why do my lxt batteries not like the cold

opcruzer

I have 9-10 of the 3.0 batteries and a vast array of the lxt lineup and when I go to use a battery that is below 40 degrees it acts like its going dead or just down on power.  This really shows on higher draw tools (circ saw, recip saw, large 1/2" impact).  

I also have some of the milwaukee m18 tools and batteries and some of the old dewalt 18v and new 20v stuff (all lithium in all 3 brands) and they dont seem to be bothered by the cold at all.  

Even though my makita 1/4" impact guns don't put out as much torque the yellow and red ones I have I still like the feel and ergos of my blue stuff and use it the most.  I make sure to hand out the yellow stuff to other people when at a job so they can break that stuff and not my nice makita stuff.

• Like 1

Lithium-Ion packs are notorious for being poor performing in cold weather. Only very recently have they gotten better. This is why many people in colder climates were reluctant to make the switch from Ni-Cad's for a long time.  

I don't think Makita has updated their cells as often as the other companies. I know part of the problem for Milwaukee was some of the first generation cells were horrible. I think milwaukee is on their 4 or 5 th generation of battery tech now, and most other companies have moved on to newer cells with better cold weather performance.

I never got why Dewalt left out some kind of battery gauge on the launch of the 12v 20v max tool lines. It was supposed to be this huge new push into this new tool line and the early adopters are the ones that got hosed they did release batteries with gauges a year or so later.

Dewalt went haywire there for awhile. At one point they had released the Max lines, but were still putting out more XRP tools than Max. When I revamped my cordless tools a couple years back it was Milwaukee, no contest. Dewalt has caught up a bit though. Still waiting on a multi-tool. I predicted last year that 2013 would be a big year for Makita. So far no good.

Yea I have no idea why Dewalt hasn't release a multi tool considering they could borrow the one from Porter Cable, Yea being an early adopter to the 20v max line was kinda dissapointing. I was think new releases ever 6 months it ended up being ever year some new tools were released. The 20v lineup is pretty solid now except for some powered caulk guns and trim nailers they pretty much have the same number of tools as the old xrp line

Wayne, I think Toolskool  did a test on Dewalt 20v batteries where they freezed them over night along with the drill, and they still worked when they stuck on the battery. This would be a good video and test on your cool packs :)

+1 Milwaukee froze their Red Lithium packs when the demo'd them at pre-launch events. 

I usually bring the bag of batteries into the house at night and keep some chargers inside as well.  If on the road I will bring a bag of batteries into my hotel room like luggage.

I have diversified my collection so its not as much of a problem anymore. 

Also I talked with a Makita territory rep a month ago and he said Makita is coming out with a 4.0 battery and a fuel gauge.  He also gave me that blank stare when I talked with him about the cold weather issue.

He did however give me a flashlight (LXLM01W) for my son who is 5 who collects flashlights to play with so it wasn't all a waste.

• 1 month later...

Here makita as a cordless fan that you put on a hard hat its great i use it went im welding and it looks like we get a lot of makita tools before the US

Yea, it came up in a thread awhile back. Looks awesome, but not available in the US

Batteries and Build quality, sort those issues out and Makita could get back in the game.

We tested a combi drill from them and week one it was brilliant,week 2 the chuck was wobbling and also the down time waiting for batteries because you flatten the first one long before you charge the other one was a real pain in the backside.

And again there may be a plug socket close by in test lab land,but not in the real world on the job site.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

New lithium cells like Wanye mentioned perform just as well as nicad in cold weather now. I just wish the same could be said about my Paslode nailers I don't know why the don't add a heater to warm the fuel for cold weather performance.