Skil 728 Roto-Hammer

tackes

Using my Dad's old Skil 728 roto hammer. Hasn't been used for 20 years but has been cased and protected. Drill runs smoothly but the hammer function only engages intermittently. Repeated trigger pulls will eventually engage the hammer function and then it makes concrete seem like butter! So does anyone recognize the symptoms and are you able to suggest a possible corrective action. This tool has sentimental value so I'd like to keep it running and hand it down to my grand nephew.  I was lucky enough to find some bits online. Thanks.

Using my Dad's old Skil 728 roto hammer. Hasn't been used for 20 years but has been cased and protected. Drill runs smoothly but the hammer function only engages intermittently. Repeated trigger pulls will eventually engage the hammer function and then it makes concrete seem like butter! So does anyone recognize the symptoms and are you able to suggest a possible corrective action. This tool has sentimental value so I'd like to keep it running and hand it down to my grand nephew.  I was lucky enough to find some bits online. Thanks.

For a start pull it open and see what’s going on there, could be as simple as decayed wires

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 years later...

yeah me too exactly. first I have to keep pressure on the bit in other words keep the bit in contact with the work. second short frequent low RPM bursts. if The motor RPM gets Even a third or halfway up to Max then the hammer part can't catch up. I was thinking there was a missing or broken return spring or maybe just the piston is shot. maybe some sort of fouled up reed. valve I checked and there are no replacement parts or piston rings available.