Dewalt Atomic

Framer joe

• 3 weeks later...

Just marketing...I bought the 2 tool kit for $179..they are crap. Not small and no balls...I returned it already..maybe diy guys will buy them.

...as you know I use dewalt (/flexvolt and 20v max)heavily for framing ,but this stuff is all marketing .

@Biggie..I'm with ya on impacts at max torque , we only use impacts for up to 3" screws..and All our decks are screwed off with drill drivers , much faster then impacts ( cortex plugs and screws)...

...the 791 and makita drill are the fastest. The new gen 3 fuel drill sucked...waste of my money.

Yea the atomic series or at least the impact seems to be a pretty epic fail.  I was hopeful too because I've always liked makitas approach at sub compact tools but I'm not in that battery platform.  I was also kind of excited to see dewalts 12v line up get revamped but if they're the same size as the atomic with just a 12v battery I would think dewalt would be nervous about releasing them after the atomic flop. 

• Like 1

The atomic impact is only smaller in one dimension vs the 887. Everyone seems to be comparing the atomic, an entry level impact, to the 887, a premium level impact, but when compared to DeWALT's entry level impact the 885 or the brushless counterpart to the 885, is the atomic not better?

@Jronman..the point is its called Atomic...should be small and powerful, its not much better in either case...Ridgid "octane" is significantly better then gen 5x....dewalt should focus on upgrading the 20v line,smaller and more powerful...expanding the flexvolt line significantly... And make craftsman 90% in America and All craftsman hand tools in the USA

Dewalt should have delayed releasing the Atomic until they could design a suitable impact driver. They did go with the right form factor on the drill in my opinion, emphasizing a little more on short vs narrow relative to the Makita subcompact. I’ll be interested in seeing a performance comparison test sometime. But holding the Atomic impact in my hand, I’m incredulous even seeing how they could think labeling it Atomic made any sense.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Anybody see the Home Depot 20v trimmer "deal" . It's dcst925. I'm guessing it's a diy Home Depot cheap version Compared to the original one like I have: dcst920 that's been working great since initial release.