wingless' DCL040 20V Max LED Worklight

wingless

DeWALT DCL040 20V Max LED Worklight

The DeWALT DCL040 Type 1 20V Max LED worklight is a great tool. This is purchased as the worklight-only, without the battery. The worklight tool is available as: part of bundled tool kits; loose from bulk packaging (manual included) or as retail packaged, also with manual included.

The measured mass is 10.4 oz (without battery and with belt hook). The measured length is 7¼" (without battery or belt hook). The specified output is 110 Lumens.

It doesn't include the DeWALT N268241 belt hook. I purchased that separately and added that to the tool. Note that the tool already had two of the required M3 0.5 Nylock nuts installed. I scavenged one of those nuts from this tool for usage in my DCS355D1 oscillating saw.

The tool has great features adding to the utility. The worklight is small, making storage easy. The worklight is very stable vertical when placing the battery on a horizontal surface. In that application, the rotating head (-10° to 100°) is quick / easy to get light onto the correct location, with eleven 10° detents throughout the entire rotation range. There is also a rotating bail surrounding the head, enabling hooking this for usage. The bail has a detent for the storage position, then free full-arc rotation when not stored.

The light is very bright with a nice / concentrated spot. It is full on / full off. There is not a dimmed or a flashing function.

This reply shows the belt hook.

20V MAX XR Belt Hook and Tool Holder -

http://forum.toolsinaction.com/topic/14432-wingless-20v-max-xr-belt-hook-and-tool-holder/

This is very handy, stored w/ the other DeWALT tools and always has a spare battery available for the light. I've used this lots and it's now my go-to worklight.

The spot-on-the-wall image is from about 20' away. Note the track lighting fixtures in that image at 1 o'clock for size perspective. The bright center spot is about 2' diameter at 20' distance.

31673449087_144b6b29dc_b.jpg

31673448757_c1ddfc10c0_b.jpg

31673448897_e7a451df77_b.jpg

31673448927_b79ff0cd1d_b.jpg

46614633211_d318f198fc_b.jpg

• Like 1

The light color temperature is not specified.

As you probably know, white LED devices are constructed by covering a blue LED with cerium-doped  yttrium-aluminium garnet (YAG) phosphor. The blue LED light excites the yellow phosphor to produce a broad-spectrum white light.

As-such, the light spectrum of all white LED lights have a strong blue component. The phosphor blend is tuned to attain the desired warm or cool effect.

This image shows the light spectrum of a typical blue LED covered w/ a yellow phosphor for a cool white. It also shows the spectrum after also adding a red phosphor for a warm white.

lkyXG.png

The color of the DCL040 appears white to me.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1