New Makita 12V Max CXT Inflator

D W

14 hours ago, The.Handyman said:

I haven't seen any photos of it next to the others available for comparison yet.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

It doesn't need one.

The DeWalt is huge and the milwaukee is boxy and designed around the M12 battery, of course the makita is considerably more compact.

Did you know well seasoned artists can draw to scale without a tape measure?

Also, I can't understand the point of the trigger. Should be able to set it and start, I really don't like the idea of having to hold the trigger for it to run.

That’s definitely quite small.

Hopefully that trigger is toggle on/off because it makes little sense to bother putting in an auto-off and digital reader otherwise.

Sometimes it feels like they’re going a little out of their way to ensure their 12V line doesn’t lurch into LXT territory, as there are a few oddball-type tools that don’t strike me as likely to ever see an 18V counterpart.

Which would be fine, especially for a lot of the low-power items.

Thing is here, Makita’s 12V line does not have any impact wrenches that would be sufficient for taking lug nuts off anything. If it had an adapter to allow direct power from a car battery the decision makes more sense, but I don’t see that.

I see they went with the lever style of locking mechanism. I think I prefer the screw style now. The DeWALT may be big but it has a lot more features pack in. You get 12v car adapter storage, dedicated light, high volume mode, high pressure mode, and storage for all the attachments and hoses.

• Like 2

And seeing as I’ve never seen a CXT tool on a site I can’t imagine many people getting one.

18v would have been another story

M12 and 20v Max are fairly ubiquitous which makes their inflators a smarter choice. Not to mention I already thought the M12 duty cycle was poor; this Makita is even worse. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Looks nice other than having to hold the trigger...how tedious. If the thing is smart enough to shut itself off when proper pressure is reached just have a button toggle it on. Inflating a tire will be such a nuisance having to kneel on the ground the whole time.

Not a trivial qualm but other than that I like it. Love the digital readout. And so compact...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ToolBane said:

Looks nice other than having to hold the trigger...how tedious. If the thing is smart enough to shut itself off when proper pressure is reached just have a button toggle it on. Inflating a tire will be such a nuisance having to kneel on the ground the whole time. 

God knows who thought it was a good idea.

0004614_8-inch-black-heavy-duty-cable-tie-100-pack.jpeg

• Like 1

I've used a strip of velcro cable organiser to keep safety triggers depressed (Dewalt 20V die grinder and Metabo 18V recip saw). One side of the strip is the "hooks" and the other the "loops". All you have to do is wrap it around.

• 9 months later...

I've owned this inflator for a few months now.   

Pros:  Very compact and lightweight profile.  Easily fits under a car seat, easy to take out on ATV/Side by side.  Don't be fooled by it only using a 12v battery.   This thing will run great on 12v.  I have both 2.0 & 4.0 amp hour 12 v batteries, I have yet to see anything in normal usage that the 2.0 amp hour battery cant perform.   

Cons:   Only one, no trigger lock.   

I sold my Dewalt 20vmax inflator when I switched brands over to Makita.  That said, I still prefer the Makita even without a trigger lock over my previous Dewalt inflator.   Its just so much more compact and lightweight.