What Compressor Pulley?

stevon

Question about my recently purchased used compressor ($250). It is an old store bought 60 Gal, Sanborn 2 stage with a T29 pump head (51-17-60V) , currently running at 1400RPM! (Max Pump speed listed for head) the motor running it is a 3470 rpm HF 3 HP, SF 1.15 (a bogus 3HP, probably a 2HP overrated). I turned compressor on and the amps were at 18 amps @245 volts @ 50 PSI pressure in the tank. the SFA on the motor says 14.2 amps. Shut it down when it reached 70 PSI or so. I need help slowing/cooling this baby down! Pump flywheel Dia is 14.5 and motor sheave is currently 6 inches. I don't expect the motor to last long in it's current dragster setup.
Question is will a 4.75 size pulley be too big? That will slow the pump to 1100 rpm. Since this is a compressor, overloading the motor slightly using compressor at 50% or less duty cycle I figure I'll get away with it. I can always lower the shutoff pressure if amps become too high right?
Any advice? anyone ever do this?

Sanborn 60 Gallon.png

• Like 1