Milwaukee gen 3 Hammer drill and Impact driver review by Tools in Action!

James Duncan

On 7/11/2018 at 12:56 PM, James Duncan said:

Can't wait to buy these!!! they are out now at home depot and other outlets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOdoGm7KKOY

They are great, if you are using a holesaw or larger bit in hard wood, I recommend spending the extra $ for the hard case and the side handle...I wish I had. Now I need to buy the side handle separate. That little drill has so much torque I could have seriouslu hurt my hand. 

Bare tool 2803/2804 should come with a side handle and belt clip.

First impression of the drill is I can't believe how small it is for the power it has it feels like a compact drill.  I got a 2803 drill/driver and chuck jaws don't have the carbide inserts.  Also for all the people hopeful that the new drills would have a rohm chuck it definately is not.  I would say the knurl pattern has more grip to it and the sleeve itself doesn't feel as flimsy as on previous chucks.  While it's not important to me I find it kind of strange that no ones made any mention of the electronic clutch. 

On 7/12/2018 at 5:41 PM, SpruceHill said:

They are great, if you are using a holesaw or larger bit in hard wood, I recommend spending the extra $ for the hard case and the side handle...I wish I had. Now I need to buy the side handle separate. That little drill has so much torque I could have seriouslu hurt my hand. 

what model# did you buy?? the one im seeing all over comes with a side handle and a hard case  Model # 2997-22 are you sure you bought the brand new ones? 

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Power-Tools/Combo-Kits/2-Piece-Kits/2997-22

On 7/13/2018 at 10:18 PM, Biggie said:

Bare tool 2803/2804 should come with a side handle and belt clip.

First impression of the drill is I can't believe how small it is for the power it has it feels like a compact drill.  I got a 2803 drill/driver and chuck jaws don't have the carbide inserts.  Also for all the people hopeful that the new drills would have a rohm chuck it definately is not.  I would say the knurl pattern has more grip to it and the sleeve itself doesn't feel as flimsy as on previous chucks.  While it's not important to me I find it kind of strange that no ones made any mention of the electronic clutch. 

The 2804 is the same size as the brushless compact Dewalt, the DCD791. It’s insane. I want to wait to see what Dewalt has in the pipe but a 2803 is in my sights. The chuck was explicitly described at NPS18 as not being a Rohm but it’s supposedly a nice one lol. “Milwaukee-designed”. They’re quite proud. We’ll see. 

The drill looks to be better in almost every way. The one thing that concerns  me is the cooling. I have noticed the vents look smaller. I thought I seen about them getting hot but I can't find any info to backup what I thought I seen.

I think if u shoot YouTube vids and tool fights and run tools trying to max them out then I’m sure they get hot. Everyday use I’ve never had this issue and if I did it’s because I was too lazy to get out my hole hawg  or my sds. I agree tho on the small vents. Seems like any tool branded with ‘fuel’ is sealed up with small and/or minimal vent holes. Kinda opposite of what other brands do. Can’t wait to get this drill tho. I’d like to know the specs on the chuck and if it’ll be available for purchase and able to be mounted on the gen 2 drill.

On 7/16/2018 at 12:20 AM, Framer joe said:

Tool boss did a review with the Milwaukee rep..he said it's a Milwaukee made Chuck ..and the specs are the same as the previous model only more compact...?

Tool boss is wrong .. As per the Milwaukee website:

both products also feature new industry-leading chucks with black oxide jaws and an updated sleeve knurl pattern for superior bit retention.

Milwaukees says its a New chuck in this video and theres  a chart  (i cued up the video to where he talks about the new chuck system

So the knurled pattern gives u 30% more grip strength... lol I wish they’d cut back on all their percentages sometimes it’s starting to sound so cheesy. Either way I’m on my 3rd bad chuck this year on my gen 2 so I’ll definitely be getting one of these 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, HiltiWpg said:

Now with 30% more marketing wank!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Milwaukee misleads more with their bar graphs on their packaging than your average politician. I like their tools, but MAN are they fishy.

• Like 1

Yea I don't get where they come up with 60% more power and up to 2x more speed under heavy load.  My first use with the new drill I had about 60 holes in 2 pieces of 12ga steel.  There were 3/8" holes punched in the steel that were about a 1/4 of a hole off and I wanted to upsize the hole to 7/16".  I was running the drill in high speed as I would on any drill.  On all 60 holes the drill would bind one time and shut itself off before drilling through the hole.  Now to me this was a pretty heavy load being put on the drill and I'm not really knocking the drill because our dcd996 and gen 2 fuel bind and shut down the same way, I just don't think it has that much more power.  The main reason I wanted the drill was for how compact it was with as much torque as the gen2 and it does deliver on that.  On a side note, it did seem to do a good job of holding the bit tight without slipping as I know my 2703 and 2704 would have with all that binding but it's also a new chuck so time will tell.

2 hours ago, Biggie said:

Yea I don't get where they come up with 60% more power and up to 2x more speed under heavy load.  My first use with the new drill I had about 60 holes in 2 pieces of 12ga steel.  There were 3/8" holes punched in the steel that were about a 1/4 of a hole off and I wanted to upsize the hole to 7/16".  I was running the drill in high speed as I would on any drill.  On all 60 holes the drill would bind one time and shut itself off before drilling through the hole.  Now to me this was a pretty heavy load being put on the drill and I'm not really knocking the drill because our dcd996 and gen 2 fuel bind and shut down the same way, I just don't think it has that much more power.  The main reason I wanted the drill was for how compact it was with as much torque as the gen2 and it does deliver on that.  On a side note, it did seem to do a good job of holding the bit tight without slipping as I know my 2703 and 2704 would have with all that binding but it's also a new chuck so time will tell.

If you didn't drop the bit once, then that's a massive improvement over the gen 2 chuck.

BTW, gen 2s chuck was a one-off too, it had an odd thread, 9/16-18. The "standard" is 1/2-20.

17 hours ago, Framer joe said:

I have not heard anything good about a Milwaukee made Chuck over a Jacobs Chuck.......but the gen 3 kit looks amazing

Got mine just the other day .. i am quite impressed $367 for the set at the home depot

UkDg3b7.jpg

kBIK8k5.jpg

• Like 1