Foam

firefighter4187

Thanks and that would work, I'm am putting on my drill and impact case.

Well glad that I was able to help because I was shocked at how much some places were trying to charge for some foam $40 bucks for a piece of it is fucking insane sorry if swearing isn't allowed here but it just shocked me.

The website above references a Polyether foam, that is a softer, open cell foam. It will absorb water, grease, oil etc. And is not very impact resistant meaning dropping a tool on it repeatedly will destroy it. You want a closed cell foam like polyethylene, it is much more durable and is very well suited to take the repeated impact of dropping a tool in it. My experience with pick and pluck has been miserable as the shape never truly "shadows" the tool. There is a product called Kaizen Foam, that is a closed cell, polyethylene that you can cut to shape and it peels off in 1/8" layers It comes in overall varying depths and is cheap, and is warranted for life. Do a search for it.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the link on the foam!  I am converting my tool storage over to the Bosch L-Boxx system, but the boxes come without any foam.  The Bosch foam is $25 a pop.  I was able to pick up 15 pieces of this other foam for less than $100.  The sizing is a bit different but a few dabs of adhesive on the bottom should keep everything in place.  15 gives me enough for all my L-Boxxes and will let me go a few layers deep for some of tools.  I'll let you know how it works out.  

I agree.  Bosch is completely missing the boat on this.  Also, they do not sell the trays for their own tools separate.  I have quite a few 12v and 18v Bosch and a few corded ones that I bought before they introduced the l-boxx.  It would be nice if I could but a tray to fit them in my new l-boxxes, but the trays only come with new tools...frustrating...

And another thing about the foam - Festool charges $25 for a superior foam package that includes bottom foam, "shapable foam" to customize for a tool, and a top lid foam.    

Well I will say that at full retail the Bosch's aren't too much of a deal...but...I managed to get about $500 worth of l-boxxes for about $300 using various promotions and sales. That same $300 would have bought me 4-5 Festool Systainers, vs the 12 L-boxxes I was able to get. Although now I'm adding $90 for foam...

Can't wait until the long holiday weekend so I can get everything organized.  

I am sorry to say it but For me Festool is over priced and over hyped as well because they are not very powerful at all and a bit crap to be honest.

I went to the manchester tool fair and got chance to have a go side by side with many many drills and can honestly say hand on heart that if I were in the U.S.A I would buy Milwaukee or Bosch.

My reasons are simple and are this. The only 2 real quality manufacturers where the gear is tough and you guys get anything like as much of the range as us are BOSCH and MILWAUKEE.   :)

My Pal Neil has the Festool track saw and he is very happy with it.

I am being quite general here but they just are not up to being used and abused as a tool range on a job site.

The Milwaukee fuel for example is over a third up on torque which is a vast amount of power not to have having spent enough to buy nearly 2 milwaukee fuel drills on 1 Festool.

No matter how you look at it the Milwaukee and Bosch brands destroy Festool which even look dated these days.