TD171D

The.Handyman

Simply put, B-E-A-Utiful.

Straight from Japan, the Makita TD171D Impact Driver. This is the newest impact from Makita and I am very impressed. This thing screams precision! The nicest impact driver I have yet to grasp in my mortal hands.

3,600 max RPM

3,800 max IPM

New Dual LEDs give excellent illumination. The slightest trigger press turns the LEDs on.

New heavy duty dual ball bearing setup at the chuck to remove chuck/bit wobble. A big improvement over the TD170 impact.

New 'mode shift' button above the trigger to switch between the 4 speed modes without removing your hand from the impact.

4 modes for driver control:

1) Lumber Mode (1800 rpm)- Start trigger "slowly" with trigger fully open, tighten at a stroke with automatic speed change "fastest". 2) Bolt mode (3600 rpm)- In forward rotation, the trigger turns ON fastest instantaneously, and in reverse rotation automatically stops when the nut loosens

3) Thick plate mode (2900 rpm)- Reduces screw head skipping / coming out

4) Thin plate mode (3600 rpm)- After screw penetration, detects blow and stops automatically

Mode memory function: You can register one mode you use frequently. Select your favorite mode and register at the same time by pressing the button at hand and the batting button. Switch the mode you used and the registered mode quickly by pressing the hand button!

More power and shorter than the TD170 impact.

Specs:

180 Nm (1593 in/lbs) (175 Nm for TD170)

116 mm length (4.57 in) (117 mm for TD170)

RPM: 1100, 2100, 3200, 3600

IPM: 1100, 2600, 3600, 3800

Made in Japanc23d6300f58dc184bd892826220f8c69.jpg6379319c48ff1dc803abc2d1bdfd49dc.jpg536881e8bb70f0b82606d1722f258870.jpge9bbd347d0e554f1b20f4822a6a87e6b.jpg63ac82d96bf83476430933828b5bd0ee.jpg64408f6aacf4fa16624a3fa9136f93ad.jpg6e8a98a62f4bb5da58ef6301ad6027ab.jpg

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Framer joe said:

Extremely compact...so it’s for light to med use with 1600 inlbs.? It looks very comfortable.....

No reason for it to be limited to light to medium use. My td170 would outperform any other impact driver and it had 1500 inlbs. Granted that was when the competition was the 885 and the second gen fuel.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Framer joe said:

the 887 rules supreme....watch impact shootouts , like the “ skill builder” it even beats the triple hammer hitachi.

Sometimes it does rule supreme but not all the big contenders were there like the normal Milwaukee impact or the TD171. Milwaukee is faster than DeWALT in lags but DeWALT is faster with smaller fasteners.

I find the xdt170 and the dewalt 887 very close. The main difference is the makita is smoother(less vibration), less wiggle in the chuck, and quieter. For this it just feels better in hand. Also Makita battery fits snugger in impact, less wiggle and batteries charge faster. I also find Dewalts cold weather performance to lag behind others. 

10 hours ago, glass said:

Makita battery fits snugger in impact, less wiggle

Agree. I love those little round white rubber things. Great design, simple and effective. All my Dewalt tools rattle and my TD170 doesn't.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Jronman said:

The DeWALT omt has rubber in the battery housing that helps.

Ahh, I have that tool and forgot about that. Mine doesn't work too well but its definitely better than the others. The string trimmer is my worst for rattle.

I also really like the steps Makita goes to reducing vibration. And they’re very tempered, intelligent steps, nothing overboard or poorly thought-out. Those little rubber nubs on everything do great. Then the rubber suspension gasket they have on their heavy impact wrench and OMT. Massive benefit without being intrusive in terms of form/function at all. I was really trying to avoid buying that OMT too...so “full-size” in comparison to all their other cordless tools, but the vibration damping ended up clinching it for me.

16 hours ago, ToolBane said:

I also really like the steps Makita goes to reducing vibration. And they’re very tempered, intelligent steps, nothing overboard or poorly thought-out. Those little rubber nubs on everything do great. Then the rubber suspension gasket they have on their heavy impact wrench and OMT. Massive benefit without being intrusive in terms of form/function at all. I was really trying to avoid buying that OMT too...so “full-size” in comparison to all their other cordless tools, but the vibration damping ended up clinching it for me.

Very true. I said in another thread that there's more to impact drivers than torque. Makita seems to be hanging around the 170-180 NM mark and seems to be improving the driver for what it is.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
On 2/13/2018 at 10:14 PM, The.Handyman said:

4 modes for driver control:

1) Lumber Mode (1800 rpm)- Start trigger "slowly" with trigger fully open, tighten at a stroke with automatic speed change "fastest". 2) Bolt mode (3600 rpm)- In forward rotation, the trigger turns ON fastest instantaneously, and in reverse rotation automatically stops when the nut loosens

3) Thick plate mode (2900 rpm)- Reduces screw head skipping / coming out

4) Thin plate mode (3600 rpm)- After screw penetration, detects blow and stops automatically

Mode memory function: You can register one mode you use frequently. Select your favorite mode and register at the same time by pressing the button at hand and the batting button. Switch the mode you used and the registered mode quickly by pressing the hand button!

So wait, do these 4 modes replace the old 4 modes of max, hard, medium, and soft? If they don’t, there’s a total of 8 modes, plus assist and tek? How do you use all those modes together? Or if those new modes do replace the old modes (max through soft), then there is just 4 modes in the new impact,  plus assist and tek?

I’m a little confused.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/13/2018 at 2:37 PM, glassman3333 said:

So wait, do these 4 modes replace the old 4 modes of max, hard, medium, and soft? If they don’t, there’s a total of 8 modes, plus assist and tek? How do you use all those modes together? Or if those new modes do replace the old modes (max through soft), then there is just 4 modes in the new impact,  plus assist and tek?

I’m a little confused.

The way I understood it was there are 4 speed modes then 4 specialty modes.