Dewalt hammer drill vs non hammer drill

hammerhead

On 12/18/2018 at 4:59 PM, wingless said:

Welcome to the forum.

I don't have the hammer drill.

Here is my drill topic, maybe it will be helpful.

Nice review on that drill.  Trying to find out if the non hammer drill is actually built different than the hammer drill.  

Would not be using the hammer part that often, 99% of the time, would be just drilling.  Having said that, would the non hammer drill last just as long?

The dcd996 hammer drill and dcd991 drill should be exactly the same except the hammer function.  They have the same power, speeds, and chucks.  I do know that milwaukee doesnt put the same chuck on their non hammer drill as their hammer drill,  the hammer drill has carbide inserts in the chuck and the non doesn't.  But the dewalt dcd996 and dcd991 both have the carbide insert chuck.  I couldn't tell you what the dewalt compact drills (dcd796 and dcd791)have for chucks.

According to dewalts website, the dcd791 has a metal ratcheting chuck, guessing that is different than the carbide chuck on the dcd991 and 996.  

I am looking at the DCK484D2 set which has the dcd791 drill.  Looking to buy a 20v set with drill, impact driver, circ saw and sawzall and a flashlight would be nice

I find "the experience" when using hammer drills slightly different. Hammer drills are more front heavy and less balanced. They also have back and forth movement in the chuck, some more than others. The DCD796 has quite a bit of movement, but it's a beast when drilling in hammer mode (for a compact).

As far as I know the DCD791 and DCD796 are identical other than the hammer mode. Same chucks etc.

4 hours ago, D W said:

I find "the experience" when using hammer drills slightly different. Hammer drills are more front heavy and less balanced. They also have back and forth movement in the chuck, some more than others. The DCD796 has quite a bit of movement, but it's a beast when drilling in hammer mode (for a compact).

As far as I know the DCD791 and DCD796 are identical other than the hammer mode. Same chucks etc.

I agree with this.

I like my setup, compact drill/driver and the big boy hammer drill. The bigger, the better for a hammer drill IMO. If you have to have ONE drill and you own a cinder block home, it has to be a hammer drill. Outside of that, drill/driver because you're not going to do any concrete slabs with a hammer drill...you need a SDS for that.

• Like 1