New Makita impact

Framer joe

Anyone buy it yet ? I'm looking to buy one.Screenshot_20190313-003421.thumb.png.66c8c0a09d967e1be25e6d389cb70c33.png

Yup, insanely smooth, quick shift button is programmable, I have the gen 3 Milwaukee too powers similar but the Makita is so much more refined its like Milwaukee’s a loud v8 muscle car and the mak is a German sports car, both will get you in a hurry but ones much more refined

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I plan to upgrade my Makita impact drill to DTD171 as well. Most trade-end Makita impact drivers are durable and reliable. It survives rain, dust and drops. I dropped mine off a 4m high scaffold straight onto concrete more than once but it still works to this very day. It simply won't die.

However, I cannot guarantee how well these new generation of Makita drivers fair on drop tests due to increased on-board electronics and switches. I can guarantee the transparent plastic nose ring and its glow-in-the-dark rubber are the first things to go on a rough job-site environment; only affects the look.

• Like 1

@Jronman please tell me your not watching the biggest hack channel on YT ? They are not even a construction Co and they are greatly sponsored by milwaukee... Have you ever seen or heard of a dewalt 877 smoking ?( 4 different models) Every review on YT has been 100% positive on the 877. It has won or tied every tool challenge for 3 yrs and my company and every other company I Know has had no problems ever doing real framing with the 877.

.... They rig tools for views. They give real construction co a bad name....

https://www.protoolreviews.com/tools/best-18v-impact-driver-head-to-head-review/43129/

I think this comparison is a bit more likely to be objectively trustworthy. Sure everyone could be paying people behind the curtains for any of these YouTube reviewers and certain performance tests can always be hand-picked to favor one product or another, but there are a decent number of hard measurements in here that are hard to argue with. For what it’s worth the Gen 3 finished number two behind the Makita but does have higher max power.

Personally I think with impact drivers we’re moving past the days when max power should be the primary metric. Compact brushless motors have long since surpassed the mechanical limits of what’s sensible for the 1/4” hex format; if you need more use an impact wrench with appropriate size drive. They even say this exact thing at the end of this review. Buying 1/4” drives just to stick 1/2” adapters on that you keep breaking isn’t enhancing utility for anything.

• Like 2

@ToolBane... Saw that as I get there posts. Hercules and Craftsman over the 887 ? And Ridgid at #11??.... Clint and numbnuts are very bias. They are also heavily sponsored. ...

.... Watch "Skill Builder" he is actually in the trades for 30yrs... or even "Oz Tools" they are pretty fair. Of course I like "real tool reviews" and "workshop addict"...

...I've come to appreciate Makita precision and quality, they just lack power. 

Eh I think it’s just a tight field for a tool that, in my opinion at least, has very tightly defined optimums. Totally different from drills or circular saws where the ideal for any given person or application can be all sorts of different sizes and power ranges. Sure I raised my brows a bit too at where they place the Hercules and even more the Craftsman. I suspect the Hercules they probably boosted due to the value argument, maybe that was their thinking with the Craftsman too although I’m less enthused about that one. There’s a reliability question that’s not really going to be easy to address in a test like this.

Still, as far as the Dewalt was concerned, it did have several “middle of the road” performance results; its best asset is being one of the lighter impacts but it was also 2nd loudest. I suspect that’s what killed it, actually. Everything together, to me a number 6 ranking isn’t unreasonable. It’s also not really all that bad out of a tight field of 16. Given how close everything else was, everything after the top-2 they could have put in any order they felt like from where I sit. There were no consistent trends for anyone even the Makita and Milwaukee had results where they were below average.

Same thing I really don’t think the Ridgid at 11 is such a terrible result either, as it’s performance was similarly “middle of the road” most of the way while being one of the larger and heavier drivers in the pack.

It’s just not like any of these impacts are all that bad. I have that Ryobi brushless, I use it, it has solid power, and it placed 3rd from last in this test and that isn’t hurting my feelings.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Framer joe said:

@Jronman please tell me your not watching the biggest hack channel on YT ? They are not even a construction Co and they are greatly sponsored by milwaukee... Have you ever seen or heard of a dewalt 877 smoking ?( 4 different models) Every review on YT has been 100% positive on the 877. It has won or tied every tool challenge for 3 yrs and my company and every other company I Know has had no problems ever doing real framing with the 877.

I wasn't trying to hate on the Makita in fact I would probably buy the Makita over the Milwaukee. I was just merely stating the outcome of one test I seen between the 2 impacts. 

To answer your first question, I don't watch all their videos. In fact I hardly ever watch their videos and have kinda lost interest in the channel. I may watch bits and pieces but I'm not going to spend and hour or more watching 2 guys throw in all sorts of lags, screws, drill bits, etc. into a piece of wood or metal. Their videos are starting to become stale. 80% of their videos now are just about one drill/impact vs another. 

I agree I haven't heard of the DCF887 smoking. I haven't had any issues with mine either, but has every reviewer given it a 100%? no. Have people had problems with them? yes. It may be near the top of the pack when it comes to tool comparisons but it doesn't mean there are no problems with it. The more common complaints in these reviews are the precision drive mode, speed selector, and battery charge indicator. As much as I like DeWALT tools and will continue to buy their stuff, they aren't perfect. 

On 3/16/2019 at 4:19 PM, Jronman said:

In a VCG video I watched the gen 3 was clearly more powerful and faster. The Makita may be more refined and have a few extra drive modes but in terms of raw performance the Gen 3 is it.

I have both, Gen 3 Milwaukee is very powerful maybe more than the Makita but lets put this into perspective... what would you rather drive everyday?

An oversized V8 muscle car that can't make corners, rides like crap but when you put your foot on the gas it just goes

Or a refined smaller biTurbo V8 that makes a lot of horsepower but has the luxuries and comforts that you don't feel the bumpy road. 

Thats how I view the Man verse the Milwaukee, the Milwaukee is just straight up power, good amount of feed back and vibration but balls to the wall power, the Makita will keep up, but is so much more refined and more comfortable to use, more on board electronics for various modes, a little slimmer and about the same length.

They are both awesome impacts don't get me wrong but you can tell Makita knows their stuff with impacts, the chuck keeps the bits to near zero wobble.

• Like 1

On 3/16/2019 at 4:33 PM, Framer joe said:

Yea I remember seeing that video... my reaction was nearly 2 years after the tools has been on the market tried and true it smokes? Yea... okay I ran that tool a good amount of time and put it through its paces, ran way cooler than any red impact I've ever used. Those guys need a mute button if you ask me.. a reason alone I've really shied away from Youtube for a while, giving people that enjoy tools and playing with them a bad name...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I have not just heard that they produce 2 series one at Japan one in China.

And the harest bite to swallow is that the quality differancial is there.

Dont ask me for number quantifications i can deliver that but what i have seen on now multiple channels is the plastic and build quality is like a Ferrari and a cheapo Fiat car.

Im from Europe and we get here 3 Years warranty the supplieres here wont sell you Japanese made tools but would love to sell you made in China.

Tells me the margins must in relation to die-fast machine must be high.

When a tool is not heavy used its robustness suits hobby usage well because when it is usex 50 times a year it will not appear fast as  a lesser quality product.

In inversion Makita tools bought from Japan come with one year warranty, thats it. 

Now you may be thinking "why sell a bad build tool with a longer warranty?" 

Because you sell more! That is a trigger rubbing, the need of safety.

May buy in Japan because those original made tools are from higher quality. I wont buy a cheapo knock of i dont like to pay twice.

Good tools delivee good work and both come with a high pricetags soooooo...

Buy once cry ones ;)

AvE (a popular Canadian YouTuber who specialized in tool teardowns) pointed out the differences when he tore down a Japanese-made Makita drill.  It's been a few months, but the gist of the video is that Makita is still making high quality tools for the Japanese market while cutting corners for the Chinese-produced tools sold in other markets.  I can't/won't say that a Chinese-produced tool is complete garbage (I own nearly every major brand besides Makita), but I will say that they are designed for, and produced with, the most cost-efficient parts to balance quality versus price-point.  

• Like 1

I was happy to skip this model as my 170 was still fairly new for me, and unlike the 171 all of the 170s were Made In Japan. Now the 172 is coming, and we’ll just have to see where they are made. Frankly if I decide to get one, it will probably be out of Japan anyway...for that awesome purple color.