Combo Wrenches: What are you using?

Conductor562

Although I agree with the comments about snap-ons prices, and I hate to be "that guy" because I'm new here....

Snap-on wrenches grip the fastener like none other.

Next time your on the truck bring your wrench and get the dealer to do the "wrench demo"

If you turn wrenches all day your basically stuck buying the expensive tools, as far as hand tools go anyway

I suppose you 're using Flank Drive+? Awesome wrenches, but do you use them as your primary set?

Regopit: Bonney made some really fantastic wrenches. They still command a premium to this day.

Nick: The Craftsman models were call "Crossforce". X Beam was the the Gearwrench name for the same thing. Both were OEM'd by Danaher/Apex

• 10 months later...

I'm on the market for another combination wrench set for another tool bag I have. I already own a Craftsman 12pt set. I want a ratcheting set with an offset for knuckle clearance. SAE. Here's a set I found online.

Craftman Standard Racheting Combination Wrench Set

Can you guys give me a few recommendations?

SAE: Craftsman 6 & 12 point, Husky stubbies

Metric: Craftsman 12 point

I intend to pick up some polished Wright, and SK stubbies, and possibly some Armstrong XLs (SAE). I also want to get some Hazet metrics and some SK stubby metrics.

I'm on the market for another combination wrench set for another tool bag I have. I already own a Craftsman 12pt set. I want a ratcheting set with an offset for knuckle clearance. SAE. Here's a set I found online.

Craftman Standard Racheting Combination Wrench Set

Can you guys give me a few recommendations?

Consider these Wiz:

http://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-2108-Combination-Ratcheting-10-Piece/dp/B00FFUPTXS

I reviewed a set last year. Good wrenches for the price. They come in metric as well. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have a few sets of traditional Craftsman combo wrenches at work and a set of their ratcheting combos (love these)

In my personal tool box i have a set of husky wrenches, a small set of husky stubby wrenches, and a set of GearWrench ratcheting combos. I love using the ratcheting wrenches, Id rather use those than a socket 95% of the time. 

I kind of feel that a lot of guys talk up SnapOn because they are trying to justify the cost to themselves? I have used them quite a bit in the past and I can't see the benefit of hem? They are a bit skinny for my industry where we often end up wailing on spanners (wrenches) with a hammers. My absolute favourite wrenches are (and you will love the name) King Dick. They are a UK classic and are as tough as they come. I have an inherited combination spanner from the 1950's which has spent it's entire life being abused in heavy industries like ship building. I put a vernier calliper across the open end which was all beat up and it was exactly 15/16th just as it was when it left the factory. They are not the sexiest wrenches around. No super slim grips or x-beam technology. If you order from the factory they will acid etch your name on them though!

Thats pretty cool they will etch you name in the tools. I really like that. I have a hard time justifying SnapOn prices or any of the truck brands. I get the offer financing and buying off the truck convenience but the prices are crazy you could save a ton of money shopping around other brands.

I kind of feel that a lot of guys talk up SnapOn because they are trying to justify the cost to themselves? I have used them quite a bit in the past and I can't see the benefit of hem? They are a bit skinny for my industry where we often end up wailing on spanners (wrenches) with a hammers. My absolute favourite wrenches are (and you will love the name) King Dick. They are a UK classic and are as tough as they come. I have an inherited combination spanner from the 1950's which has spent it's entire life being abused in heavy industries like ship building. I put a vernier calliper across the open end which was all beat up and it was exactly 15/16th just as it was when it left the factory. They are not the sexiest wrenches around. No super slim grips or x-beam technology. If you order from the factory they will acid etch your name on them though!

Are King Dick still the same tools? I seem to recall reading somewhere that the newer KD tools have been offshored, but I could be wrong about that...

Are King Dick still the same tools? I seem to recall reading somewhere that the newer KD tools have been offshored, but I could be wrong about that...

A lot of the later KD stuff was off shored, but Apex began phasing KD out altogether last year. All of the products formerly sold under the KD name have been rolled into the Gearwrench line.  

I'm pretty sure KIng Dick are still made in Birmingham, England. They are made by Abington King Dick company. Looking at some of their tool boxes etc that stuff might be offshored but afaik the spanners are still made onsite in the UK. I think it was K-D tools that were Apex owned not Abington King Dick?

A lot of the later KD stuff was off shored, but Apex began phasing KD out altogether last year. All of the products formerly sold under the KD name have been rolled into the Gearwrench line.

Whoops, I confused the issue with trying to shorten King Dick, forgetting that KD was the precursor to Gearwrench....