your hand though.

Welcome to the forum!

Hi all.

Been watching TIA and reading this forum for a while, so decided its time to join. Besides, I haven't seen enough representation for the Aussies on here.

Bit of a cordless fanatic of late. Got my foot in DeWalt and Bosch Blue camps, though I'm only a weekend warrior with no need for such quantity or quality of tools! Maybe this is the right place to admit my addiction :)

P.S. despite owning the Bosch Destroyer, dcd985 and 10.8V drill (we call it by it's proper voltage down here ;)), I'm super temped to import the new brushless dcd790! such a sweet looking drill and slim 2.0Ah batts! Can't get em in Oz yet :(

Hey everyone, thanks for the warm welcome!

Aus seem to have a very wide selection of trade tool brands. I would say the popular tools are Makita, Milwaukee, Bosch and Dewalt. But Hitachi, Metabo and Panasonic are also widely available. If you look in the right places even HIlti and Festool etc aren't hard to find.

I'd love to play around with some Milwaukee and Metabo, but having 2 platforms is probably already a bit grand.

ETS7345: i see the dcd790 is your favourite tool. does it have enough torque for most tasks (say even auger bits up to 25mm)?

Hey everyone, thanks for the warm welcome!

Aus seem to have a very wide selection of trade tool brands. I would say the popular tools are Makita, Milwaukee, Bosch and Dewalt. But Hitachi, Metabo and Panasonic are also widely available. If you look in the right places even HIlti and Festool etc aren't hard to find.

I'd love to play around with some Milwaukee and Metabo, but having 2 platforms is probably already a bit grand.

ETS7345: i see the dcd790 is your favourite tool. does it have enough torque for most tasks (say even auger bits up to 25mm)?

It has all the torque that I need. I use it for building furniture for the most part. But from what I have seen online it can handle just about anything you throw at it minus masonry work of course.

thanks :) i just ordered a 2.0ah kit with the brushless impact and 790 on ebay! now for the 2 week wait! now to figure out what current drill(s) to offload...

Congrats on the new drill. Nothing like knowing there's an awesome new tool on a truck somewhere bound for your house.

Congrats on the new drill. Nothing like knowing there's an awesome new tool on a truck somewhere bound for your house.

You can say that again, Speaking of shipping things, I am not going to freight my hf tool box...I am assuming they can load it into a pickup some how with a fork lift?