6.0 xr build quality

Biggie

Has anyone else noticed the spring in the battery release button being weak on some 6.0 xr batteries making it seam cheap and flimsy?

The first 6.0 I got was about a year ago and it had a weak spring.  Then I picked up a couple over the summer and they were better so I thought dewalt had it fixed.  Then I picked up a twin pack this weekend and they both have the weak springs. 

I would say this doesn't seem to be a problem with how the battery stays on the tool,  it just gives the battery a cheap feel.  The other thing I haven't done is check the actual build dates on the batteries, maybe I just got a older twin pack and dewalt has corrected the issue.  I was just curious what other guys are seeing.

My flexvolt batteries are the only dewalt batteries I've ever had and right from day one I always felt like the battery casing and release are cheap. Metabo and milwaukee batteries feel much more durable, even AEG feel better than dewalt. In saying that,  I've dropped my batteries from 4m directly onto a timber floor and they bounced like mad and still work fine. I've never opened one to see if the grade of plastic is the same as other brands, it looks more brittle. I am not a fan of the button release, it feels unguided and seems to twist when pushed. The batteries have never come off the tools, even hold well into the sabre saw which is the worst tool for vibration back and forth.

It's not an issue with the battery falling off tools.  I've had around 30 different 20v max batteries and while they maybe aren't all perfect, it's really just 3 of the 5 6.0xr batteries that I've really noticed the button just feels crappy.  I think they all have some side to side play and twist but a firm spring hides a lot of it.  

Dewalt batteries have the worst build quality of the big 3 for sure. That said, they’re usually the cheapest. The release mechanism is straight up trash compared to M18 or Makita. Makita has by far the smoothest engagement, so they feel premium despite the plastic housing of Makita feeling the cheapest. Never had a problem with the M18 mechanism either, and like the rubber overmold. I have Dewalt tools I have to fight to disengage batteries from, and my 3.0 compacts need to have the slides sanded down because they’re slightly too wide; it takes a ridiculous effort to pull them off some tools like the inflator (while the XR6.0 and flecvolt 9.0 slide on and off fine). 

23 hours ago, method said:

Looking at my batteries I noticed some are made in Japan, some Korea so maybe this has something to do with it? I've never been a fan of the whole "Made in China to xxxxx strict specifications". 

My 6.0 XR are Japanese. They have the worst buttons. My 3.0s are Korean. Crap buttons and the packs themselves fit tools way too snug. My 9.0s are all Japanese except one is Chinese. The Chinese one is the newest and seems to have the crappiest button, but one Japanese one has a trash button as well. Seems like a crapshoot thanks to a bean counter design.