Jump to content

HKC55 Thoughts?


marsh942

Recommended Posts

I’m considering buying the HKC55 for doing small framing/decking/stair stringers but I’m hesitant for a couple of reasons. 

1) it’s $1202 (AUD) for the Saw, 420 rail (although I’d try swap it for the 250) fast charger and 2 x6.2ah Bluetooth airstream batteries. I’m an employee for a company and I’ve already spent a relatively decent amount in 3 years on my own gear to get no real thanks compared to guys who have 2 drills 😂 but it was my choice I suppose. 

2) having seen it on YouTube/insta it looks a little underpowered - can anyone confirm/deny? 

3) I’ve already heavily invested in Makita skins/batteries so the HKC would really be a niche type tool, I’d have to justify the outlay and use it often. I’d be worried that I didn’t. 

4) I had a TSC55 and sold it. Was extremely disappointed in the power/runtime for the price I paid. I had to send it back twice because the blade wasn’t running exactly parallel to the base/rail and it struggled through every cut. For a expensive skin it wasn’t what I hoped for. 

All feedback welcome, thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ve got the HKC but I’m not a pro, rather a hobbyist. Love the saw, I framed out my back deck with it and have done mostly smaller projects with it. I am invested in the Festool line already so it was not a big deal for me to get the saw and I have been pleased with it’s performance but for framing work, I always use my Dewalt Flexvolt saw. Deeper cut and it’s got some crazy  torque. I guess I would say if your going to spend the coin, I would probably get the Mafell, it’ll run Metabo batteries. I am not bashing the HKC and don’t have any reason not to love it but if you weren’t happy with the TSC, I doubt you’d be too impressed with the HKC though I love the capabilities of that little saw.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, ChrisK said:

I’ve got the HKC but I’m not a pro, rather a hobbyist. Love the saw, I framed out my back deck with it and have done mostly smaller projects with it. I am invested in the Festool line already so it was not a big deal for me to get the saw and I have been pleased with it’s performance but for framing work, I always use my Dewalt Flexvolt saw. Deeper cut and it’s got some crazy  torque. I guess I would say if your going to spend the coin, I would probably get the Mafell, it’ll run Metabo batteries. I am not bashing the HKC and don’t have any reason not to love it but if you weren’t happy with the TSC, I doubt you’d be too impressed with the HKC though I love the capabilities of that little saw.

 

I can totally see the benefits of the saw, the idea of having the rail on the saw and taking the saw to the material makes sense to me. Would definitely improve efficiency and workflow where I am. I’d love to buy a mafell but there’s no channels to import it here to Australia that I’m aware of. I could buy from ITS tools in the uk but they don’t offer overseas delivery. I could pick one up when I go back one February and bring it back. Would be around $2000 AUD for a KSS50 kit which is a decent amount of money on a tool that would be to benefit my employer and not really me. If it was my own company I’d have no hesitation. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, marsh942 said:

 

I can totally see the benefits of the saw, the idea of having the rail on the saw and taking the saw to the material makes sense to me. Would definitely improve efficiency and workflow where I am. I’d love to buy a mafell but there’s no channels to import it here to Australia that I’m aware of. I could buy from ITS tools in the uk but they don’t offer overseas delivery. I could pick one up when I go back one February and bring it back. Would be around $2000 AUD for a KSS50 kit which is a decent amount of money on a tool that would be to benefit my employer and not really me. If it was my own company I’d have no hesitation. 

Crap, you guys get hosed down under for prices. Do you ever visit the USA? It might be worth waiting and picking up a Festool or a Mafell here. Or better yet, get a Mafell through Timberwolf Tools in Maine, have it sent to a friend if you have one here and then ship it out....😎😎😎

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, ChrisK said:

Crap, you guys get hosed down under for prices. Do you ever visit the USA? It might be worth waiting and picking up a Festool or a Mafell here. Or better yet, get a Mafell through Timberwolf Tools in Maine, have it sent to a friend if you have one here and then ship it out....😎😎😎

 

Yeah that might work. Only problem would be it’s still gonna be around $1500 and I’d have no warranty 👎🧐

Maybe the HKC will be the best option and maybe try a thinner kerfed blade than the 1.8mm 12/18T options that Festool offer. 

Maybe a low-count Diablo or even a Makita efficut....

 

thanks for your replies 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/1/2019 at 6:59 AM, ChrisK said:

I’ve got the HKC but I’m not a pro, rather a hobbyist. Love the saw, I framed out my back deck with it and have done mostly smaller projects with it. I am invested in the Festool line already so it was not a big deal for me to get the saw and I have been pleased with it’s performance but for framing work, I always use my Dewalt Flexvolt saw. Deeper cut and it’s got some crazy  torque. I guess I would say if your going to spend the coin, I would probably get the Mafell, it’ll run Metabo batteries. I am not bashing the HKC and don’t have any reason not to love it but if you weren’t happy with the TSC, I doubt you’d be too impressed with the HKC though I love the capabilities of that little saw.

Second this, the marcell takes this style of saw to the next level, the depth adjustment does not pivot the shoe but lowers the whole assembly, keeps your saw from awkward angles on shallower cuts, if size is an issue i want to say the Mafell comes in two sizes

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, JimboS1ice said:

Second this, the marcell takes this style of saw to the next level, the depth adjustment does not pivot the shoe but lowers the whole assembly, keeps your saw from awkward angles on shallower cuts, if size is an issue i want to say the Mafell comes in two sizes

Actually the Mafell cross cutting saws come in five sizes. The beast is the kss80 that can cut better than 3" stock. That one is corded though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Member Statistics

    16,984
    Total Members
    6,555
    Most Online
    Toyyorky
    Newest Member
    Toyyorky
    Joined
×
×
  • Create New...