Batteries

CityDecks

Hey guys. I'm dumping DeWalt and on the wall about going all Maki or all Hilti.

Does Maki have hassle's with batteries in the heat or Cold like DeWalt?

Overall Price wise not much more to go with Hilti. Maki just has silly blow out packages were they practically give batteries away like the Home Depot Black Friday coming soon.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

I like Makita but I haven't had much use with anything of theirs. I wouldn't mind getting some Makita because they make some nice stuff and even some stuff other brands don't have that I wouldn't mind trying. I haven't heard many people if any who don't like Makita apart from those who are super fans of their favorite brand and wouldn't be caught using anything else.

On 10/31/2018 at 3:02 AM, CityDecks said:

Hey guys. I'm dumping DeWalt and on the wall about going all Maki or all Hilti.

Does Maki have hassle's with batteries in the heat or Cold like DeWalt?

Overall Price wise not much more to go with Hilti. Maki just has silly blow out packages were they practically give batteries away like the Home Depot Black Friday coming soon.

It not the batteries that not perform in cold but the tool itself and all metal gears inside top Makita tools. Keep the tools + temperature insulated compartment when not in use overnight. Li-Ion does not recognise cold but would die when frequently overheats.   

3 hours ago, Ned said:

It not the batteries that not perform in cold but the tool itself and all metal gears inside top Makita tools. Keep the tools + temperature insulated compartment when not in use overnight. Li-Ion does not recognise cold but would die when frequently overheats.   

You're not being serious are you?😂

Some brands put a (somewhere near) -15deg cut off switch on batteries to stop them from delivering power beyond that.

Although most people are unlikely to see -40, at the temperature lithium batteries stop working completely.

https://www.toolstop.co.uk/blog/lithium-ion-batteries-and-winter-how-to-keep-working-in-the-cold/

[emoji848] what are a home owner....[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

You're not being serious are you?[emoji23]

Some brands put a (somewhere near) -15deg cut off switch on batteries to stop them from delivering power beyond that.

Although most people are unlikely to see -40, at the temperature lithium batteries stop working completely.

https://www.toolstop.co.uk/blog/lithium-ion-batteries-and-winter-how-to-keep-working-in-the-cold/

• 3 weeks later...

Makita seem to lose performance in the batteries in the winter as well as other companies until they're warmed up. Keeping the tools outside in your truck or van overnight shouldn't be a problem but you might want to bring your batteries inside to where it's warm and they'll work fine in the cold. 

• 2 months later...

I’m a general builder, carpenter by trade. I have been a very long time Makita buyer, and always have a lot of cordless tools. I don’t want to tempt fete but, never had any issues with the batteries.

Charging the batteries can take longer in extreme cold, and they don’t like to be overheated but, any of these type of batteries are of the same characteristics, not just Makita.

Most of my gear now is brushless, this gives a very noticeable longer run time with the tools, compared to brushed equivalents.  Although I have a lot of batteries, I try and rotate them in use. As any of this type of battery doesn’t like sitting unused for long periods.

So, it’s a good idea to have plenty of batteries but, not so many that some don’t get used much.

Generally, the cordless Makita gear and batteries are very good.

• Like 1