Ineffective hammerdrilling

Greg J.

I have been using the DeWalt DC725 1/2" Cordless Hammerdrill/Drill Driver to drill holes into poured concrete with 1/8" and 3/16" DeWalt masonry bits. I hadn't ever drilled into concrete before. It is taking me a good 10 minutes to drill one hole 1 1/4" deep (1/8" bit) or 2" deep (3/6" bit). Sometimes it takes less and sometimes more time than that. I have tried applying the drill with various pressure and have settled on "moderate" pressure.

After drilling more than a dozen of these I realized I had many more to do and bought a DCD950 XRP 1/2" Cordless Drill/river/Hammerdrill. (I was under the mistaken[?] impression that an impact driver would be better than the DC725, and the DCD950 would be even better than that for drilling concrete.) It turns out that the DCD950 is not drilling any faster. This is with a brand new DeWalt DW5221 Rock Carbide Hammer Drill Bit. At the moment I am planning to return the DCD950, but I have no idea what to do. I can't afford much more than a $150 tool.

Any idea why I am experiencing such poor performance? --And how to speed it up?

I was just going to say that a corded reconditioned sds rotary hammer might be a good option,  I picked one up a couple years ago and it looked and ran like new.  Its been a few years since I've used a dcd950 to drill into concrete but something doesn't seem right for a 3/16" or 1/8" bit to take 10 minutes to drill that deep.  Those size bits really shouldn't be that hard even for a hammer drill,  must be some old hard concrete. 

you may have problems trying to find a 1/8 inch sds rotary hammer bit, the smallest I've seen are 5/32. while a rotary hammer 

is the preferred tool for drilling concrete, a hammerdrill should be able to drill 1/8 and 3/16 holes. I would try a new bit. I've had success

with the bosch blue granite. you'll probably only get a couple holes per bit, 6 max, so keep that in mind.

The rotary hammer drill is far superior. I have a Dewalt DCD996 but only use it in a pinch. If I know ahead of time I'm drilling concrete, the rotary hammer drill is on the truck.  I have the Bosch RHH 181 cordless as well as a corded one. On new construction sites often there is no power and I can drill all the 1/2" holes I want with the cordless one. Typically drill about 30 and having a couple charged 4.0 batteries has never been an issue. Prior to buying the corded drill in about 2005, I used a corded hammer drill. The chuck was always working it's way loose and it took way to long to drill the 1/2" holes. With the SDS rotary hammer drill the bits won't come loose and it powers through concrete with 1/2" and 5/8" bits. I don't think Dewalt had a comparable SDS 20V brushless rotary drill when I bought the Bosch. They do now. The difference is night and day.

Whilst everyone is correct that an SDS unit is MUCH better, at those sizes, any modern hammer drill driver should also be fine for a reasonable number of holes.

I've done plenty of 1/4", 5/16" and 3/8" holes with regular hammer drill drivers. Dewalt current have the best hammer drill drivers, being the DCD796 (compact) and the DCD996 (premium). If you don't want to buy these latest Dewalt units, I'd recommend you choose between the Milwaukee hammer drills.

Here is a couple of our comparisons showing just that :

• Like 1

SDS all the way for concrete, the job's done in seconds and your ears don't bleed! Even the awful Ryobi sds will put small fixing holes in concrete, and that machine's woefully under-powered! 

Ideally you want above 2 joules of impact energy.

On 01/03/2018 at 5:12 PM, Mordekyle said:

I can't stomach a 20 minute video.

Did they drill concrete or just wood?

lol. it's interesting though! 

we drilled concrete and timber, and drove large screws.

• Like 1

I have and use a DCD985 for poking small holes in concrete, is it fun... Hell no, but it works well enough.  When I have a lot of holes to make I barow my uncle's Bosch mini jackhammering roto smashing SDS beast(FYI everyone needs an uncle Bob!).

• Haha 1