How do you guys store bare tools?

Jronman

I'm curious how you guys store bare tools or more specifically what do you guys store your tools corded/cordless in that do not come with their own storage.?Some just use the cardboard box the tool shipped in or leave the tool loose. Others buy some better storage like a tool bag/box or modular storage.

I personally invest in Systainers and Tough System. They fit my needs and wants quite well. I am trying to phase out any other storage I have.

My first preference is for a tool box designed specifically for the tool. When that isn't available I select a generic tool box, that is then adapted to the tool.

The best utility for me is for that tool box to also house the likely / expected tool accessories for grab and go usage.

The tool boxes selected match the tool brand, Systainer for Festool, TSTAK for DeWalt and so on.

The tool bags are used by me to collect / transport all the other stuff I need for a specific project.

Depends on what kind of tool and how it will be used. Home stuff stays in tool box, organized and labeled drawers. Mid-torque stays in a tool bag with flip sockets and gloves for roadside use. One m12 drill lives in a tool bag. One M12 drill lives in a holster on the electronics bench. One m12 drill and impact stay in a drill stand on the garage workbench(M18 drills/impacts stay in tool box)

Stuff I really don't use may find themselves in tool bags and on shelves. I'm big on organization to improve workflow so if I need to do a specific job, maybe I need two of something...pull those out of the bags and then move them to a tool bag I'm filling for that project.

The Fastcap website is a good source for the Kaizen foam. They sell the full-size 2'x4' sheets. The disadvantage is the shipping cost. For a single sheet, shipping costs twice the sheet amount. The shipping is free when the sheets total $100 or more.

https://www.fastcap.com/product/kaizen-foam

When I needed Kaizen foam, I selected a panel that was precut to fit my tool box interior on eBay, for a reasonable charge w/ free shipping.

I put cordless tools in padded postal bags (bubble wrap bags). Then I can throw them in modular tool boxes without getting all scratched up. They're quite heavy duty bags actually. 

Ideally i'd use foam or dividers but that approach is too expensive.

• Like 1

At work I have Ridgid boxes and a large Husky roller  bag. All my cordless stuff just gets piled into the boxes. Even my Festool jigsaw and sander goes into a Ridgid box. The only item that stays in a dedicated Systainer is my Cordless track saw, but I did ask to purchase it without a Systainer. 

For me at work its all about keeping a small foot print and being portable as I'm always moving around. If everything was in its own neat little box it would be way too hard to get my tools.  I also don't want to have a bunch of Systainers around advertising what I have.

Even at home I don't use dedicated boxes, All my routers, saws etc, just get the cord wrapped around them and piled into a Knaack box. I threw out all the cases, putting everything back into cases is just a waste of time to me.

Personally, i move a lot from site site, so having (labelled) boxes for everything is nice. I also keep all of the accessories for a specific tool in its box. When ever I arrive to a job, I take my hand tools bag and my Makpac with a drill, impact, charger, 4 5Ah batteries, bits etc. Then when I see the job, i bring the rest off the stuff I need.

I really like my Ridgid pro organizers. Didn’t have to spend 200 on packout, and they keep the elements out well. Rolling box has the  power tools (circ, impact, drill, OMT, sawzall, Roto hammer, jigsaw, couple fast chargers and a radio) middle box has hand tools not worn on bags and the little Ridgid box has my batteries. Removed those orange organizer boxes and use them elsewhere. Flexvolt batts in the middle, 20 volts on each side. Works great. 

• Like 3

As above, most of my cordless bare tools just get thrown into one box or bag. The bags are great space savers but aren't waterproof. I too throw out the cases they come in as the cases are too bulky for what is in them. I just bought an AEG quickstack box today to see what I can store in it. It seems to be better built than the dewalt toughsystem if not on par, but was $55 as opposed to $90. 

I keep a lot of things in the cheap galvanised boxes, that way most bums who sight them wouldn't think they are power tools however, they need to be siliconed around the bottom seam to keep them completely water tight. 

Corded tools just get the cord coiled up and stored in drawers etc.

The only tools I keep in the cases are my cordless 9" grinders, corded multitool and jackhammers etc as it's easy to keep all of the parts together and both the milwaukee and metabo grinder cases hold several disks neatly inside.

I just realised today that the AEG box is made in Israel. Strange, it feels odd not saying Made in P.R.C 🤔 I even got confused and checked the label twice! 

This fits dewalt batteries perfectly, they fit two up and the 9's also fit snug with their extra height. I think this one will be for battery storage 👍

2 hours ago, method said:

I just realised today that the AEG box is made in Israel. Strange, it feels odd not saying Made in P.R.C 🤔 I even got confused and checked the label twice! 

This fits dewalt batteries perfectly, they fit two up and the 9's also fit snug with their extra height. I think this one will be for battery storage 👍

The AEG Quick Stack is the same as the Ridgid system in the US.  A lot of the plastic tool boxes and organizers are made in Israel by Keter.  Many of the ToughSystem boxes come from there, and the Keter, Husky, and Kreg (discontinued?) organizers are the exact same, with the Keter having different color schemes between Walmart and Lowe's.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

For anyone interested, I did use the AEG case for battery storage. I throw it into the truck amongst a heap of crap and it's taken a good beating and is still fully functional. I noticed warm batteries stay warm when kept in the case straight from the tool however, leaving this in the back of the truck in the sun several days when it was around and above 40 degrees, the batteries inside were definitely not hot, maybe slightly warm from the ambient temperature. When i fill it with batteries it also makes a good weapon with it's weight 👍 I'll be buying another one to fit the rest of the batteries for sure.

Attached a pic with some batteries and my adapters in the orange compartment.

20190103_175506.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...