Wood working tools you didn't know how you lived without

BMack37

This isn't really for big tools such as planers, joiners, table saws, etc.

This thread is about little hand tools, accessories, layout tools. Stuff that makes those big tools easier to use, make your projects easy to finish and/or improve results. I'd prefer to skip the traditional clamps because we all know how useful clamps are but could include specialty clamps, maybe dovetail clamps. Safety is also more than welcome, need to keep those digits!

Tips and tricks also welcome because, why not?!

BUT this is TiA, we don't need guidelines, no one is going to complain if you post something you thought classified for this thread!

• Like 1

Oddball tips that I've acquired:

Packing clear tape over a piece of wood is a great base for glue-ups, wood glue doesn't stick. I use this method with my jawhorse (which I use as a makeshift woodworker's vice.

HF aluminum clamps, cut a filler piece of pine to slide into the clamp. It makes the clamp significantly stronger.

Blue painters tape and double sided tape. Using them together is a third great thing. Put blue painters tape down the. The double sided tape on top of it. The surface won't get harmed from the double sided tape.

Hand planes. Oh man are these things useful. A small apron or block plane is great to chamfer or round over an edge. They also are great for panel glue ups where they don't exactly line up. Plane the top part away. Sanding will normally leave a divot where the plane won't.

Card scraper. Get one. Just do it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rrich1 said:

Blue painters tape and double sided tape. Using them together is a third great thing. Put blue painters tape down the. The double sided tape on top of it. The surface won't get harmed from the double sided tape.

Hand planes. Oh man are these things useful. A small apron or block plane is great to chamfer or round over an edge. They also are great for panel glue ups where they don't exactly line up. Plane the top part away. Sanding will normally leave a divot where the plane won't.

Card scraper. Get one. Just do it.

I love the painters tape and double sided tape idea, soo simple and obvious but never thought of it!

I need to get myself some hand planes, I need to do a lot of research on them because I'm soo green on the subject. You, Chris, khariV and the Kendalls have me drooling over planes!

For a card scraper I use old gift/store credit cards.

• Like 1

I love the painters tape and double sided tape idea, soo simple and obvious but never thought of it!

I need to get myself some hand planes, I need to do a lot of research on them because I'm soo green on the subject. You, Chris, khariV and the Kendalls have me drooling over planes!

For a card scraper I use old gift/store credit cards.
Are you using the gift cards like this?

11 hours ago, rrich1 said:

Are you using the gift cards like this?

Oh, I thought it was a scraper for glue which is really helpful.

That's definitely interesting, I'll have to get myself one of those, thanks! What brand do you have? I see Crown is made in Sheffield and Bahco has some from Portugal and Sweden.

17 minutes ago, BMack37 said:

Oh, I thought it was a scraper for glue which is really helpful.

That's definitely interesting, I'll have to get myself one of those, thanks! What brand do you have? I see Crown is made in Sheffield and Bahco has some from Portugal and Sweden.

i have these. Comes in a two pack. a thicker one and a thinner one. They went over how to put a hook on them at the hand tool event. It is really easy and actually takes very little time. In the demonstration he could go from no hook to a hook in probably 30 seconds. And that was with explaining it. 

https://www.lie-nielsen.com/product/handscrapers/handscrapers-hand-scraper-set-?node=4181

• Like 1

22 hours ago, rrich1 said:

i have these. Comes in a two pack. a thicker one and a thinner one. They went over how to put a hook on them at the hand tool event. It is really easy and actually takes very little time. In the demonstration he could go from no hook to a hook in probably 30 seconds. And that was with explaining it. 

https://www.lie-nielsen.com/product/handscrapers/handscrapers-hand-scraper-set-?node=4181

Finally! Something from LN that I can afford!

Did you see that Jeff Mack has been recommending the Bahco utility scraper?

Finally! Something from LN that I can afford!

Did you see that Jeff Mack has been recommending the Bahco utility scraper?

Ha! I know what you mean. I really want to get their chisels next.

Ya I have been seeing that. Looks really nice.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, rrich1 said:

Ha! I know what you mean. I really want to get their chisels next.

Ya I have been seeing that. Looks really nice.

Their site gets expensive quick. I like my Marples but I'm sure there is soo much better out there. I do really need a hand plane, it's becoming a real issue working without one. I haven't been able to find something vintage locally and the good planes are more expensive than some of my power tools. 

Their site gets expensive quick. I like my Marples but I'm sure there is soo much better out there. I do really need a hand plane, it's becoming a real issue working without one. I haven't been able to find something vintage locally and the good planes are more expensive than some of my power tools. 

Look at Lee valley veritas as well. Their planes are cheaper than LN. Veritas are as good if not better than LN. LN is very traditional while veritas makes improvements to the original designs and starts from scratch.

I am contemplating selling my record planes though. I'll have to mull it over. I have a 4,5, and 7.

• Like 1

Veritas is where I’m putting my money, their tools seem to be a better value for my money, plus I’m not attached to the traditional plane styles so I see no reason to pay a higher price for them. Veritas also has better prices on other items like saws. A pair of carcass saws (rip and crosscut) is $139 from LV, LN has a single carcass saw (crosscut only) for $140. LN also seems to use some proprietary fasteners and want you to buy a $30 screwdriver.

The standard #4 bench plane is $232 at LV and $300 at LN ($350 of you want bronze). The LV has the PM-V11 blade and the LN has an A2 blade; replacement A2 blades are similarly priced on both sites. The PM-V11 replacement blade from LV costs more, however if taken care of the PM-V11 should outlast the A2 meaning less replacements over the plane’s lifetime.

• Like 2

I will give the nod to LN on their regular plane lateral/forward adjustment. The veritas uses a different style and isn't as easy as the LN/Stanley style.

I have a veritas apron plane, cabinet scraper, and dovetail saw. All awesome tools. I will be picking and choosing my planes between LN and veritas. Veritas has a major lead on the shoulder planes. They made significant improvements on them and are much more manageable in the hands.

With the wood whisperer guild discount for LN it brings the pricing closer to veritas making decisions harder lol.

Matt Estlea has put out some awesome comparison videos between LN and veritas including bench planes, chisels, router planes.

• Like 1

Yup, mine is pretty sweet too. I’ve got three Blue Spruce chisels on the way plus another set of Lie Nielsen scrapers and a burnished on the way. They should all be here on Monday. Still eating on my Jack Rabbet from LN, they said another three weeks of production before they ship ☹️  It’s a phenomenal plane but the guy was telling me they don’t sell very many so don’t keep many in stock. This Christmas everybody bought the Jack Rabbet apparently so Chris waits. It’ll be nice when I’m building my Nicholson. I met with my Neurosurgeons this week and got the approval to go back to being a sergeant and the ability to lift my Son FINALLY! So I can increase my exercise now and that will include some shop time 😄😇🙏👍🤙😜😎 Looks like ill be back to my day job in just a couple of quick weeks! 🏎🚓

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rrich1 said:

Matt Estlea has put out some awesome comparison videos between LN and veritas including bench planes, chisels, router planes.

I'll have to watch them. I actually just came across him the other day when trying to find a video on building a plane till. Didn't find a good plane till video, but found his "What Planes Do You Need?" video, the one on saws, and the one on chisels. I'm watching through his Roubo build now.

• Like 1

Yup, mine is pretty sweet too. I’ve got three Blue Spruce chisels on the way plus another set of Lie Nielsen scrapers and a burnished on the way. They should all be here on Monday. Still eating on my Jack Rabbet from LN, they said another three weeks of production before they ship [emoji852]️  It’s a phenomenal plane but the guy was telling me they don’t sell very many so don’t keep many in stock. This Christmas everybody bought the Jack Rabbet apparently so Chris waits. It’ll be nice when I’m building my Nicholson. I met with my Neurosurgeons this week and got the approval to go back to being a sergeant and the ability to lift my Son FINALLY! So I can increase my exercise now and that will include some shop time [emoji1][emoji56][emoji120][emoji106]🤙[emoji12][emoji41] Looks like ill be back to my day job in just a couple of quick weeks! [emoji964][emoji600]
Awesome to hear! Id hate not being able to pick my kids up. My good work news is I have weekends off this year. We did shift sign up in December and I managed to get the same shift 3-11p but weekends off. Never had weekends off since I've had a job so it's kinda weird.

I really liked the LN honing guide.

What use will you have for the carriage plane?

Love to see your thoughts on the blue spruce chisels.

• Like 1

I'll have to watch them. I actually just came across him the other day when trying to find a video on building a plane till. Didn't find a good plane till video, but found his "What Planes Do You Need?" video, the one on saws, and the one on chisels. I'm watching through his Roubo build now.
I found him probably six or so months ago. Really good editing style. His how to and comparison videos are really well done and gives good solid woodworker insight about why something is better or not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jtkendall said:

Try his sharpening video... good stuff

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, rrich1 said:

Awesome to hear! Id hate not being able to pick my kids up. My good work news is I have weekends off this year. We did shift sign up in December and I managed to get the same shift 3-11p but weekends off. Never had weekends off since I've had a job so it's kinda weird.

I really liked the LN honing guide.

What use will you have for the carriage plane?

Love to see your thoughts on the blue spruce chisels.

I’ve got the Veritas and everybody says the LN is better. Grrrrr.

That Rabbet plane will do some heavy tenon work for me and I might get a second blade and camber the corners and use it as an extra large smoother. 

Not holding my little bit for over a month SUCKED. But this weekend we watched some tv and he crawled up in my lap for a hug. Now I can pick the squirt up all day long though truthfully I need to start working out, it’s amazing how weak I still am. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jtkendall said:

Sorry forgot to attach the link!

• Like 1