Woodworking bench

Teyayaje

I would like to build a new workbench https://mechanicguides.com/best-woodworking-bench/. My current one I got for free on Craigslist and has gotten the job done but lacks a lot. I'm looking into using a solid wooden door as the top. I'm finding several sources for used doors but they are composite cores. They are very heavy and seem very solid but should I hold out for solid wood like oak instead of a composite type?

Thanks

Welcome to the forum.

Is the door selection based on aesthetics or a different reason? A door is not going to provide the optimum surface. A used solid core door is not common.

My topic, linked below, includes my workbench, made of two plywood layers, glued and screwed onto a 2x6 and 2x4 frame.

This comports with my over-the-top solution implementation.

This has been a great bench.

Another bench I built that was also excellent (no images) has a butcher block top and four side-by-side four-drawer pedestal units, all filled with metal hardware.

1 hour ago, Teyayaje said:

I would like to build a new workbench. My current one I got for free on Craigslist and has gotten the job done but lacks a lot. I'm looking into using a solid wooden door as the top. I'm finding several sources for used doors but they are composite cores. They are very heavy and seem very solid but should I hold out for solid wood like oak instead of a composite type?

Thanks

What are you using the bench for?

Are you a wood woodworker using hand tools and or power tools? 

Solid core doors are are a great option for a top with an added surface. I just completed one of two woodworking benches in my shop, one of for multiple types of woodworking tools versus my still uncompleted bench. In both cases I opted to make both benches from our typical white pine soft wood, both tops different but the same in basic structure...laminated face to face after milled and surfaced flat. 

If you are looking for a general purpose bench for machine work, household chores and diy projects, I think a basic plywood bench would suffice. I had one in my last shop in my old shop that though had limitations was quite solid. I used that bench for woodworking projects as opposed to machine work (they are called....mechanics. Of which I am not) or general diy jobs.  I completed more than a few cabinet and small projects with it. Biggest problems I had with my old bench? Lateral movement and lack of clamping space.

Welcome me to the forums and Merry Christmas.

141B526B-C15B-480B-B298-9035632355FF.jpeg

EF180F71-453D-46E2-B882-075CFCDF7127.jpeg

C24FB97E-9431-486F-81C7-869345D858B8.jpeg

4C03B794-AF20-4CA1-B184-C11C411EAC74.jpeg

191C891F-3E0B-4BD3-B995-B0176DA41B44.jpeg

3379C61F-8392-4B69-9785-4B314B756B16.jpeg

7A23D67A-E4B3-4743-B78A-CD40CC90C7FC.jpeg

• Like 2