DS100 vs Ds150

Cynan

Hi everyone,

As I live in the UK my drill/driver & impact driver set came in a DS150. After using that for a while I started to think about investing into the Toughsystem and so recently bought the racking system which came with a DS150, DS300 and DS400 in a Black Friday deal.

My next decision is, do I replace my current organisers which I have 4 of, for screws/plugs, nails, clips, and plumbing bits with either DS100 or DS150s (no DS130s here).

For those that have both, are the yellow pots the same and cross campatible? Are they the same depth? Anyone prefer one to the other?

The DS100 doesn’t have the top handle but I guess it’s not a problem as can be carried underneath my drill/impact set.

Perhaps I’m looking at it all wrong. Rather than carrying an organiser with all possible screws and plugs, perhaps I should only carry a few in a DS150 with the impact driver, and drill bits and the drill in another DS150.

Hmm.

Oh and I’ve enjoyed reading the other topics from you all, especially the ones with photos of your boxes and layouts. Some of you clearly have far to many tools! :)

The DS130 and 150 bins aren't compatible either.

I sort of kitted my tools. So the impact, wrenches, extensions, and sockets go in a 130 that I took the bins out of. I keep some specialty sockets in the top racks and the rest in socket strips. Wrenches in a wrench roll.

The drill, bits, and half of my self tapping screws goes in a DS150. Drill index is a round coffee cup type and firs with drill. One bin has concrete anchors. One has magnetic socket drivers and step drills. Drywall screws in the other 2. One top bin holds the other loose bits, screw drivers, etc. The other holds an assortment of self tapping screws.

One DS130 holds the larger crimp on lugs. All bins in it.

Medium holds the down straps, chain, etc. This one isn't as useful as it looks so I keep this stuff in it.

Large cart/tool box holds chargers, extension cord, hammer, long handle impact screw drivers, rubber and leather high voltage gloves, small sledge hammer.

Tote bin holds my tool belt so it doesn't go everywhere. Then at the job site I put the belt on and put materials in the tote bin.

Just bought two more DS130s and two more tote bins. All the boxes except the one tote bin go in the truck bed right now. If I had a choice, buy the 130s. You can always take out bins and it's better built for about the same price. My plan is to move the grinder to a DS130 and make the other one a bolt bin. Thinking of moving my overnight supplies to the tote so it stacks nicely in the truck. The other tote is for small bags and boxes like cable the organizer, tape and cutter/stripper bag, crimper, etc. I work at a motor shop. Some jobs are more electrical, some are wrench turning.

So the idea is I can just grab one box for drilling, one for wrenching, one for lugs, etc. I get accused of having half the truck in my tool boxes and it's probably true but the other guys load up a cart with tools and roll it in. But I don't have to unload and reload everything. It all stays sorted in weather tight tool boxes.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks guys.

They don’t sell the DS130 in the UK and unsure of import taxes in order to get some.

So that leaves me with the DS100 (£39.99 ~$35) or the DS150 (also around £39/~$35 wen on offer).

My conclusion is to buy more DS150s and give them a try. They can always be repurposed for tools, where as the DS100s would end up unused if they didn’t work out.

As an aside I’m thinking of a drill rolls now too to save space which I could fit into a DS150 and ditch a big plastic case with the bits in that I use now.

Thanks for all your input. Appreciate hearing how others store them tools

I put all my wrenches in a roll and glad I did. Drills are in the coffee cup thing Viking is one brand on Amazon. Look for jobber length drills, no gold plated garbage but real HSS. I keep the larger and loose and specialty drills in the lid trays. In the DS130. The drill, side handle, and coffee cup holder just fit in the open area in the middle of the box. In a DS150 you'd just take out the middle bins to get the same thing.

I put the sockets in Grip Tools round magnetic trays first time. On the standard sockets they work great. On deep well sockets and socket like items like hex drivers not so much. The sockets get loose and go everywhere when you tilt the box. I've gone back to strips. I work service work so I need a slot for every socket or I'd lose half of them on jobs in a month. I don't always want them back when they fall in a raw sewage tank but most of the time they go back in the box.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk