New 4.5"-6" fuel grinders

Biggie

• 3 months later...

I got my grinder today and while I haven't had a chance to actually use it I thought I would post some first thought. 

It only comes with a 6" guard and I plan on primarily using a 4.5" blade.  The dewalt 60v came with both a 4.5" and 6".  It's also my first milwaukee grinder with the new style guard, which being a dumb person that takes the guard off sometimes I don't really care for the design.

The grinder is very similar in size to the 60v but the handle doesn't feel as ergonomic and you can't grip as close to the head of the grinder.  I don't mind the wider grip on the smaller m18 2780-20 4.5" grinder because it allows you to grip closer to the head but on the new 6" it feels like they should have slimmed down the handle.

I'll report more after I get a chance to use it. Here are some side by side size comparisons.

20190529_211031.thumb.jpg.3a4424e3322895de2a5e791bcd509b66.jpg20190529_211236.thumb.jpg.c548bd70a67fecc118ffd1a76e90fadf.jpg

2.0/6.0ah on the 60v, 6.0ah HO on the m18 6", and 9.0ah HD on the m18 4.5"

20190529_211712.thumb.jpg.cee54aa97a88ba72c245902d466c4260.jpg

3.0/9.0ah on the 60v, 9.0ah HD on the m18 6", and 4.0ah on the m18 4.5".

Definitely curious to see what you think about the new grinder power and battery life wise. We have 3 of the 4.5" version and like them a lot but can always use more power. Disappointing they have such a long handle on the newer one. Thanks for the pictures so far! Will be watching this. 

2 hours ago, btrapper2 said:

Definitely curious to see what you think about the new grinder power and battery life wise. We have 3 of the 4.5" version and like them a lot but can always use more power. Disappointing they have such a long handle on the newer one. Thanks for the pictures so far! Will be watching this. 

Yea I was a little disappointed at just how big it is.  I was thinking it was going to be closer in size to the 4.5" version with just a bump in power.  I don't know what they have inside the handle area but it feels like it should either be shorter or thinner.  It kind of handles like a rat tail grinder and it's like they really have it set up to be used with a side handle.   

I just did a little cleaning up on the welding table grinding some test welds but I would say it's on par with the power of the dewalt 60v.  If you're not familiar with the 60v power, it truly feels like a corded 4.5" grinder.  I still can't comment on run time.  While the extra power is nice in some situations and it'll have its place on my truck,  I think the smaller 4.5" version will still be my go to.

I have the smaller 4.5-5.5” Milwaukee and I use it all the time fabricating. Three things about it. First it eats batteries big time which is sort of what I expected. Not good for big areas like paint stripping but for typical fabricating or even cutting sheet metal it does fine on a 5 Ah battery (or two...). You know when your grinding time on the whole job is under 10 minutes cleaning up welds, putting on bevels, cutting sheet metal, grinding rough edges, removing stuck bolts and nuts. Probably not a good choice for paint stripping or cutting shafts because of long run times.

Second you can easily “bury” it but it’s not going to get away from you if you are in a tight spot and have to use it one handed. I can bury corded ones too. My corded Dewalt has way too much torque to use it one handed in a tight spot. I have the “real” one of those, not the baby.

Third, the batteries will get very hot if you do run it until the battery runs out. At least on the “mid output” 5.0 Ah ones. The HO 9s and 12s might be different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the smaller 4.5-5.5” Milwaukee and I use it all the time fabricating. Three things about it. First it eats batteries big time which is sort of what I expected. Not good for big areas like paint stripping but for typical fabricating or even cutting sheet metal it does fine on a 5 Ah battery (or two...). You know when your grinding time on the whole job is under 10 minutes cleaning up welds, putting on bevels, cutting sheet metal, grinding rough edges, removing stuck bolts and nuts. Probably not a good choice for paint stripping or cutting shafts because of long run times.

Second you can easily “bury” it but it’s not going to get away from you if you are in a tight spot and have to use it one handed. I can bury corded ones too. My corded Dewalt has way too much torque to use it one handed in a tight spot. I have the “real” one of those, not the baby.

Third, the batteries will get very hot if you do run it until the battery runs out. At least on the “mid output” 5.0 Ah ones. The HO 9s and 12s might be different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Much like all of Milwaukee’s new releases they’re designed to use the newer HO packs unfortunately so those of us with stock piles of 5.0s can get short intermittent bursts of work done. I’m sure with the new 8.0 with 21700 cells you can get some respectable run times.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk