DCD791 rattle noise after depressing then releasing the triger

betamaxman

Has in the title.

Just purchased the DCK283D2 kit and the drill makes a horrible rattle sound when the trigger is released. This of course is with nothing in the chuck and the drill not being used but I do not hear this with my other dewalt drills a dcd777 and dcd 780. The chuck spins in and out after repeating this multiple times. I know this is not how to use a drill but after seeing this in some youtube videos I thought I would ask advise before deciding to return it or not.

Thanks in advance.

5 hours ago, Jronman said:

@betamaxman the chuck spinning in/out might be centripetal/rotational forces interacting with the chuck? Also the rattle noise might be the brake? When the trigger is let go you will hear a noise and the chuck will stop fairly quickly. I hope this helps.

2 hours ago, framer said:

does it do it with the chuck tight?  

Yes I am thinking it is to do with the brake, and yes it does it with a bit in the chuck and the chuck tight. It does stop but not abruptly and it is more present in number 2 speed, I also notice that after four or five trigger depresses the speed drops to where nothing happens at all when the trigger is depressed, then after a few seconds this cycle starts over. This is present in number 1 speed as well as number 2. There is a good deal of wobble as well. Thinking could the chuck be lose on the drill, the screw inside is a torx I think? Will check that out later, hopping that isn't a warranty voiding thing. Or perhaps the drill is supposed to behave this way, as the motor isn't getting hot or anything? Also this is not drilling into anything but just into the air, will find a chunk of 2 by something somewhere and give drilling some holes into that a try.

Thanks again.

Sorry, 'egg on my face' the speed variance was just the battery I think as it doesn't do it with my other batteries. Didn't charge them as the I thought the fuel gauge said full but it was just barely charged. In my defense this is my first dealing with batteries with a charge gauge. Anyway the rattle is still there but starting to think it is common with this drill model.

• 4 years later...