Garage makeover

tugnut1

Hey guys, 

I just started a garage makeover project.  

We've lived in this house for the last 11 years, and I never properly set up the garage.  It was fist a dumping ground of stuff until we got moved in.  After that, I just tried to put things in there to fit instead of thinking functional.  Ever since then, I've been coming up with ideas to increase storage, but never made it functional (adding workbenches and storage cabinets.  

I've finally had enough of that.  Yesterday, I started taking everything out of the garage.  I'm going to start over from scratch.

Here is my idea.

1. remove everything including all benches and cabinets
  2. patch all of the holes and damaged plaster.
  3. paint entire garage
  4. install a new flooring.  
  5. build new workbenches
  6. build new upper cabinets 
  7. build an 8" by 8" storage closet
  8. install new lights

I'll share some pictures when I get them.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Jronman said:

@tugnut1 Does the plaster have Asbestos?

Wow!  I never thought to check.  I would get it checked, but i never thought about it and the painting portion is done.  I will try to get progress pictures up here in the next couple days.  

52 minutes ago, tugnut1 said:

Wow!  I never thought to check.  I would get it checked, but i never thought about it and the painting portion is done.  I will try to get progress pictures up here in the next couple days.  

I didn't know old plaster had Asbestos until about 2 months ago.  Your probably good if it was put in 2000's or later. 

Can wait to see the garage. If it is anything like your woodworking then I am sure it will be excellent.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2018 at 8:49 AM, Jronman said:

I didn't know old plaster had Asbestos until about 2 months ago.  Your probably good if it was put in 2000's or later. 

Can wait to see the garage. If it is anything like your woodworking then I am sure it will be excellent.

The house was built in 1960, so I am sure there is a good chance it had asbestos.  

I'm trying to take extra care in this garage facelift.  I want to do it right the first time and not have to redo it for many years.

• 2 months later...

Hey everyone.  Sorry I haven't added to this in quite a while.  Summer got super busy and the garage is about half finished. I have an 8 foot table that I've started and need to finish in the next couple weeks.  After that, I'm all in on the garage project.

One update I will share though.  The 8-foot by 8-foot storage cabinet had to be cut down to a smaller width.  I forgot to look up when I was making them.  I have an attic access ladder that when dropped down into place landed right in the cabinet.  Needless to say, there was quite a bit of swearing that day.  It's all good now.