Williams

firefighter4187

I was visiting my grandfather in Pennsylvania all weekend and while I was there I installed an Air Raid system for his truck. Ofcourse I didn't have ant of my tools so I went for his sockets. He has a full set of Williams standard sockets, which he bought in 1957. My dumb self didn't take a picture but he is coming down in January and he is giving them to me along with his Lincoln Welder.

J.H. Williams has been around since the late 1800's. They are an Industrial brand similar to Proto, Blackhawk, Wright, Armstrong, etc. They were purchased by Snap-On a few years back and are now their industrial arm with a mix of USA and Taiwan items. In the 1950's they were still an independent company making everything in the US of A. The 50's were a great time for tools. They were made by skilled craftsmen that took pride in the pieces they put out and the quality was top notch. Those sockets were also machined ratchet than cold forged (stamped) like they are today. 1950's tools are very collectable and worth good money. The best part about it is that you can use them for years and you'll think of your Grandpa each time you do. Take good care of them and your kids may be using them too. The tools I got that from my dad and my Grandpa are the only tools in my box I can't replace. Congrats on a great set of sockets.

Does it include a ratchet? If so it probably and S-52 if it's 1/2" or a B-52 if it's 3/8". Both are very good ratchets but they are sometimes really hard to get apart without a pin spanner wrench.  

That's a fine set you'll enjoy for many years. Google "Williams B-52 ratchet" and see if that's it. I hope it is, they were great ratchets. I have an S-52 that's a little past it's prime. It's still usable, but needs to be taken apart and serviced. Let me know if it's a B-52.

Additionally, that would be a good start on a vintage Williams collection. Should be able to find some items for a good price. If that is a B-52 in that set, go ahead and order a pin spanner wrench. You'll need it to service those old Williams "Super Ratchets" which were some of the first dual pawl round heads that I'm aware of. If you order the pin spanner I'll send you my old S-52 and a vintage Williams C-Clamp I have. The S-52 isn't collector condition, but it is usable and would be an excellent piece to learn the workings of the ratchet and how to service them. I can offer you some tips as I've serviced dozens of different ratchets.

• 2 weeks later...