Craftsman Coming Back To Lowes

comp56

I'd be curious to see what Craftsman will offer. I know they are exploring the idea of battery powered tools. I'm not allowed to say what they are working on but it is definitely something Craftsman would make. I'm not sure if it will be part of an existing line or not. The smart move would be to bring back the quality but we will have to wait and see. I'd like to see Craftsman do the same as Mac where they just make the bare tool then throw in a couple powered by DeWALT batteries with slight design and color tweaks but keep the compatibility with DeWALT and powered by DeWALT tools. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There's more listed online. Honestly, right now the tool boxes are the only real thing worth considering...if you don't mind them only being ** X 18". There is a couple online socket sets with a new ratchet that looks nice but without any reviews (or seemingly anyone online having their hands on it thus far) and it being made overseas, it's a risky purchase...but I guess you can return it if it sucks. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/13/2018 at 3:01 PM, BMack37 said:

There's more listed online. Honestly, right now the tool boxes are the only real thing worth considering...if you don't mind them only being ** X 18". There is a couple online socket sets with a new ratchet that looks nice but without any reviews (or seemingly anyone online having their hands on it thus far) and it being made overseas, it's a risky purchase...but I guess you can return it if it sucks. 

Not impressed by the Lowes Craftsman boxes, they seem to be pretty thin material, the older one that I have from Sears is a heavier guage, better side handles they are inset instead of riveted on

• Like 2

7 hours ago, JimboS1ice said:

Not impressed by the Lowes Craftsman boxes, they seem to be pretty thin material, the older one that I have from Sears is a heavier guage, better side handles they are inset instead of riveted on

They're better than the newer Kobalt boxes released in the past couple years. I like the PC box better and the Lenox workbench is a lot nicer than the Craftsman, the Craftsman is like 4-6" too short. They're decent but I'd definitely take the Husky, Milwaukee and Dewalt boxes over the Craftsman...and of course the HF boxes.

I stopped by a few stores over the weekend and saw the new Craftsman displays, but wasn't overly interested.  The most positive thing I can say is that Lowe's now has some color in it besides blue.  I've stated this before, but the tool brands in Lowe's tend to blend together (with the exception of DeWalt and Hitachi), being primarily blue (Kobalt, Irwin, Bosch) or bland (PC, Bostitch) colors.

The other thing I noticed was how quick SBD is to rebrand their products.  One of the stores still has a FatMax T-Stak on clearance for $95.  The exact same setup is now available with Craftsman branding for $99, $20 less than the FatMax originally sold for.  I've been waiting for them to drop the price a bit more on the FatMax, but if it sells first that's probably for the best.  I have a lot of ToughSystem and Ridgid boxes already, and will likely invest in Packout this holiday season or sooner.  Also, when I last visted the Atlanta area a month or so ago, a HD was clearing out the DeWalt cantilever boxes.  You guessed it, the Craftsman is the exact same box, albeit in black and red instead of black and yellow.

I honestly hope that the Craftsman brand has retained some loyalty from others, but I've gotta say that I really wasn't interested in what Lowe's has started selling.  I used to use a Craftsman toolbox and a number of their hand tools when was a mechanic, and swore by Sears when I was a road tech; I knew I could buy something needed locally, or swap out a broken tool without having to look for a Snap-On truck.  Now I kind of view Craftsman in the same light as Kobalt--decent enough tools for someone who is in need, but nothing worth spending money on myself.  Then again, maybe I'm just "tooled out" when it comes to mechanics tools.  I've had my Snap-On, Mac, Matco, and Craftsman stuff in storage for over five years and haven't even looked at it in that time...

• 2 years later...

Yeah, new Craftsman isn't the same as old Craftsman was.  I loved old Craftsman and still have a fair number of the old Craftsman tools, as well as some newer Craftsman power tools (circ saw and corded drill) and a Craftsman 2000 Series toolbox.  The power tools are fine and were pretty affordable but theyre just Craftsman branded Black and Decker tools but that's not really a bad thing.  The tool box is pretty good but if I could have gotten a Husky tool box in anything but black or if the Milwaukee boxes had been a bit cheaper, I wouldnt have bought it.

For me and I think for many who loved Craftsman, real Craftsman is dead and there is really nothing special about SBD Craftsman.  I personally have found myself buying more Husky tools lately because I can simply take them back to any HD, no receipt needed and exchange them for a new tool.  No hassles, no questions asked; just like how Craftsman used to be.

• 2 months later...
On 10/25/2020 at 11:22 AM, Der_Dachs said:

Yeah, new Craftsman isn't the same as old Craftsman was...

...For me and I think for many who loved Craftsman, real Craftsman is dead and there is really nothing special about SBD Craftsman.  I personally have found myself buying more Husky tools lately because I can simply take them back to any HD, no receipt needed and exchange them for a new tool.  No hassles, no questions asked; just like how Craftsman used to be.

The new Craftsman just lacks the stage presence, if you will, of the old Sears stuff.  Sure, I can walk into Lowe's and be exposed to a sea of red Craftsman signage, but the effect is diminished by the equally prominent DeWalt yellow, Kobalt blue, and in some cases MetaboHPT green.  Also, whereas Sears had aisles devoted to hand tools, with each different size and style of socket or wrench getting its own peg, Lowe's (at least the ones I visit) focuses almost solely on kits.  To be honest, Home Depot is similar, with Husky's hand tool section occupying almost no space compared to the multiple aisles Sears had even ten years ago.  

One thing I'll miss, even from the last time I went into a Sears almost two years ago, is the sheer size of the tool section.  The stores devoted nearly a quarter of a floor to tools and lawn and garden, creating an oasis of sorts for those of us who were dragged to the mall by our families.  😀  Many of the Sears stores I went to had tool sections that rivaled Harbor Freight in size, albeit with Made in the USA Craftsman and other reputable brands.  Speaking of which, I wouldn't be surprised if Harbor Freight's rise in popularity was aided by Sears' struggles over the past couple of decades.  

20 hours ago, Michael Klein said:

That's amazing! I'm glad to hear that! 

Craftman is also one of my favorite brand beside Dewalt and Milwaukee.

It looks like Stanley, Black and Decker (SBD, who bought Craftsman from Sears) has plans to bring back at least some of Craftsman's former reputation, as I've heard that they're going to start making some hand tools in the US once again.  While SBD is pushing Craftsman cordless tools rather heavily, though, and some tools seem to be red versions of their DeWalt counterparts, most of us regard the SBD Craftsman power tool line to be on par with--and a potential replacement for--Porter Cable.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Eric - TIA said:

Agree, seems like a replacement for PC.  I hope they don't stop making the PC routers as I they are great routers.  However their power tools were nothing to write home about.  I did like the drill size but something very easily replaced by Craftsman.

Eric,

I agree, PC could (should?) become a corded-only brand that focuses on routers, sanders, and perhaps their better-known trademarks such as the TigerSaw recip.  Craftsman could thrive being cordless-only, with a large platform marketed as a DIY/light professional use alternative to DeWalt's pro tools.